yet another recomendation request ...shocking I know

Rsclj

Ok here goes...I, like many here, am looking for recomendations for headphones...Unfortunately what I can audition locally is linted to Best buy and the Magnolia section...I like to feel the bass...I will often listen to headphones with the speakers on to accomplish this...however this is not always a viable option... the buget is about 300.00...I have always liked Sennheiser (looking at the HD600's), but am not stuck on that brand...I have heard great things about AKG, the Audio Technicas, and Dennons...here is the set up...Pioneer SX-1080 in my main system running a modified AR XA...my main listening runs late 60's thru the 70's...my "fallback" headphone artists would start with The Moody Blues and run thru to Zeppelin...when I listen to the Moodys it is not uncommon to run 4-5 albums straight...
So...
Long time comfort with out overheating the ears
Over the ear, not on ear or buds
Hate a thin sound
Capable of handling Rock...and the Kingston Trio
Wired is not a necessity. ..but not a fan of loosing signal to a wireless set just for the convenience

Ok I hope that is enough information for those in the know to recomend my "perfect" match...I would prefer to personally audition these but dont want to settle for whats available locally and miss out on a better "fit" just because they are not available locally to do so

Last edited:
Since you mentioned overheating the ears as a problem (for me too) there are a few things you should seriously consider. Top of my list was velour/cloth ear pads. I hate vinyl/leather. Much to warm for me. Open cans are also cooler but don't isolate. Consider a $200 headphone from Sennheiser, AKG or Beyerdynamics. Then buy a $100 headphone amp such as made by Schiit

I like Sennheisers too, however the last 2 pair of cans I bought for critical listening has been Grados... they aren't made for marathon listening but they're flexible enough to adjust.

The current models are the "e" series (my current set is Grado SR-225i).

So you may want to check that brand of phone... they are available through most places including amazon, headphone.com, music direct, etc. and there are a number of reviews floating about.

Good luck on your search and happy listening!

Pulled the trigger on a pair of HD598...for $149.00...we'll see how they sound on my system...I have to admitt the burl wood accents were a very atractive feature...given my wood stereo setup...now if they sound as. Good as they look!

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger on a pair of HD598...for $149.00...we'll see how they sound on my system...I have to admitt the burl wood accents were a very atractive feature...given my wood stereo setup...now if they sound as. Good as they look!

Did you have a chance to try them out?
How do they sound?

I use Sennheiser RS180 wireless headphones and they sound great.

not yet...they are due to arrive in a couple of days!...looking forward to testing them out!

Yeah, I know some have comfort issues with them, but I thought Grado made the best-sounding headphones for $99, and that's why I stuck with them and upgraded to the RSIIi's eventually, which I love. At this point, my next upgrade would have to be some electrostatic or planar-type headphones, and something in the $1000+ range. If you (the COLLECTIVE "you") don't NEED closed-back headphones, get open-back ones. They have much-better depth, air, timbre, and a much more-natural sound than closed-back ones IMO. By the way, I preferred my inexpensive SR80's to ALL the Beats models I tried, even the ones that were over $300. They use demo tracks at the stores that are DESIGNED to make headphones or speakers sound good. Vibrant, yet airy and smooth-sounding music with wide-panned instruments, stuff that sounds spacious.

I like Sennheisers too, however the last 2 pair of cans I bought for critical listening has been Grados... they aren't made for marathon listening but they're flexible enough to adjust.

The current models are the "e" series (my current set is Grado SR-225i).

So you may want to check that brand of phone... they are available through most places including amazon, headphone.com, music direct, etc. and there are a number of reviews floating about.

Good luck on your search and happy listening!

Last edited:
Still waiting for my package...like a kid before Christmas

I hear that... I was the same way 11 months ago when I was waiting on my RSIIi's (and a month ago when I was waiting for the standmount speakers I had bought).

the 598's are a bit lighter in the bass than some of the other options
out there, but have a nice neutral sound. They won't kick you in the chest
with the bass, but will respond well to judicious use of an eq.
Hibuck...

Damn ...amazon had my work address and we were closed today when they tried to deliver...now I wait till they redeliver on Monday

Ok they are home :) I have to say they sound nice...not totally sure on the open backs yet...but the sound is nice and warm...not lacking in bass at all...but certainly not kick you in the chest...they are a very comfortable wear with glasses...no hot spots yet after 3 albums...nice separation...Im very pleased with that...no use having a great sounding set of cans you cant wear for very long...very full sounding...I may insulate the open screen with a bit of foam to close them up a bit...but for now im just enjoying them...perhaps I'll get used to the open back idea...it defiantly opens the sound up...covering the screens with my hands closes them in a bit...overall very happy with them and I like the burl wood trim...the cream is different from the typical black...nice deviation from the norm

Back
Top Bottom