Yet another Sonic T-amp review

snapshotjc

Well, I just got info on this new review done by Stereo Times, so the word is starting to get out all over the place.
One quote that I like is that at the normal average price of about $29 is just about a free amp and every audiophile should own one! I couldn't agree more! :thmbsp:

http://www.stereotimes.com

So these amps are available at Target but only online I assume because, I walked into Target and asked if they had them and their response was.... HUH?????

I got mine this week, worth WAY more than the 24.00 I paid, that's for sure. Really needs efficient speakers to run well, but's it's amazing that it can put out decent volume on 8 AA batteries. I have it running on a generic transformer putting out 800ma. I don't think it's enough juice to runner at higher volumes. Anyone know what amperage you need?

I'm surprised my 800ma runs it as well as it does. Maybe I will try a car battery until I get a bigger adaptor. It does sound pretty darn good so far
Say, will a car battery charger work OK? I could use that until I get the correct one.

When I bought mine at partsexpress it said it needed 12v @ 2000ma.Im using 1800ma,and it its much better than the 1200ma I was using before.Vintagenut is right on the money about speaker efficiency.My Klipshs are 96db and they are perfect for it.I would even love to try one of the bigger Klipschs that are over 100.Ive spent more on a cd than I have on that amp,but the pleasure Ive gotten from it is worth 100 times that.
Jimmy

I hooked it up to a PC backup battery, 12 volt, rated at something like 8 amps an hour. Sounds great on my Athena AS-F2, looks ridiculous with the plastic itty bitty amp, and a battery hooked up. It will piss off the snobs :D

Here's a shocker, no pun intended, I have many wall adaptors rated at various DC output, most of these rate quite a bit different in actual DC output according to 2 multi-meters I have. Like one is rated at 12 VDC and is actually putting out 16.5 volts, another is rated at 15, puts out 11.9, another rated at 6 volts puts out 9 volts. That's quite a difference.

I'll always have my vintage gear, but I think this tripath technology is the future, pretty incredible stuff, I wouldn't just dismiss it

Back
Top Bottom