Yet another non-existent packing story

markthefixer

On Hiatus, hospitalized and NOT doing Clutches
Subscriber
I had an ebay Kenwood VR-309 Video Receiver coming in recently. 30 bucks (not bad) plus 20.67 for shipping and 1.70 for insurance.

The seller(new, his first sale) insisted on using USPS to ship, and even though I PAID for insurance, HE didn't BUY it... as I found out later.

I also asked him to pack it carefully with my paypal payment.

This is a 18" x 16" x 6" 20 pound receiver WITH REMOTE.....

When the neatly wrapped box appeared at my door, my stomach lurched - the box was too small. It was slightly larger than the size of the receiver. So I took pictures as I opened it. The box was wrapped with many layers of white paper resembling butcher paper, and taped to the dickens.

When I finally got inside the box, I saw the receiver, the remote jammed in on one end and AIR. BTW, that was the end that was DOWN on my doorstep, so the receiver was setting it's full weight on the remote.

That's right fellow AK'ers - NO PACKING / PADDING AT ALL!!!!!

It was just BOUNCING around inside the box. I could see where the rear jacks had torn up the inside of the cardboard box. The box and receiver scuffing on the power button and the front of the front panel knobs, AND the torn up & gouged front right corner of the receiver where the staples holding the box together did their worst.

Yet other than the crystallized solder joints on the sensor for the remote - easily fixed by sucking the joints clean of the old junk, and resoldering with the good stuff, it was ok.

Of course with the scuffing, it'll never have enough waf to make it into the front room unless I replace the scuffed up knobs and buttons.

He had a defiant tone at first blaming the USPS for the damage, but after a few emails, saw the light.

I am going to take a few days before I post feedback, I originally wanted to post:

receiver&remote loose in empty box,blames usps for damage,stiffed insurance too

but maybe I might:

promises to learn to pack, otherwise everything worked out

IMHO don't do him any favors-if he packed it bad-he deserves feedback that reflects it. If he gives you a bad feedback-so be it. I think people worry to much about their own feedback when deciding to post honest feedback for others.
I have bought, and sold many things to people with less than perfect feedback- you look at the history and understand.
I think this feedback fallacy really hamstrings people into pointing out a bad egg-a bad egg waiting for his next victim.:nono:

He is a noob that needed education on packing... and hopefully got it / some...

Back
Top Bottom