1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Yard sale suggestions desired

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by 4thChoice, Jun 12, 2017.

1. 4thChoice

4thChoice AK Subscriber Subscriber

Will be having a Yard Sale this weekend. What advice/suggestions do you have. One I will be using is an "Early Bird" policy where they will be tolerated, but at a premium of 30%. Plan to be somewhat flexible on some/most prices and will apply a "volume discount" for "large" purchases.

2. stevo137

stevo137 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Place add in Craigslist with photos of things to be sold highlighting and promoting.

Good visible signs with arrows and address on main streets near your house on the day of the sale.

I like to put a small stereo out playing some music, (not too loud) as I'm usually selling some speakers or something when we have our community sale.

Have fun with the people!

It's a great American pastime.

Good selling!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    toxcrusadr likes this.
  3. hi*ball

hi*ball Records & Coffee Subscriber

Have at least 2 other people there with you.

Don't bother with price tags - too time consuming.

Be willing to negotiate and offer volume discounts for the hoarders that show up (they WILL show up!)

Have fun. Beer always helps.

4. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

I disagree about price tags. It's your sale and you are obligated to do your homework; your buyers shouldn't have to ask.
    If you really want to piss folks off, print up eBay listings that haven't sold and tape them to your items. That will guarantee them to be there when you pack up...

olson_jr likes this.
  5. BobHol

BobHol Old fart Subscriber

I did this once and made a dumb mistake. The Craigslist ad gave my phone number along with where and when. I got a call for one piece of equipment the guy said he'd show up at my opening time The ad stated had NO EARLY SALES.
    Come sale day. I start playing tunes early. Feeling real good. People are waiting and I sell the piece of equipment that the caller had wanted. He shows up at opening time to find me accepting cash for the piece he wanted. He wasn't happy. It was all my fault and I finally reduced the price on some other stuff to try to appease him. I'm not a good salesman.

6. squirrelnest

squirrelnest Addicted Member

Carry a gun!

7. jcamero

jcamero You Can't Close the Door When the Wall's Caved IN! Subscriber

I've had numerous sales. Price to move your items. BIG MISTAKE TO OVERPRICE! Be organized, shirts, tops on a rack, (I used conduit suspended from the garage rafters), pants folded, arranged by size is really helpful. Discounts for volume, if someone has a armful of cloths, negotiate a fair price for all. Remember you are downsizing, and really do not want to take it back in the house or drive it to a donation center of your choice. To attract the MALE shopper, and not a drive by. The male species needs to see the guy stuff from the road, and will never stop if its in the back of the dark garage. Baby/toddler stuff out front is a repellent too! Be sure your layout, (tables of merchandise) is shopper friendly, lots of room to walk around without being bumped by other shoppers. Try not to have stuff under the tables, (it may not be seen). If the weather is going to be hot, have a cooler or two of water on ice for sale, charge less that a gas station, you will make a little extra. Keep an eye on the till. As soon as you see you are making a good amount of money, skim off as much as possible and take it in the house. Expect a rush, then a lull, then a rush. Make conversation with the shoppers, they like the friendliness, but not to the point they stop looking. Expect some price tag swapping, as well as "five finger discounts".

Bobcat likes this.
  8. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

A lot of people instead of just asking if you'll take less will just hand you less and wait for you to take it. Had a guy come over for a $10 cassette deck which was a screaming deal (very nice hardly used JVC dual deck). "Yeah well I had to get gas" or some BS. "I have $9?" I mean it's a $10 tape deck, and you're going to cheap out for an extra buck? Be ready to say no.

Flippers and flea marketers and thrift store people may pile up several items and make you an offer, and when you price it out it turns out one or more items are just free if you take the offer. So take your time and counteroffer or just say no if appropriate.

All that said, price things to sell and don't expect miracles at a one day sale.

9. cgutz

cgutz AK Member

Stumbled across a yard sale that was actually an "estate sale" from an older fellow that died. He collected high end vintage audio gear and there was some really nice stuff in boxes, some NIB. Rotel, Nakamichi, Bozak, Thorens, etc. Stuff I've read about here, but have never seen in my area.

Everything used had a handwritten note from the deceased either "Working" or exactly what was wrong with it. He had diagnosed and probably intended to repair someday.

The family had prices from ebay.

Now, I live in a small town in Midwest. Probably less than a handful people in the 10k residents have actually heard of any of these brands. I've lived here 20 years and have only run into one other "audiofool."

I told them while the prices weren't "unfair" they just didn't have the correct market. I drooled and would have like to own some of it if it had been a 'scroe' - but I can't pay the prices they were asking, even though not necessarily out of bounds ( I just don't have the money, I'm midfi on a budget!)

I wonder whatever happened to all that equipment. I checked later in the day and nothing had moved. Just not the right customers.

10. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

Get rid of it all.

11. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

A guy come up with a pile of records that your selling. Count them! Trust but verify. Keep "smalls" like jewelry, valuable albums, lenses etc on a table in the garage with you. Clean up things before the sale.

12. RDecartridge

RDecartridge "I hear, therefore I am" Subscriber

Don't do it alone.
    I had a miving sale in affluent Bergen County. At day's end I was astonished when ı reaized my losses due to theft including large items.

13. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

Damn shame RD. Sorry to hear that.

14. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hmm, coulda offered half price at the end of the day...

Hopefully it found its way to ebay or something. Gotta wonder about the broken stuff though. :(