Yard Sale Score

Tripqzon

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Yesterday when I got home from work my son told me that he went to a yard sale in my neighborhood and saw a Marantz 125 tuner for $1.00. It was after 5:00 and the yard sale was closed for the day. I figured that it was probably gone anyway so I didn't think much of it.

This morning on my way to work I decided to swing by and see for the heck of it if it was still there. To my surprise it was. The person running the yard sale said that he didn't know anything about stereo equipment so he couldn't tell me anything about it. I figured for $1.00 it was worth a shot, even with a broken FM button. I tell you it was a long day at work waiting to get home to test it.

Tonight when I got home I took my shower then got busy tesing the tuner. It works :banana: .
I proceeded to clean it up. It took about 3 hours for me to get it to where it looks satisfactory to me for now.

It does have some issues though. The FM, AM, DOLBY, STEREO and HIGH BLEND lights don't work. I assume it is just the bulbs. I can't see an easy way to access the bulbs to replace them. Can anyone help me with this. Also the FM switch is broken, although it still works. Upon closer examination, it appears that the shaft of the switch is broken and of course the chrome button is also missing. Is there a source for parts for this vintage tuner. I see the Bob (Vintage Electronics) has a bulb kit for about $18.00 with shipping.

How did this tuner rate in its time? Was it considered high, mid or low end?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• marantz 125 small.jpg
    marantz 125 small.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 298
From The Tuner Information site:

"Our contributors Tim and Ann had this to say: "The 125 is the same tuner as the 150 sans the scope, scope inputs and scope controls. And neither tuner has variable selectivity so if you can do a filter change on this tuner, you're stuck with whatever filter slopes you choose when you have the filters installed. We owned a 125 years ago and liked it, but we didn't have any selectivity issues and did not need to DX, and we thought it sounded particularly good on live studio broadcasts. But we also brought home an Accuphase T-100 and T-101 to compare and both the Accuphase Tuners sounded a bit better and were a bit more sensitive on weak stations we generally didn't listen to (and a whole lot more expensive!). We also tried a Kenwood KT-8005 and a Kenwood KT-8007 and liked the sound of the Marantz 125 better. Finally, the dial lights on the 125 and the 150 are notorious for burning out and they are soldered in and are a pain in the butt to replace. You have to be careful not to burn the plastic dial with the soldering iron when removing the bad lights and soldering in the new lights." Another tuner fan reported that the lights in some 125s (later production runs?) may have been clipped in, but we have not confirmed this. The 125 used LC filters, rather than ceramics, and would not be suitable for a filter mod to increase selectivity. The 125 is very common on eBay, usually $150-200 or higher in good condition or $80-120 in fair-to-poor condition. If in excellent condition and with a wooden cabinet, the collectors salivate and up to $320-400 is possible."

Wonderful score. :thmbsp:

Thanks Urizen. I've read lots about Marantz on AK but never thought that I would be able to afford to own any. But, for the price I paid I guess I can afford it and putting a liitle work, or should I say TLC, into it is well worth it to me.

I've got tons of soldering experience, but would like some info on how to access them before I attempt it.

How many gangs is the FM tuner?

Paul

Great score! I still have you beat, though, I found my 125 in the garbage! The 125 is a great tuner, 5 gang frontend, very sensitive and excellent selectivity, low noise, great sound. Replacing the lamps is easy, it uses fuse lamps, 8V 250mAI think, for the dial and meters. The function lamps are 8V 40mA. Don't spend $18 on them it's way high. AK member dgwojo has them cheap. You can contact him through his website or PM him. Here's his website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dwojo/index.html
Make sure you tell him you're an AK member, he gives us a discount.
To access the lamps, remove the top cover. Toward the front of the unit you will see a white plastic housing, Remove that, it is secured with 2 screws, then it pulls backwards. Inside it you will see the lamps for the dial, and if memory serves, the function lamps are mini lamps with wires attached, 8V, 40mA, and I think they are in there also. They have to be soldered in. You can cut the wires and splice the new lamps to the old wires, but solder the splces and insulate them with heat shrinkable tubing if you do it that way.

I thought I got the deal of the century, but you did beat me out. :tears:

I will have to get into it tomorrow and look for what you describe. Also thanks for the heads up on purchasing the bulbs.

Thanks,
Paul

Hey Warren,

I opened her up today to check out the bulb situation. You were correct in your volt/amp rating on these things. I posted a pic for you to look at. Are the lamps fed by AC or DC volts?

By the way, I've been listening to it for a few hours now and have to say that I like it. I wouldn't put it at the level of my TX-11A for sensitivity or openess, but it is pleasing to the ear and cool to look at. I've always been a big fan of analog meters on tuners also.

By the way, I tried to email Dwojo from his website and my email program tells me that the email address is not in the proper format.

