Yet another subwoofer connection question

rcriss

Rockin' the River
Hey all, I searched but could not find a specific answer for this. Let's say that i want to use a subwoofer with my setup of a 3800 pre and a 250 power amp. The 3800 can drive 2 power amps so can i take the outs for the second power amp from the pre and go straight to a powered sub? Sounds logical to me that it would work but i have been know to be wrong a time or two :scratch2:

Will probably sound bad (bass frequency range dominant) if the sub is a simple passive type, as it will be getting a full range signal without benefit of a low pass filter. So, your sub will be trying to output up to the driver limits, which will be far too high (in frequency/Hz) for a proper sub application.

Most passive types do not have the variable LPF that is often found on amplified types. You would probably be better off sending the pre to an amplified sub with a variable LPF.

I would be using a powered sub probably a JBL EP-250. I believe i could use the cross-over control on the sub to reject the high frequencies....:scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom