Yay - 2016 Winter FrankenFest time - Saturday Febraury 27th in Clinton, MA

What a great time. I had a blast meeting so many great people and seeing so much great gear. Great conversation and great food. Thanks Frank for another successful GTG. I will see everybody again in June.....:thumbsup:

I had so much fun yesterday. So great seeing everyone. And I am still thinking about the wonderful smoked turkey mmmm. Any chance of getting the recipe or how too. I might just have to get a smoker now, C6Bill.

Hi Steph

I use a Big Green Egg, I'll send more detail in a PM later but the bottom line is you can cook a 15 lb turkey in 90 minutes. For yesterday I used Hickory but typically I will use a fruit wood like peach for poultry as can really absorb smoke.

This is about to go on for Sunday dinner at my sisters house. Eight pounds of prime rib roast :)
IMG_0728.jpg

Thanks, everyone. This was a good one with many highlights. A partial list:

- Brian's prototype speakers. They sound really nice and he is justifiably proud of them.

- Frank's newest Altec cabinets. As a new entrant to woodworking with a pair each of Altec and Tannoy duplexes that would benefit from bigger cabinets, Frank's work is an inspiration.

- Seeing Don and Paul having nice conversations with so many people there. Why are the coolest guys the ones in the wheelchairs? Maybe I should get one. Naw, wouldn't work for me, would it?

I know I'm missing a lot since I spent a chunk of my time there with Tom B who worked on my Pioneer CT-F9191 and wound up keeping it. Thanks, Tom! I also missed seeing the nice restoration that Jim did on the Sansui 8080DB I sold him as a fixer upper not long ago. The man has talent!

This is a great bunch of people. See you again soon. --Dan

PS - I was hoping to see Mark Hardy there. He is not active on AK these days and I haven't been able to find him in NH. If anyone has contact info for him, please PM me. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, My Partner Lori is says over my shoulder oh yah, that Big Green Egg, we gotta get you one of those! There is a sweet shop in Arlington run by great folks called the Bar-B-Que Barn. Hope you have a super fun family dinner!

Here is a picture of Baco's demo on the second floor. One of the definite highlights of this fest!

2-2016-fest.jpg

2-2016-fest-2.jpg

One more shout out to Tom_B for the great work he did on my Revox table (and to LexDM3 for selling it to me!). It sounds great and works perfectly! Pairs great with the Nikko pieces Tom also fixed, as well as these KLH CL-4s, which are some of my favorite speakers (and definitely the best yard sale find I've ever had...If you don't have CL-4s in your collection, find some).

25057817930_2ba7beaa22_b.jpg

25260367241_701f3d6430_b.jpg

Really enjoyed yesterday's festivities; had been meaning for some time to get to one of these and I'm sure glad I didn't wait for another year to go by. Thanks to Frank for hosting us! Some highlights were listening to Frank's project in the shop, Brian's project upstairs and spending time talking to Don about redoing the crossovers on my Kef 103.2's.
Met so many passionate folks sharing their current projects and passion for audio and music.

Really enjoyed yesterday's festivities; had been meaning for some time to get to one of these and I'm sure glad I didn't wait for another year to go by. Thanks to Frank for hosting us! Some highlights were listening to Frank's project in the shop, Brian's project upstairs and spending time talking to Don about redoing the crossovers on my Kef 103.2's.
Met so many passionate folks sharing their current projects and passion for audio and music.

Geoff - Great meeting you as well. Don got me on my KEF journey about 3 years ago and the 104/2 are my prized possessions. Contact Falcon Acoustics for the recap on those 103/2 and post a pictorial in the Speaker forum!

Hello Everybody,

This is my first official post on Audio Karma and I want to first thank Frank for his invite to this great get together. I had sold a 511B Altec horn to him at the beginning of the year and he was able to do some amazing things with it… it blow me away. The Altec VOTT system he has helped me make my mind up that I want a pair of A7's with 511B's as my main system (some day soon). Also, I was able to find a 2nd Stromberg-Carlson slim-line "Full-Range" speaker that matches another one I gave my grandfather (Thanks to Motorstereo?). This week we will be building a cool speaker project with these vintage Stromberg's. I can't remember everyone's name but thank you Brian, Steve, Frank and Bob Z and it was great meeting you all. I wish I was there to hear Brian's speaker prototypes, hopefully sooner then later I will hear them.

Anyone with similar interest in reel to reel audio tapes, recorders and vintage microphones PM me I'd love to chat gear.

Kind Regards,

RSMRecording aka Rob

Last edited:
A few more pics of the festivities!
Upstairs Listening room systems.

Another pic of Brians (baco99) prototype speakers, which were very impressive! Loved the monoblocks they were hooked up to. Will be on the lookout for these.

Main floor activities.

Last edited:
What is the members name that was selling those Karlson speakers. I need those in my living room, NOW!

What is the members name that was selling those Karlson speakers. I need those in my living room, NOW!
I believe those were sold. If I remember the story correctly, they were built in the 90's as a wedding gift. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
They were beautifully built and a bargain!

The guy who was supposed to buy the Karlsons backed out so I believe they are still available. I think Brian, AK member MotorStereo, Can get you the info on them.

I didn't back out....but I didn't have transportation at that time. Not sure if someone else backed out. We shall see....

Had a great time on Saturday. Thanks to Frank for hosting a fantastic event. Am I the only one with "didn't get it when I had the chance" remorse? So much cool stuff!! I also want to thank everyone who had a hand in giving my kid the audio bug. Now I have to keep a closer eye on my hoard.o_O I seem to be light by one Onkyo TX-82 and a pair of JBL LX22's.:music:

Thanks, everyone. This was a good one with many highlights. A partial list:

- Brian's prototype speakers. They sound really nice and he is justifiably proud of them.

- Frank's newest Altec cabinets. As a new entrant to woodworking with a pair each of Altec and Tannoy duplexes that would benefit from bigger cabinets, Frank's work is an inspiration.

- Seeing Don and Paul having nice conversations with so many people there. Why are the coolest guys the ones in the wheelchairs? Maybe I should get one. Naw, wouldn't work for me, would it?

I know I'm missing a lot since I spent a chunk of my time there with Tom B who worked on my Pioneer CT-F9191 and wound up keeping it. Thanks, Tom! I also missed seeing the nice restoration that Jim did on the Sansui 8080DB I sold him as a fixer upper not long ago. The man has talent!

This is a great bunch of people. See you again soon. --Dan

PS - I was hoping to see Mark Hardy there. He is not active on AK these days and I haven't been able to find him in NH. If anyone has contact info for him, please PM me. Thanks.[/QUOTE

I have to say that you guys over there always seem to have the very best get togethers of just about any group on AK.
I am envious. To see all the pics and look at all that's set up for listening and for sale is awesome. I hope to someday attend one of these and meet some of you face to face. Probably learn a lot as well.
My bro. lives in Woosta' so I will def. have to plan my next trip around a 'Fest. (But then how do I get all my new-to-me gear home????)
Thanks for the pics and stories. Looks like a great time was had by all. As usual.

I have to say that you guys over there always seem to have the very best get togethers of just about any group on AK.
I am envious. To see all the pics and look at all that's set up for listening and for sale is awesome. I hope to someday attend one of these and meet some of you face to face. Probably learn a lot as well.
My bro. lives in Woosta' so I will def. have to plan my next trip around a 'Fest. (But then how do I get all my new-to-me gear home????)
Thanks for the pics and stories. Looks like a great time was had by all. As usual.
It's the chemistry! We have a great group of guys, all like minded audioholics! There were several ladies there who were audio heads as well!
It was an awesome day!

Back
Top Bottom