Yeah, Clapton's overhyped...

I never really connected with Clapton's music. He's an extremely competent guitarist but in a kind of journeyman way, i.e., strong and knowledgeable but not exceptionally unique or diverse, and I don't find a lot of real emotion behind it. He plays tried and true blues guitar, and plays it extremely well. Beyond that, I don't find much compelling or replayable about his songs and albums.

Jeff Beck>Eric Clapton>Jimmy Page

(2) albums that include all three of these guys.

White Boy Blues ~Compleat Records~ 2xLP gatefold
Guitar Boogie ~RCA~

Both incredible, but honestly I thought Clapton's best work was when he was with The Blues Breakers (but how much of that was attributed to playing with Mayall).

Yep, got most of his earlier stuff, Cream; Blind Faith; with Delany & Bonnie; Derek; w/George Harrison;
- but somewhere down the line, I lost interest in his newer stuff ...
I wish him well with his future pursuits ...

I’ll listen to any of Clapton’s stuff. New or old, what growth over the years. Just watched the 2013 Crossroads yesterday. Had it on, on the garage TV while I was working on my CJ. And yes, just the fact that he fosters projects like Crossroads makes him great(er).

Never understood the hype around this guy. Very overrated in my opinion. But, as we all know, opinions are like assholes. We all have them, and they are all full of shit! Perhaps I need to ”dig deeper” into his work?

I live in a small town in Southern Indiana. My first album was Queen News Of Of The World..But my early twenties was filled with Metal & hard rock. So I'm big fan and still am on Shredder's. Edward Van Halen/Randy Rhoads. Luckily saw Randy before his death.But the small independent record store owner in my town.Looked at me like I was nuts when I said .I don't get all the love for Clapton. He said it's the tone silly !!
As I've gotten older I get it know.
He does play effortlessly. .And his blues stuff is top notch.

Clapton is just a blues guitar player, a damn good blues guitar player. Certainly not the most technical player but what he does is near perfection. Although I have never personally seen him live, I think he is at his best on stage. His live albums and videos are my favorite of his work.

Last edited:
Clapton is an easy target, but there are certain times where all the hype is warranted. Some of his Cream and Blind Faith work, especially live, where his eyes seem to roll back in his head and he looks like he's become a supernatural conduit for all that is blues and rock & roll is worth noting.

I even like some of his lazy, deceptively simple 70s playing, just because of the slick, yet gritty groove he gets.

The production on his 80s work (think, Michelob) is just one example of the 80s finishing off a 60s/70s star. Steve Winwood is another example. Hell, Keith Richards went solid state amp and spent the first half of the 80s with his signature "dwip dwip dwip dwip dwip dwip" sound.

Most of these cats, like Mr. Clapton, have since returned to their roots.

I was Hubert Sumlin's guitar tech & driver for several years. Hubert said things about Eric Clapton in private I can't repeat here. The Brits could never do this:

He's no Hubert Sumlin, but then again he would(I'd hope) be the first to admit that.

Agree that his earliest stuff is best. I love his work with the Yardbirds, and he was a perfect sideman for Harrison. I have to say, his 1976 "rant" did nothing to win me over, though.

Clapton may be overrated but his early stuff was really great. On "Fresh Cream" he does a short but fabulous guitar solo in the song "NSU" that is my favorite of his work. It only lasts about 30 seconds, but it really is a head-turner. It needs to be played loud. And watching him, it seems as if his playing is effortless.

Clapton is an easy target, but there are certain times where all the hype is warranted. Some of his Cream and Blind Faith work, especially live, where his eyes seem to roll back in his head and he looks like he's become a supernatural conduit for all that is blues and rock & roll is worth noting.

I even like some of his lazy, deceptively simple 70s playing, just because of the slick, yet gritty groove he gets.

The production on his 80s work (think, Michelob) is just one example of the 80s finishing off a 60s/70s star. Steve Winwood is another example. Hell, Keith Richards went solid state amp and spent the first half of the 80s with his signature "dwip dwip dwip dwip dwip dwip" sound.

Most of these cats, like Mr. Clapton, have since returned to their roots.
Excellent post. The conduit analogy is apt. That “state” seemed to be enhanced, maybe induced somewhat when Billy Preston was the shaman on the B3.

Clapton is just a blues guitar player, a damn good blues guitar player. Certainly not the most technical player but what he does is near perfection. Although I have never personally seen him live, I think he is at his best on stage. His live albums and videos are my favorite of his work.

Agreed, a damn good blues guitar player.

I've seen him live (D&tD). Clapton's ok.

A GOD... no - overhyped.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom