Yet another new owner here.

05SRTguy

I just received a Marantz 2240 in good working order from my uncle. I powered it on and the only issue is that the UV Meters don't light up, but I'm sitting here listening to it as we speak. I have to say I am freaking blown away at that quality of sound and volume that this receiver puts out. I have my B&W 604 S3's hooked up to it and listening to CD's from a cheap little $25 DVD player that I bought for my kids (only thing I had available with analog outputs right now). Dear God, the sound is full and dynamic like I've never heard through my Yamaha HTR 6090. Don't get me wrong, the Yamaha is great for movies, but absolutely sounds sterile for music listening. With the Yamaha, I always had to turn on my sub just to hear any bass and that's with bi-amping my 604's. However with this Marantz, It has the full range by itself. To say I am impressed would be the understatement of the century. I am a believer in Marantz now.

you should listen to the marantz with movies...

you will probably put your yamaha in the attic!

I would much rather listen to my marantz 2ch for movies than a crappy surround sound with movies

you should listen to the marantz with movies...

you will probably put your yamaha in the attic!

I would much rather listen to my marantz 2ch for movies than a crappy surround sound with movies

Exactly!!!
I thought I was odd man out on that thought.

I have one, awesome receiver, welcome to AK! The bulbs aren't too bad to do, a little desolder and resolder work and some vellum paper to redo the meters and you'll be set. May as well do the dial too while your at it.

Last edited:
Exactly!!!
I thought I was odd man out on that thought.

I may try that, but not for a while. My Yamaha doubles as an HDMI switcher, so it would take a bit of work to rewire things. Not to mention that I use a PS3 for my BD movies, so no native analog output. My honest desire is to get a nice pair of floor standers for a dedicated listening room. I love my B&W's, so I may look into another pair, but I am open to recommendations.

I'm also thinking of picking up a decent turn table, but don't know what to look for. Also a good CD Player and DAC that I can plug my Ipod into.

Welcome aboard - I'm a new guy here as well, and recently got a 2238B on CL - I concur with everything you said regarding the sound in the OP. I had an Onkyo TX-860, and 'sterile' is a good description of the sound as compared to the warmth and 'real' sound of the Marantz.

The seller threw in a Technics SL-1500 TT with the receiver, and together they sound amazing. I have a Nagaoka MP-110 cart on the way, and intend to do the 'model clay' mod in the body of the TT.

Rediscovering vinyl with vintage stuff like this is pretty cool, and can be done on an incredibly modest budget.

What do you guys think of Polk Audio Monitor 40's to go with this receiver. I've never owned any Polks before, and am on a non existent budget. Newegg has a smokin deal right now so these would be in the right price range.

Back
Top Bottom