Yard Sale find today!!

Ramseybella

AK Member
Picked this up today from a yard sale Belgian Philips CD-40 deck and HDCD Roxy Music Avalon CD for $10.00.
The deck has it's war scars but Plays without missing a beat solid tray and nice sound as well.

I have too one of the Philips players that uses that multibit DAC chip TDA1541 (mine is Sylvania CD473, that's an actual Philips CD473). Actually it was the player that pushed me towards multibit players. At that point I was a SACD fan, had a few Universal CD/DVD players and my AVR was/is capable of decoding HDCD/SACD digital streams.
Of course all of those Universal players where using delta-sigma chips and I didn't know that CD can sound so good until I modded my CD473 (rolled OpAmps, added capacitors...).

Enjoy!

PS: That linked mod to NOS is garbage. Tried it, and.. I am not a NOS believer.

I was reading on the TDA1541A and there seems to be a difference between them TDA1541A-R1 as in this deck was more for mid Consumer decks and the TDA1541A-S1 was for the high end decks.
Whats the story? as one can go nuts with this stuff I am half def I still can tell differences among my decks maybe not all the nuances.
As thus far nothing has touched my Rotel RCD-990 find.:king:

Last edited:
It might be a difference, but at that level, the rest of the circuit starts to have an equal importance, but all are basically diminishing returns. Dropping a Single Crown TDA1541A in a regular player won't do too much (if anything) for the overall sound.

PS: The Rotel RCD-990 uses the PCM63. In my opinion, all the PCM 61, 63, 1702, 1704 chips sound better than the TDA1541A. Not to say that the TDA is bad in any way...

I agree on the Rotel, the Philips sounds excellent enough for the spare room department but a Cat can't scratch the Rotel as of yet.
Looking for the Holy Grail on a budget is an endless Quest isn't it?

Swing arm CDM transport classic. TDA 1541 DAC, as a rule excellent sounding stock. And modder paradise (especially the output stages)

Hi Ramseybella, Good Find!!. Look up the Marantz CD-40 manuals for info. Found a Phillips CD-60 for $5 yard sale. The remote still had the original batteries. Had to look up the Marantz version for the manuals.

Back
Top Bottom