Yellow Submarinesque Room Treatments

elcoholic

Jet Fuel Genius
Subscriber
I posted this in a different thread, but rec'd no reaction one way or the other.

I made and mounted sound absorbing panels in my listening room today. Much better looking than the blankets thumb-tacked to the wall if I don't say so my self. When I saw the Beatlesque fabric on sofas at Ikea I knew I had to have it. It took 6 months but a sofa cover made it's way to "As-Is" and my wife snagged it for $10 after her employee discount. Originally I was going to have a friend make covers for my Poang chairs with it, but my dear wife also scored sheep sking pads for the Poangs out of As-Is for over a $100 off apiece. So the sofa cover was reworked in to these panels. I used 2x2 drop-in acoustic ceiling panels which are very inexpensive (16 for $36). The contrasting panels are covered in freebie burlap coffee bags from Bodhi Leaf Coffee Traders where I buy my green beans. Not counting staples and 23 ga micro pins just $50 invested.

IMG_4297.JPG

IMG_4299.JPG

I have 4 ceiling panels left, but ran out of fabric and staples, so I'll get more of both and make some more. I'm whipped, it was really hot today so for now I'm settling in for a couple of Sierra Nevada Tumblers and (what else?) The Beatles Yellow Submarine 2012 reissue. :smoke:

I didn't reply to the other thread but I did see it and think it's pretty damned cool.

Lots of power in that space, how does it sound?

I'm curious as well...can you hear much difference after the panel install? I ask because acoustic ceiling panels/tiles are actually more reflective than absorptive. I started my room treatment efforts with acoustic ceiling panels simply because I had a bunch taking up space down at the shop and since they're called "acoustic panels" figured surely they'd have to help with my room's acoustic issues...right? Not really. I'm not sure I could hear much difference after I started setting them up all over the room....and I had over a dozen full 2'x4' panels, stacked two high in some areas, everywhere. I could hear maybe a little improvement, or at least I thought I could, but once I went to using OC 703 compressed fiberglass based absorption panels the difference was profound with only four...a pair at side wall first reflection and a pair at ceiling first reflection. Man, was ever glad to get all those damn ceiling tiles out of there.

The fabric on your panels looks really cool and as decor items I'd say they're a home run. But if you feel like they didn't make much of an improvement or change fidelity that's simply because they're not proper absorption devices or the frequency range in which they are absorptive is very narrow.

Last edited:
Also consider that drop-in ceiling tiles are meant to operate with an open plenum above them. They don't really absorb well if they're backed up to a boundary. You'd probably get a lot more performance from a fiberglass or mineral wool absorber, as tomlinmgt says.

I like it a lot. Would look great in my cave as well. Lots of Beatles stuff down there. Good idea!

Great job. They really look cool. I remember a member system thread with a sofa that looked like the same pattern.

The fabric covers are probably what make the acoustic tiles work.

Do you know the NRC of those tiles?

Armstrong Radar Panels: NRC: .55 CAC is 35 min. as suspended ceiling. The same material as tile drops to .50 & 40 respectively. I'm probably getting those values before the fabric's contribution. High fire ratings, Low VOC's, approved for classrooms.

I'm curious as well...can you hear much difference after the panel install? I ask because acoustic ceiling panels/tiles are actually more reflective than absorptive. I started my room treatment efforts with acoustic ceiling panels simply because I had a bunch taking up space down at the shop and since they're called "acoustic panels" figured surely they'd have to help with my room's acoustic issues...right? Not really. I'm not sure I could hear much difference after I started setting them up all over the room....and I had over a dozen full 2'x4' panels, stacked two high in some areas, everywhere. I could hear maybe a little improvement, or at least I thought I could, but once I went to using OC 703 compressed fiberglass based absorption panels the difference was profound with only four...a pair at side wall first reflection and a pair at ceiling first reflection. Man, was ever glad to get all those damn ceiling tiles out of there.

The fabric on your panels looks really cool and as decor items I'd say they're a home run. But if you feel like they didn't make much of an improvement or change fidelity that's simply because they're not proper absorption devices or the frequency range in which they are absorptive is very narrow.

They work better than the blankets. All I really need is to dampen the high end reflections from the back wall a foot behind my head which forced me to turn the super tweeters way down. I was thinking of Homasote 440 Soundguard panels but this was much easier than wrestling 4x8's and cheaper too.

...I bet my 1967/68 Richard Avedon posters would look great in that room....
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/08/11/beatles-photographed-by-richard-avedon/

I'll take good care of them if you send them, I promise :)

Great job. They really look cool. I remember a member system thread with a sofa that looked like the same pattern.

The fabric covers are probably what make the acoustic tiles work.

Yeah it's gotta help some and looks a lot better.

and thanks for the compliments from everybody that just thinks they look cool. I may do some more on the side walls near the back too. If Mrs. elco snags another slip cover at work for $10 I surely will.

Last edited:
I didn't reply to the other thread but I did see it and think it's pretty damned cool.

Lots of power in that space, how does it sound?

Like I had always hoped DQ-10's would sound if I ever got them, really open and transparent, they really disappear. They have fresh Regnar caps and wiring, etc. A Mitsubishi DA-A10dc 100 wpc amp drives them and a bridged Sony ES55 (330w) drives the sub. I can't imagine more power in an 10 x 13 space, but will get an Ampzilla II if the right deal happens. Not for the power, but just because it's the amp the DQ-10's were voiced with and that's how I first heard then way back when.

Also consider that drop-in ceiling tiles are meant to operate with an open plenum above them. They don't really absorb well if they're backed up to a boundary. You'd probably get a lot more performance from a fiberglass or mineral wool absorber, as tomlinmgt says.

That's a good point. These are just tacked in place pending carpet and paint soon. I should mount them on stand-offs so there's an air gap behind them.

Great fabric but it must be discontinued. If not, can you supply a link? I searched Ikea's site but didn't find anything. Too bad you can't use that to cover your DQ10s as well. That would really look cool.

cubdog

I don't think it was ever available as bulk fabric. I've only seen it on the sofas. If I get another slip cover I might just do the speakers.

Very cool :thmbsp:

"As we live a life of ease(life of ease)
Every one of us(every one of us) has all we need,(has all we need)
Sky of blue,(sky of blue) and sea green,(sea of green)
In our yellow(In our yellow) submarine.(submarine) ( Haha! )"

Back
Top Bottom