Yellow blemish on switches of CA-10xx CR-10xx

sssboa

Hi
I noticed on some amps and receivers those yellow rusty stains over switches. Is it rust from the metal pins underneath the plastic? My CA-1010 and CR-1000 never had it. I think about buying one more and don't know what the ugly blemishes indicate. Is it a hint that they have been stored in damp conditions? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Andy

The only yellow stains are from dirty fingers and cigarette smoke, I usually clean all knobs and switches with bleach cleaner takes it all away.

The only yellow stains are from dirty fingers and cigarette smoke, I usually clean all knobs and switches with bleach cleaner takes it all away.
I mean like thise, at the base of the switches. It's always rusty brown like cigarette stains indeed, well or rust. It's not extreme yet here, I saw worse cases.

Attachments

• yam.JPG
    yam.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 46
Aren't those switches plastic? Can't be rust must just be dirt. Mine all came apart for cleaning and no more dirt after that.

Aren't those switches plastic? Can't be rust must just be dirt. Mine all came apart for cleaning and no more dirt after that.
Yeah, I think they are plastic, there is metal pin inside though. I always see those stains only on those switches and in the same place, never on knobs, and only on Yamahas.

Soak the yellowed parts in hot soapy water. Then use and old toothbrush to scrub them. Rinse and dry.

Ok. Thx. I just wonder what those stains indicate as I think about buying another Yammy and some have it some don't. Do you think these yellow stains appear on all Yamahas if not cleaned?
Thx
Andy

Depends on the previous environments. As already stated " tar & nicotine" which is water soluble.

Looks like the stains are actually on the metalized paper"dust covers" that get placed on the switch shaft before the faceplate goes on. If so, I wouldn't soak them, but they can be cleaned carefully.

I mean like thise, at the base of the switches. It's always rusty brown like cigarette stains indeed, well or rust. It's not extreme yet here, I saw worse cases.
Actually . Looking at the photo. Those dust covers look like there installed backwards. One side should be silver colored and the other side is white. The silver sides are suppose to be facing the front.

Avionic is probably right. However if they're really messed up and won't clean up, just afix some foil duct tape, reassemble, and call it good. ;)

Back
Top Bottom