yet another recommendation solicitation.

RayW

Parrothead with a badge
Subscriber
I have a young friend who is a music major in college. She's a prodigy who got an associates degree at 15 at a junior college and is now in her junior year of a big school at 16. She is looking for some headphones for listening assignments.

My experience is fairly limited on this front. I have Monster Turbine Pro Copper IEMs and love them. I use Shure E2C for most everyday type listening because I'm not as worried about killing them while spending 5 hours sitting on a tractor. I have some old Yamaha Orthodynamics that I use with my (electronic) drum set. That's about it so I figured I would ask here.

Budget is around $100 and requirements are flat, accurate response (as much as possible in that price range anyway) and good isolation. She doesn't have a lot of experience with IEM vs. over-ear so she doesn't have a preference as of right now. I'm going to loan her the Monsters to get a feel for that side and see what she says about them.

So....whatcha got?

Thanks!

I say going with what the pros use in this price bracket is a safe bet. Sony MDR 7506 or Sennheiser HD280 Pros. Both built tough. Both pretty neutral. The Senns are a little more bass heavy. Either will do the trick, look professional and last a long time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

When I bought my Grado SR80s, my buddy bought the Senn HD280 Pro. He used to work in radio so 'on-ear', like the Grados, didn't work for him. He really likes the Senns. I talked to Glenn Sinclair, my local dealer, and that's his best seller.

That said, I see a lot of people getting on the bus and the Sonys are the most popular, even beating out the Beats line.

^RamblinE knows his headphones.

I use a Sennheiser headset for long calls at work and the sound is natural and neutral.

if the ATH-M50s come back down in price around xmas time this year again they are fantastic but over budget ATM ... I got mine last dec for $100~ however after owning them awhile I did order $16~ replacement shure 840 earpads as the stock audiotechnia pads hurt my ears...I love mine with the Shure pads now however.

Back
Top Bottom