YES! I get!!! SM-80 ! ;)

Mike244

Only six months of trading with the seller and I got it ! 500$ - low price, but no tubes (only 4 output 25E5), disconnected wires from front switches, and its only with removed top :(
I'm afraid to take off the bottom cover....
Maybe any from AK Sansui lovers have hi-res photos of switches with wire?
I think this is the longest restoration in my SANSUI collection will be... ;)

Attachments

• DSCN0190.JPG
    DSCN0190.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN0191.JPG
    DSCN0191.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN0193.JPG
    DSCN0193.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN0188.JPG
    DSCN0188.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 115
Well congrats. But what happened to the rest of the tubes? Why do these people massacre nice amps like this ? Why did they disconnect the wires from the switches? To get a better sound stage , as some say?
Idiots .
Enjoy your new toy.

Well congrats. But what happened to the rest of the tubes? Why do these people massacre nice amps like this ? Why did they disconnect the wires from the switches? To get a better sound stage , as some say?
Idiots .
Enjoy your new toy.
Thanks guys!
Its big mystery for me - who did this and why - I think it some kind of crazy man :)))))))
I took courage and opened the bottom! What I can say - real shit - think you agree with me:

Attachments

• DSCN0196.JPG
    DSCN0196.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN0197.JPG
    DSCN0197.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN0195.JPG
    DSCN0195.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 107
I have one of those. I've had it a couple years, and it has just sat. Please tell us everything you can, I would like to restore it.

Are those stock knobs, the lower ones, in your picture?

I will restore it as original as possible ;) Will be looking for good photos of wireing in bottom soon.....

Maybe someone from the owner of SM-80 could make hi-res photos of lower chassis part with original wired?
I will be very grateful for the help with restoration!

I have one of those. I've had it a couple years, and it has just sat. Please tell us everything you can, I would like to restore it.

Are those stock knobs, the lower ones, in your picture?

2 Trnsfmr - yes all knobs are stock and origianl, but some have faded paint....

I feel a plan is coming together :thumbsup: does anyone have a Service Manual to help Mike244 & now Trnsfmr ?

Well, mine is pretty original, not in as good a shape as yours, but still original. I can take some pictures. I'll try to do it later today.

Sorry it took so long, but here are a couple pictures of my SM80. Funny after taking it apart and looking at it, it's probably not in as bad condition as I thought. Mostly needs a good cleaning.

I've tried and tried to get the under chassis view to be a hi res picture. I think if I could get it to be in a wide view it would be better, but I just can't get it to work.

20160803_164257.jpg View attachment 770109

20160803_164509.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to clean all switches, once all switchs-wires is off. Will take pictures of the restoration process - just starting collect neded tubes :) now I have 8 PL36 (25E5 analog), 2 6AN8 and 2 ECC83 - so analog parts can be restored !
As I see, someone start to upgrade this unit and replaced SUZUKI 0,5 uF capacitors and set new mounting pads, but this prcess will not fineshed....

Attachments

• PL36.jpg
    PL36.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 14
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 13
Hi,
So, where did you get the 25EF? If I could find a set, I sure would get more motivated about doing this restoration. The seller told me that the guy he bought it from said it was used in a studio, and they basically quit using it because the output tubes were gone.

Last edited:
Hi,
So, where did you get the 25EF? If I could find a set, I sure would get more motivated about doing this restoration. The seller told me that the guy he bought it from said it was used in a studio, and they basically quit using it because the output tubes were gone.
Hi!
I got 4 NOS RFT PL36 (its full analog 25E5) from EBAY. When the RFT tubes from auction has come to me, I found another good NOS Tungsram PL36 here in Moscow only for 6$ for matching pair !!! And buy 8 more tubes for SM80 :)
The seller still had 8 NOS PL36, if you need it I can send it to you

Last edited:
I sent you the Pix.
Sure, if you could, send me the info on the seller who has the PL36, I would appreciate it. PM me, please. I ordered 4 of the tubes through the ebay seller, also. I would sure like to get 4 more, and you say they are matched, which would be really good.

Some cleaning job here. Was very surprised that push-button switches almost free from corrosion and oxides, but rotary switches very dirty and has oxide - I think this is due to the fact that thepush-button switches are closed design...

Attachments

• DSCN0203.jpg
    DSCN0203.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0205.jpg
    DSCN0205.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0213.jpg
    DSCN0213.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0218.jpg
    DSCN0218.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0219.jpg
    DSCN0219.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 26
  • SAM_1682.jpg
    SAM_1682.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 28
Very impressive that you are rebuilding each switch. Actually your switches look pretty good. I have seen much worse. Much, much worse. I would recommend using a product called Corrosion X (corrosionX.com) for cleaning and lubricating.

We use Corrosion X and it seems to work for a very long period, 7-10 years. The Deoxit products, while very fast acting, seem to only last a year or so. Then it is necessary to clean the part again.

I did a cursory clean up of my SM80 and it looks much better. It will never be a collectors item as there is corrosion everywhere. The chassis has all the zinc coating corroded, and in places it is just starting to corrode through to the steel below it, with rust starting.

I'm motivated now that you have helped me find some output tubes. I will recap it and get it going, not as a fancy beautiful and original example of the model, but a worn and used one that will perform. I have quite a bit of gear like that and enjoy it immensely.

I think yours will be one of those beautiful collector's items.

I'll put a picture of it up, cleaned up, later today.

Back
Top Bottom