yeah! Found Fisher Tube Console

pdbjc

While I am at least telling myself I am trying to cut back, I happened upon an estate sale this weekend. They had a Fisher Console that their parents bought back in 1964. Nice family. Anyway at first didn't want to add to my stash but the wife liked the styling and teak wood so much that she encouraged me to buy it. It is a Fisher Electra V with the multiplexer (someone please explain to me what that does... I know, stupid question) in teak wood. It needs some TLC and caps replacement of course. They had it playing but told me it took about 15 minutes to warm up. I like that the amp and tuner section are are separate and stand alone units. Hopefully I will get to it next weekend. Any perspective or suggestions welcome. I have a beautiful Solid State Magnavox Astro-Sonic console in great condition with 12 inch woofers and Horn mid, tweet that I will have to figure out what to do with. Guess I could have worse problems.

Attachments

• DSCN1058.jpg
    DSCN1058.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN1056.jpg
    DSCN1056.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN1053.jpg
    DSCN1053.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCN1052.jpg
    DSCN1052.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN1051.jpg
    DSCN1051.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 187
She's a keeper. The console is, too!
Multiplexer takes an FM signal and makes it stereo. This one should outperform the Astro, but you'll want to replace power supply and coupling caps before you run it. 15 min? Should be more like 37 sec.

Congratulations! That's an excellent Custom Electra V - see the listing at fisherconsoles.com for some details:

http://fisherconsoles.com/custom electra V.html

You don't see many Fisher cabinets in teak. I'll bet that cleans up really nice.

The MPX is used to decode the stereo signal for FM multiplex broadcasts. Does it have a model number? I have it in my database as an MPX-70 which is a slightly unusual model.

I wonder if the original owner really purchased it in 1964. If so, it should have been a very good deal since it was a 1962 model.

The best thing, though, is that your wife encouraged you to get it. That's fantastic!!!

Farking Sweet!

Congrats! - On your wife and her excellent taste, and your find.

I am ever hopeful that a modern Fisher or Bell(?) - the one designed by Paul McCobb- will find its way into my home......

Congratulations on a nice console find. That should be well worth restoration, and the fact that your wife liked it makes it all the better. Well done! :thmbsp:

This has been a Karma-tastic day. The wife happened to have strolled in and plopped on my lap when I opened up AudioKarma to check for any responses to this post. She was tickled pink when she saw all of your posts complementing her! Now of course she realizes what a good thing she has done... and now its gonna cost me. Guess I will be painting or working on her car this weekend.. or watching some PBS show with her. Anyway well worth it on both counts! Thanks for your comments!!! Keep em coming!

Yes it is a MPX-70. Good call. The original owners daughter was general with the date of ownership so it could have been purchased in 62. She just recalls practicing her ballet as a little girl with music played on the Fisher down in Texas, that was how she recalled the time period. The original owners are moving into a smaller place so we got to meet all of their children and grandchildren at the estate sale. Thanks for the encouragement. I look forward to cleaning it up and moving it into my living room.

Congratulations! That's an excellent Custom Electra V - see the listing at fisherconsoles.com for some details:

http://fisherconsoles.com/custom electra V.html

You don't see many Fisher cabinets in teak. I'll bet that cleans up really nice.

The MPX is used to decode the stereo signal for FM multiplex broadcasts. Does it have a model number? I have it in my database as an MPX-70 which is a slightly unusual model.

I wonder if the original owner really purchased it in 1964. If so, it should have been a very good deal since it was a 1962 model.

The best thing, though, is that your wife encouraged you to get it. That's fantastic!!!

Congrats! Is that amp SA-100 based?

I don't know. Fisherdude, the TheRed1 or one of the other Guru's will have to answer that. I work out of town during the week so I wont be able to physically look at the amp until this weekend.

The 480A and 481A are either identical twins to the 460A or kissin cousins. I haven't found any real difference between the three except for the model's except the 460A used 7247's and the 480/481's used 12AX7's and a couple resistor/cap values in the driver section to accomodate the tubes. As the AX7 is a Sub for the 7247, I think they can be used interchangeably in the amps.

Larry

Congrats! Is that amp SA-100 based?
the opt's on a sa-100 are considerably larger
The 460-A and the SA-100 are pretty substantially different amps with the SA-100 being much more elaborate and more powerful (7189s vs EL84s). Also, the 460-A has solid stage rectification vs the SA-100's 5AR4. 1962's 460-A was more properly a descendant of the 1961's 440-A; both purpose-built console amps for Fisher's mid-line Custom Electras. Fisher designed the SA-100 with versatility in mind since it was being offered primarily as a separate component. When used in a console it was a bit higher up the food chain than the Custom Electra at the Statesman level.

Red -- I want to thank you for the considerable knowledge you have contributed concerning Fisher's MPX adaptors, via the thread link you provided earlier. It is about as thorough and accurate as any I have seen. Fisher made some of the very best tuners and adapters, with many of their lesser models out performing higher end models of other manufacturers. In my lab, I consider myself quite lucky to have a Fisher model 300 multiplex generator (complete with manual) in my stable of such generators, and it is by far and away the best such device I have. I also have an HH Scott model 830 multiplex generator, but it lacks the total package that the Fisher represents, since the Fisher also has a small FM carrier generator built in to actually broadcast a complete stereo MPX signal (when needed) for final touch up of the tuner/adaptor under test. Thanks again!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom