Yard sale finds.

Johnny

Senior Slacker
1 ea, EV driver 12BW,very good condition. If anyone here wants it drop me a PM. 1ea JBL L100, drivers are in perfect shape, picked up for $5. And one each cornerhorn clone. The guy built it himself , have not picked it up yet, its about 150 pounds. He says theres 80 pounds of sand in there. Was made in the 60s he used Jensen drivers and some large horn I could not identify in his dark basement. The Xover looked like a the inside of an amp, I'll have more info in about an hour, a friends going to help me lug it out of the basement. $50.00

J

The big speaker I picked up (almost killed me) is a Jensen Imperial. I'd say its closer to 200 pounds. This is going to be fun. Now to find some plans so I can build a mate for it.

Back in awhile, going to tear into her and see whats what. Anybody know anything about the Jensen Imperial ?

J

I have a Jensen Imperial. It has a rounded front and columns in front of gold looking grill cloth. I'll post a pic.

Ed

2 basic types of Imperial horns. One is called a Built In, or Build in because I guess it was meant to be part of the wall. You need to provide a pic so I can tell you which it is, and yes, plans for building Imperials are readily available.

Ed, I think Grumpy has or had the same Deco styled Imperial as you. Yall should talk. A pair of those would be great and they are set up to take many types of drivers.

Well I can tell you its not the built in wall type. It looks to be made to go in a corner. Its a folded horn design, 1 15 inch jensen driver, dunno the #, can get inside it just yet. But the horn on top just has "Jensen H/F unit with high compression driver" no numbers. Also has one smaller tweeter shaped rather like a desk bell if you get my meaning.

I've got er playing some Charlie Mingus at the moment. I dont think I've ever heard a more realistic sounding speaker. This is in mono obviously, but I'm quite impressed. This thing is very big. Its filling the entire house with music and I have the volume knob on 2. I think I may have found something here. Damn I'm excited.

edit- One other thing, I'm not quite sure If I have the polarity right. It sounds fine but :dunno:

J

Last edited:
Here is a pic of a pair that have been tricked out. They have the TOTL Jensen coax drivers in them and are turned upside down so the tweeters are not at shin level.

Well those are just gorgeous !!! Sadly those look nothing like mine. I'll have a pic up soon I hope. The folded horn openings are on both sides on the front, if you look at it from an overhead view, its shaped like a diamond.

Also has the gold grill cloth. Which I will be replacing. I belive two of these would bring the walls down. Talk about dynamic !

J

-edit- I was just on that site Thatch. I saw none that look like mine. Great pic though :D

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Jensen/bulletin3-4.jpg

Thats pretty much the cab design for the Jensen I have Thatch. Thanks for your input, I really need some schoolin'.

-edit- My cab is 39" tall and 41" wide. One crossover network has a model A-402 and the other large black one has model A-61.

Dunno if that means anything to you :dunno:

Last edited:
It means if ya have the right drivers in that bod boy you got one mighty expensive speaker. Pics would be helpful as well as driver numbers. ;)

Dave

I will try and get some pics up tomorrow. I could prolly take some now with my web cam, but I dont think that would help much. It is damn near impossible to get in the cab itself. This thing was built very VERY stout !! Did I mention it weighs about 200 lbs.

I have never used this word related to audio anything, but the sound coming from this baby is - breath taking - The guy I bought it from is just a hell of a nice guy, 80 years old, seems to know a thing or two about speakers. Made a good friend. He said he thought he'd never sell it, but he got a kick out of my enthusiasm.

I'd swear he was getting a little misty eyed while my buddy and I were loading it up in my truck. I felt like I was robbing the guy. I can understand how he felt. Said he put alot of blood and sweat into making them. Used top of the line everything and that was back in 58 and its still working, WELL. Amazing to me.

J

Also Grump, there are no #'s on the drivers on top. The super tweeter or the mid horn. The mid horn has on the end, " Jensen High Fidelity H/F unit with High Compression Driver"

Stamped on the horn itself is the number 5835 or maybe its 5935, hard to tell. Mean anything to ya ?

J

Last edited:
This is a factory built Imperial. If yours uses the same drivers it would not be worth the same kind of dough BUT if it has the same driver.......Well just the Tweets sell for over 500.00 Thats over twice what a set of Khorn tweets go for.

Just wanted to add that I am a huge fan of Mono. pop some jazz on LP pumping through that bad boy and it can be Heaven

When you get some pics post em or send em to me. I love keeping pics of speakers such as those.

All Jensen drivers usually have a EIA code that starts 220XXX This will tell you what year and month they were made in. Also on the tweets check to see if there is a number that starts RP-XXX. It should be RP-302 if I recall.

Back
Top Bottom