Yet another equipment rack thread...

Watthour

Electron Rancher - JS3600
I searched but didn't find what I was seeking using "stand" "rack" "shelf" "shelves" "cabinet" and various mixes of those and other terms.

Long story truncated, I was planning to put up a track system with brackets and wire shelves for ventilation. After researching the options it seemed I had a solution. Visiting my local home centers I discovered that none inventoried all the parts I needed, but I did find a different solution. One of the stores had relatively inexpensive wire racks in chrome, white, and black that included three shelves and uprights for less than $20 each set. I picked up three sets since I wanted nine shelves. I had to tap the tubular uprights to join more pieces than the manufacturer intended to get a 59" high setup, but it worked out nicely for the price. The shelves are rated at 300# each and are 18" x 24" so about the only pieces that won't fit are a Kenny Nine G or Eleven G. Even a Pioneer SX-1980 will clear the uprights (barely).

EquipmentRack.jpg

Now that's some industrial sh*t. :D Looks like the type of shelving used in the stock rooms of retail stores, and they are quite sturdy. Interesting that you considered ventilation when figuring this out; I bet that's not something people really consider when buying or building racks for their audio system.

Looks like the shelves sold at The Container Store.

They are very durable, configurable, etc. We use them for our plants at home.

Probably not very vibration resistant.

What store did you buy those from? Is it a chain store? :scratch2:

Looks very nice! :yes: :thmbsp:

Scott

Metro Rack is the original designer of these versitle racks. Looks great! :thmbsp:

Steve

What store did you buy those from?
Can we say? Not to advocate any big-box retailer over any other outlet, but I found those at a local Lowe's. It's genuine Chinesium alloy so it's probably available almost anywhere, and maybe at better prices elsewhere.

I had been looking at using the Rubbermaid track/bracket system but they are a little light. I found Knape & Vogt had similar but heavier duty parts. Still, the wire shelf material would have to be cut and trimmed with caps and the cost for what I would have needed to duplicate this space would approach $200.00. I saw these for $19-something apiece and realized I could join the uprights and make the height I wanted (I still have some upright pieces leftover and can go taller if necessary). The cost of a single add-on shelf was $20 so getting additional units with three shelves for less coin was a no-brainer (right in my wheelhouse). It was the quickest and easiest solution.

Looks pretty steady. Is it?
It seems pretty sturdy since I just about stood on the shelves at the corners to seat the wedge locks. The leveling feet are handy, too. Once it leveled up on the tile it is pretty stable and doesn’t seem to resonate. The TT on top is floating on suspension feet and out of the line of fire of the drivers, so the rumble is negligible.

I'm gonna take a guess here...big fan of pioneer? J/K looks great!
Yes, there is some Pioneer there but if you look closely (or I had better focus) you would see three Kennys (2 x KR-6050 & KR-4070). It's not the most attractive piece for a living space but is appropriate for my basement office. Most of the Pioneer stuff is in the opposite corner in a wood stand:

OfficeEquipmentNWall001.jpg

Or in the even more opposite corner (ober by daer):

OfficeEquipmentSWall002.jpg

There are a couple Pioneer stragglers around the rest of the house and one nice little Kenny in the garage.

That 8 track player looks so lonely off to the side like that!
Are you pickin’ on my Really-Stuck 8-track player with the genuine simulated wood cabinet, genuine simulated chrome track selector button, genuine simulated plastic front, and TOTL awdeeo-file single output level control on the back? Them’s fightin’ words! (Good eye!)

What’s actually funny is that I ran that about a week ago to see it the belt was still in one piece. Herb Alpert never sounded so “8-Tracky” and it seemed appropriate for the vintage. All I was missing was a stewardess with a bee-hive in high heels serving me a Chablis on a tray.

The one problem I can foresee is with all that ventilation it’s going to be a dust magnet.

I was always under the understanding that they were from Ikea, sold as OMAR shelving units (there are variants, like for wine bottles etc). I stayed at a place that had this shelf there and I put my setup on it. It worked well enough except I didn't care for the spacing of the wire bits. On some units, the feet of some things didn't sit nice and solidly on the wire strands. I like the feet to have a solid footing, not a tiny contact patch resting on one wire strand, which ends up leaving compressions in the feet. Otherwise it was OK - I wouldn't rush out to buy one of them myself.

It seems pretty sturdy since I just about stood on the shelves at the corners to seat the wedge locks. The leveling feet are handy, too. Once it leveled up on the tile it is pretty stable and doesn’t seem to resonate.

That's really impressive! :tresbon:

Very nice. I especially like the extra step of tapping the uprights to get the height you like. I also use these wire racks, to the point almost all the components in my house, and all my records, reside on wire-style racks.

Target had these, 5 shelves per, 6 feet tall, on special for $35 each. I bought 2, and found a center section that was as deep but not as wide at my GW, to make a great wall unit. I found using wooden stair landing boards of pine made a good solid platform for TT's, and with the right number of boards and glue I ended up covering the 32"X16" shelves completely with a finished board (nice curved front edge) that, after staining black with polyurethane together in 2 coats, made a very nice and presentable unit.

I searched but didn't find what I was seeking using "stand" "rack" "shelf" "shelves" "cabinet" and various mixes of those and other terms.

Long story truncated, I was planning to put up a track system with brackets and wire shelves for ventilation. After researching the options it seemed I had a solution. Visiting my local home centers I discovered that none inventoried all the parts I needed, but I did find a different solution. One of the stores had relatively inexpensive wire racks in chrome, white, and black that included three shelves and uprights for less than $20 each set. I picked up three sets since I wanted nine shelves. I had to tap the tubular uprights to join more pieces than the manufacturer intended to get a 59" high setup, but it worked out nicely for the price. The shelves are rated at 300# each and are 18" x 24" so about the only pieces that won't fit are a Kenny Nine G or Eleven G. Even a Pioneer SX-1980 will clear the uprights (barely).

EquipmentRack.jpg

That's the same set up I have....got it from Lowe's. I have a 5' setup for my receivers/CD player and a 3' setup for my turntables. I also added some stained pieces of wood from Lowe's as the "shelves". Looks pretty nice, IMO!

Back
Top Bottom