Yet another 400 restoration thread :)

Well I got the MPX sorted out but I have an issue with one of the IF cans.

The IF can is Z4 (Fisher #ZZ50210-61) on this schematic:
http://akdatabase.com/AKview/albums/...2048001-UP.pdf
When in mono FM the tuning eye does not work unless the can has pressure on it. I though at first it was a grounding issue or a broken top slug but it is not. So I am not sure if it is one of the shunt capacitors or internal diode that is losing connection to the eye tube circuit. I will have to either take it apart or find a replacement.

Well finally getting back to the 400. Larry was kind enough to give me one of the eye tube windows when i saw him at the fall get together in Maryland.

Here is a picture of the window installed. Thank you Larry!
attachment.php

I will also have a look at disassembling the offending IF can this week and see if I can fix it.

I am also going to buy a Audio Technologies 1000A FM alignment generator this week to help get the FM sorted out. My old Boonton has quit working and it is time to upgrade anyway. I might as well get dad to show me what he knows while I still can get the knowledge from him.

Attachments

• 400 window.jpg
    400 window.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 77
Apple -- I would think that chances are good that you can repair your Limiter coil -- even if it means replacing the internal caps with new discrete components inside.

1000A is a good generator! I must admit however, to this day, I still defer to my Fisher 300 generator when it comes to aligning the multiplex units. It really is a remarkable unit.

Dave

Apple -- I would think that chances are good that you can repair your Limiter coil -- even if it means replacing the internal caps with new discrete components inside.

1000A is a good generator! I must admit however, to this day, I still defer to my Fisher 300 generator when it comes to aligning the multiplex units. It really is a remarkable unit.

Dave

Sadly dad sold his 300 twenty years ago... I have looked for them but the 1000's are easier to come by. A 300 is also in my future!!!!

BTW I now have the IF can apart... I will keep you all posted!

What a busy week it has been! Got the IF can repaired last week and got the new power switch installed today. The Sound Technologies 1000a came today so I aligned the IF strip and the ratio detector after work. I will check the MPX and the front end in the next couple of days. The ratio detector was pretty bad out of alignment. The receiver sensitivity has been greatly improved already. I guess I should check the other receivers I have even though I rarely listen to FM because of the bad multi-path in our area but maybe a new directional antenna with a rotor is in order.

I really admire guys who can do their own alignment so well done you :thmbsp:

I've not done much searching but wonder if anyone has done a tutorial or step-by-step on aligning the 400/500/800? And, examples of equipment used like the Sound Technologies 1000A?

I know I've read several threads where DG has done alignment and alignment coaching and diagnostics for others

I know I've read several threads where DG has done alignment and alignment coaching and diagnostics for others

Well, I guess that means I gotta get to searchin'! I've got a coupla pieces that just aren't right. Close, but still bug me :yes:

The problem with aligning an FM tuner (including MPX), is that while the general process is the same for all units, the specific process is not.

In general, the IF "strip" is aligned first, followed by whatever discriminator design is used, followed by the RF "front end", followed by the MPX adapter.

But within that process, different manufacturers can have you inject different test signals in different manners at different places. Also, different designs can have you tune the various IF transformers to a peak that is only optimum for that particular transformer.

For virtually all modern Fisher gear (produced from say about 1958 or so), if the alignment is not too terribly out of whack, you can really perform a very good alignment on the tuner section proper (i.e. not including the MPX section) with nothing more than a good dvm.

In these units, Fisher had fully changed from the old "stagger tuned" type of IF strip design, where in each stage was tuned to a unique response such that together, all the stages in the IF strip produced the desired ultimate response in the end. It was these types of designs where the location of the particular tubes used in the IF strip was important, as casually changing them around could upset the alignment of the unit. In the newer designs, the transformers are merely peaked for maximum signal transfer, giving rise to the alignment method used in the later Fisher equipment -- not only when test equipment is used, but also in with the non-equipment alignment method outlined in the kit units. In these types of designs, specific tube placement is rather non-critical. In fact, in these types of designs, the adjustment that is most critical is that of the first IF transformer, since the actual frequency it is peaked at then determines the peak that the following transformers are peaked at. Therefore, if the first one is correct, then it will ensure that the following ones are correct also when they are peaked as the alignment process proceeds.

The one place you can get really screwed up is with the MPX unit. Tuning one by ear is risky business, as you may get it to work correctly -- but only on a couple of stations. Or it may work correctly, but only on very strong stations. Or work correctly, but the channels are reversed (who knew!).

Fortunately, Fisher built and aligned the MPX units separately from the ultimate tuner/receiver they were installed in, so for today's hobbiest, in a pinch, they can be removed, sent in for alignment, and then reinstalled. It is best of course by far to align the MPX unit in the tuner/receiver it is installed in. But a proper alignment on a unit removed from its tuner/receiver it is used with is almost always preferable to an adapter tuned by ear.

However, if only the separation control is out of whack (oops, I accidentally turned it), then a careful ear alignment of this control can work pretty well. But if the 38 kHz oscillator or 19 kHz pilot circuits are out of tune, then all bets are off.

Dave

For virtually all modern Fisher gear (produced from say about 1958 or so), if the alignment is not too terribly out of whack, you can really perform a very good alignment on the tuner section proper (i.e. not including the MPX section) with nothing more than a good dvm.

Dave

Yup, that'll be me! But I don't want to cause this thread to be detoured so I guess I'll start a new one in due time on this subject. Or, so as to not reinvent the wheel and take up your valuable and generously given time, if you/someone can point me to a thread where the "tuner section proper" alignment was discussed, I'd be more than happy to work with that. :thmbsp:

Not -- Find an instruction manual for any of the Fisher FM tuner kits. The KM-60 comes to mind for example. In it is a very good description of the process I mention.

Dave

I concur, stay away from the MPX unit. As an experiment I tried to adjust the separation by ear. Both with a one channel only tone and with on air stations the best you can hope for is 20db of separation.

This is generally not considered acceptable. It is a far cry from the 35db or better possible with most Fishers.

Back
Top Bottom