Yet another SX-780

B3Nut

tubes and spinny things!
I just can't leave these things alone....wander into Goodwill, lo and behold an SX-780 on the shelf. I grabbed it, turned, and saw Auditech checking out a nice Scott rx. :D He had passed on the 780 since it was acting wierd, so I tried it, seemed to more or less work. $25 later and it's in the trunk.

This one's gonna be an interesting project tho, it gets into a mood where the protect ckts cycle and either power meter will register a reading. I haven't hooked phones or speakers, DC offset's around 400mV per channel.

Gonna give it the full going-through with deoxit and canned air and a brush and so forth, then set to work sorting its electronic gremlins out. I have a fresh pair of STK-0050's to pop in it if it needs 'em....poor mutt's got dog hairs in it and it's covered in nicotine.

I'll keep younz posted on the progress with this basket case....dang and I need to get off my @$$ and work on my G-22000 too...

TP

Yeah what the hells the matter with ya LOL !

Get that sweet G22k up and running. Least one of us will have one that works;)
Mine took a dump last week.... Damn it :mad:

Relays stuck... Time to take it to Lee's Summit MO. for an overhaul.

Cheers
Army

Crusty ol' mutt...

Poor thing is in messy shape. Caked in nicotine stains. This is going to be a fun one to clean....then I get to work on the amplifier section. Left channel makes racket even with the volume off. Right sounds like ass. Both Darlingtons at least need replacing, and I might need to replace the driver/voltage amp double-transistor in the left channel. If that's fried its current-source tranny is probably shot too. I have a parts carcass I can steal good ones from...

TP

Doesn't look that bad. At least the vinyl case is good. I have two good working examples but both have defects in the case.

Re: Crusty ol' mutt...

Hey Todd, please keep us up to date on the progress of this SX-780 with pictures!
NY152

Originally posted by B3Nut
Poor thing is in messy shape. Caked in nicotine stains. This is going to be a fun one to clean....then I get to work on the amplifier section. Left channel makes racket even with the volume off. Right sounds like ass. Both Darlingtons at least need replacing, and I might need to replace the driver/voltage amp double-transistor in the left channel. If that's fried its current-source tranny is probably shot too. I have a parts carcass I can steal good ones from...

TP

Another SX-780 on ebay on the cheaps!

Yo B3Nut, check out the link as there's another 780 waiting for your healing powers.:D
Polar Bear

Here

Don't expect to hear too much from Todd in the coming weeks. He's closing on a house so he's busy with all that. Then there's the utter and complete lack of audio fundage due to the down payment.

Phew....closed!

Woohoo...we're officially homeowners now, and by extension, officially broke. :D

We've got to the end of July to leave the apartment, so we're just taking carloads over to the new house for now. Fortunately, it's only 3 or 4 blocks away, so it's not too much effort.

I temporarily set up my garage system (Sansui 6060, Magnavox CD2000, Sansui AS-200 speaks) so I could have some tunage while unpacking and working at the new place. My wife just shook her head.... :D That rig'll be on my workbench when I get a workbench set up in the basement....woohoo, a place to work on stuff!

One cool thing, the 3rd bedroom (which is going to be a combo guest-room/den/NordicTrack room) has shelves built into the wall near the door...she said I could put a hi-fi there so we can have music to work out by! :) Putting my good SX-780, Pioneer changer, and CT-F600 cassette there...should look really cool.

Fun fun fun....

TP

Congrats B3Nut!!! I just became a homeowner a little over a year ago. I nearly had a heart attack at closing time. The house I bought was a repo and the lawyers for the bank kept holding up the sale for utter stupidity and the secretary I was dealing with at their office was Hitler incarnate. If they had cancelled the close for a 3rd time you would of read about me going postal at a lawyers office. Since I bought a repo most my money has went into the house, only until lately have I had any free money to spend on audio, which when I sell will probably go back into the house again.

Anyway...Congrats!!!

I'm saving the one good power switch I have for my "keeper" 780 when I can find the stupid switch...but if I run into another parts 780 you're welcome to the power switch if it's good. I don't have much fundage to thrift-dive (until I find a new band to gig with) but I watch curbs like a hawk.... :D

TP

dsk wrote; Hey man, wanna sell the power switch off the 780?

dsk....try this link and you'll find all kinds of parts for the SX-780, just scroll about the middle of the page.
Polar Bear
click on this link.

B3 congratulations on the house purchase,when the wh**e and I were married we went through 2 houses,both closings were a pain,the lawyers fought etc.
All was forgotten once the excitement of moving day was upon us.In hindsight and hindsight being 6\6 I should have left something behind in the first house:D

good luck

alan

Wow....must have been a pretty involved and convoluted closing to have lawyers at the closing! :yikes:

Carted more stuff over today (including a pair of AR M0.5's I scored (SHHHH!) The AR's are going in the den/guestroom/excercise room with the 'keeper' 780. THey even had brackets already attached...

Lashed my ADC 303AX's up to the Sansui 6060 too....my gosh what a nice speaker!

TP

Pic: AR's, SX-780, CT-F600, and can't remember the model CD changer....

nice small setup you got there!

I am still in awe over my SX-850. Man this hobby certainly is fun!

Regards,
crooner

Back
Top Bottom