Paul

Attachments

• marantz 125 002 small.jpg
    marantz 125 002 small.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Those are 8V 40mA Bi-Pin lamps. The e-mail addy always works for me. Try PMing him.
The 125 should be very sensitive, it might need alignment and cleaning. If you don't like it I'll pay you double what you paid for it!

I have another question. I notice from researching on the web that some 125's have the lettering in the middle of the faceplate that read "Am/Fm Stereophonic Tuner Model 125" and others in the upper left corner that only read "Model 125" such as mine. I assume they are different generation production. Which one would be the older version?

Attached is an image of the two versions so you can see what I'm talking about.

Paul

Attachments

• 125 comparison.jpg
    125 comparison.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hi Tripqzon,

What a nice looking tuner and what a buy--with or without the button and lights! I'm sure that you can find a replacement button. Stories like your score are real treats to read. Excellent!

Mine has the extra script in the center. I suspect the one you have is older, since Marantz had a tendency to be plainer on the older models.

wajobu said:
Hi Tripqzon,

What a nice looking tuner and what a buy--with or without the button and lights! I'm sure that you can find a replacement button. Stories like your score are real treats to read. Excellent!

I feel pretty lucky. I read about people picking up stuff like HPM-100's for $10.00 a piece or a pair and it makes me sick. I wonder if that will ever happen to me. Then along came this deal. I couldn't pass it up. I figured worst case if it didn't work that I could sell it to someone here on AK for shipping cost only. But as it turns out, she's a keeper.

I'm in the process of getting replacement lamps for her now. I don't know what I'll do about the FM switch yet. It appears that the shaft of the switch is sheared off, but I can't figure out how to remove a button from another of the switches to find out for sure. I don't want to risk breaking one to find out.

Paul

dr*audio said:
Mine has the extra script in the center. I suspect the one you have is older, since Marantz had a tendency to be plainer on the older models.

Thanks Warren,
That's what I was figuring but wanted some kind of verification. I am going to try to find a service manual and owners manual for it since I currently plan to keep it.
Paul

The plastic shafts on the switches break off. The best way to replace it is get a new push switch. You can examine the switch and see how many pins are on it. Generally all these push switches have 2 rows of pins, and each row has several single pole double throw switches. A set of 3 pins makes up one double throw switch. If you count the total pins and divide by 3 you get the number of switches, called poles. So you want an alternate action (push - push) n-pole double throw switch with a mounting flange on the front (chassis mount). I think the 125 switches are all mounted in pc boards, so you need a switch with pc mount terminals. Digikey has pushbutton switches, and all you need then is the cap.
Or you can get the cap and attempt to glue the cap onto what's left of the switch shaft, which sometimes works. Do not pull any of the other buttons off, because that's how the shafts break, they get brittle with age.

Warren,

I found a replacement in my stock of electronic parts. I believe I removed from an Audiovox 40 watt car stereo power booster years ago. I pulled the shaft completely out of the switch housing to examine the contacts and they look brand spankin' new. :thmbsp:

I just finished the transplant and hooked her back up. Everyting is :tresbon: . Just how lucky can I get.

I was searching the bay and a switch cap turned up. http://cgi.ebay.com/MARANTZ-POWER-B...oryZ3284QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I know the shipping is a little pricey, but I didn't know when another would show up, so I did the BIN thing. Call me superstitious, but I believe that someone wanted me to have this tuner. :yes:

Paul

Last edited:
The link didn't work, but I think the button will! On my 4240 the power button is the same size as the others, so I think it should work. Great job on the switch! :thmbsp: You will like the 125. I am listening to mine right now! :music:
You can see it in the left side of this picture:
34775%3C269%7Ffp344%3Enu%3D3279%3E83%3A%3E388%3EWSNRCG%3D32335%3B%3C%3B43%3C96nu0mrj

Last edited:
Great score!

I have the 125 with the script text in the middle. I also have the woodcase and manual. But I paid $285 if I remember correctly. I searched specifically for the 125 because it was one of Marantz's better tuners. I replaced couple of the bulbs which takes a little patience and the paper thing to get it to shine a pretty blue. It sounds great with my 4140.

I tried the link and it worked for me. I posted a pic so you can see which one it is.

I have been listening to it since Friday night and have to say that I do enjoy it. I should have new bulbs in a few days and the switch cap.

I just love the layout of the circuit boards and wiring. The tons of shielding and simplicity of it really add to its appeal imo.

I'm jealous of you Onepixel. You have the wood case. I'm tempted to build a case and give it the red oak treatment. Wonder how she'd look in blonde? :D

Paul

Attachments

• 125 button.JPG
    125 button.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
That looks like the correct button to me. I hope I find a wood cabinet for mine one day...

My wife says that building a case for it would be a nice project for me. How do you think it would look in red oak?

Paul

Back
Top Bottom