Yard Sale Marantz

cgnman59

Today my wife and I went "yard sailing" with my wife looking for cheap furniture while I am looking for cheap electronics, same old song and dance right? I've never been in the right place at the right time for those one of a kind finds until today. At one house this guy is selling a nice looking little Marantz amp. It looks very nice and I ask him if it works? He says, "It worked fine the last time I used it several years ago." Well he's only asking $5 so I tell him I'll take a chance and fork over $5. It's a Marantz 1030 amp. Once I get it home and hook it up I slowly bring up the volume. Outside of some scratchiness on the volume control while I turn it up, it sounds great! I'm very impressed with this little amp. A nice sound with good clarity and presence. After a good cleaning with deoxit, I will find a suitable place for it. Oh yeah after feeling good about picking up a Marantz amp for five bucks, my wife asks me why I didn't bargain the guy down? Oh well. Pix to follow. Of the amp that is!

Your wife is right. You should have offered him $4.50. :yes:

No, not really.

Nice find.

Rob

Exit, stage left.

nice find, a lovely little 15w/ch marantz- the baby brother to the famous 1060. Here is a pic from the marantz catalogue for you.:thmbsp:

Attachments

• Scan0001 (Medium).JPG
    Scan0001 (Medium).JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 115
Just scored one last week from a friend for 20 bucks, only had a scratch in the faceplate where I assume the owner liked the volume set. Tight, clean lil' amp. Went in the bedroom.

Also scored a Sony STR 7065a for 80 bucks, which has a fingernail size piece of veneer missing on the top right corner. Other than that cosmetic gaffe, she's a real beauty. All lights work, and sounds magnificient. But, back to the Marantz....

yeah, their build quality was ridiculous. Just take a look at the layout. Very neat.

Nice find ! Mine is in the bedroom. A cousin give it to me ten years ago. I like the sound of this little amp, the look and the build quality. It is one of the cause of my Marantz addiction.

Thanks for the responses and the pic restorer-John. Mine does not have the wood case but the metal case is painted brown. What year(s) was this amp produced? The fellow that owned this took really good care of it as it is in really excellent condition.

That is a nice score. If it has the wooden box, you are really stylin'. I love garage sales/estate sales; they are good for that sort of thing.

I am having a garage sale later this month. I will have a couple of Marantz units for sale (2215b, 2220b, 2230). However, anybody hoping to find "garage sale" prices on them are going to be disappointed as I am well aware of what they are worth. Besides, I want to sell them to people who want to use them in their home....not to turn around and sell them on ePay for profit.

Good job on your score.

Mine doesn't have the wood box, but that is okay. I tend to purchase vintage equipment for family and friends who also appreciate good music but don't know what good equipment is or worse think that good equipment is some BPC you buy in a big box store. This little Marantz has so far been my best score. As a note of interest I saw on one website that restores and sells vintage equipment that they recently had one of these amps in and although it was rated for 15 wpc, tested out to 23 wpc. Okay, I'm going to try to get pix taken later today and posted.

cgnman59 said:
Mine doesn't have the wood box, but that is okay. I tend to purchase vintage equipment for family and friends who also appreciate good music but don't know what good equipment is or worse think that good equipment is some BPC you buy in a big box store. This little Marantz has so far been my best score. As a note of interest I saw on one website that restores and sells vintage equipment that they recently had one of these amps in and although it was rated for 15 wpc, tested out to 23 wpc. Okay, I'm going to try to get pix taken later today and posted.

Great Deal! I love to hear about scores like this!:banana: :thmbsp:

cgnman59 said:
Thanks for the responses and the pic restorer-John. Mine does not have the wood case but the metal case is painted brown. What year(s) was this amp produced? The fellow that owned this took really good care of it as it is in really excellent condition.

It's very easy to check the year of production of your 1030.
Under the top cover or on the chassis (you should remove the top cover) you should find a stamp with the year month and day.

Tony

Pix of 1030 attached

Attachments

• 1030vgafront02.jpg
    1030vgafront02.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 1030backvga.jpg
    1030backvga.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 1030intvga01.jpg
    1030intvga01.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 1030intvga02.jpg
    1030intvga02.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 53
Ya done good!

As others have said -- sweet little amp!

Always glad to know an AKer got the good one!

It's definitely a keeper. :yes:

Enjoy. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom