yet another Craigslist score

suprpntr

closet vintage stereo fan
Found a 2235b with a wood case for 20 bucks! Bought it untested since I knew the wood case, scratched up and without the screen, would be worth more than that. After cleaning, the faceplace and the rest is in excellent condition. Nothing like a diamond in the rough.

Anyhow it works...kinda. someone has messed with it. Wires are spliced with electrical tape! Wouldn't someone who had an idea what they were doing would at least know how to solder? Relay kicks on and off so something is loose.

First question I have is power cord. Someone again electrical taped a 3 prong to the cord. Of course I have to deal with this. What and where can I find a replacement? Can I just use any 2 prong with the same gauge?

If you edit this post in time, it might not get moved from the Marantz forum to Dollars & Sense as you listed what you paid for it. :) You might have time, though! Nice find!

Oh, and yes....you can use the same gauge power cord to replace the bad one. Make sure and clean all controls and switches with Deoxit as those dirty contacts will typically restrict signal from flowing thru.

Get the schematic from hifiengine.com and un-do all the previous "repairs". If you're thinking of selling it it's virtually worthless in its' current condition.

The power cord should be a plain jane lamp cord two-pronger. Just make sure the fuse is on the hot lead (the thinner plug blade) otherwise the chassis could potentially remain hot in the event of a fuse-blowing short. The transformer isolates the mains voltage from the chassis, so unless the primary winding shorts to the case/chassis, you're ok. If it's good enough for UL and CSA, it's good enough for me. Unlike tubed equipment, solid state amps only run rail voltages of <80VDC (and 80V is for the big 200+ watt mothers, normal 25-100wpc rail voltage is ~50VDC).

$20 is a score! Any black power cord will work fine. The original is not polarized so your replacement does not need to be. You will want to save the locking grommet and re-use. Cut the cord as close as possible to the washer. Use a pair of pliers to pull the cord through and the locking grommet can be removed from the back panel. Completely remove the old cable and solder in a new one. Make sure the grommet is in place before soldering. The replacement will look stock and will restore the value to your Marantz.

thanks for the input AKers!

Pondering what I should do with it. Think I can fix the cord. Another problem is relay keeps kicking in. Sometimes it won't turn on at all. Looks like it needs to go to a pro. Guessing it is something in the amp board.

I had to buy it considering the situation. And it cleaned up really nice. Thing is, I already have a mint 2235b. Not sure I should take it into the shop. Really hate to part it out. Do I really want twins?

A real problem here. Wish it was my biggest one....

Back
Top Bottom