1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Yet Another L100 Crossover Thread

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by Zonker92, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

Ignoring for purposes of this discussion any aftermarket approaches, such as the Murphy or Gravesen design:

As between the two OEM crossover schematics posted below (early, vertical layout above, which had the LE20 tweeter) which might be preferable, and why?

I ask because I’m about to redo the crossovers in mine (later version) and I kind of want to stick to one of the original approaches, for an original(ish) sound, warts and all.

Thanks!

962A1709-8B79-48AC-8514-3E4D3FAF7849.jpeg 18678B81-4F47-4622-8E4C-F5EC55F84ED7.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. EarlK

EarlK Well-Known Member

If building from scratch you owe it to yourself to first hear this version ( gotta love simple & cheap! ).

[​IMG]

Rarely mentioned ( apart from it's infamous lumpy FR response ) is how coherent sounding that simplistic network can be ( a result < IME > of all 3 drivers using the same polarity and the gentle crossover slopes employed ).

No doubt the massive presence peak ( at 6K ? ) will eventually drive you nuts > though I would first try mitigating it with an LCR notch strapped across the Le5-2 (s) terminals ( before trying a completely different network ).

:)

3. Zonker92

Thanks, Earl!

4. L-82

L-82 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice I’ll keep an eye on this thread...

5. Zonker92

I posted this query here and in the JBL group on Facebook, and no one seem to have a real answer for me. I wound up just buying better caps for the stock crossovers.Mine are the simpler version above.

6. L-82

I’m thinking of going the same route, I’ll wait for your impressions since I really like the way the 100s sound...

Please register to disable this ad.

7. wallacefl

wallacefl AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would recommend doing the crossover ...JBL S70 Alpha III which used those drivers but wisely crossed over the woofer. I acknowledge it is not pure 100 but the resultant midrange clarity should be better.

Zonker92 likes this.
  8. L-82

8ECF19CC-B893-473F-A263-AB0D74F282AC.jpeg C25F2ADD-9540-47A6-9FFE-6DF55D993246.jpeg I opened up my L100 - just to reject a peak.. looks like they were recapped, take a look, not sure what they are but I’ll do a more thorough investigation in the futur. For now I plugged the ports from the inside, better bass control