yet another tuner inquiry for you techs

richd860

Speaker Freak!!!
Subscriber
I have a Pioneer TX 6500II tuner,and for some reason,it will pull in more stations in mono,than it does is stereo.I have a sansui au/tu setup hooked up on another set of speakers,and it pulls in a boatload more stations than the pioneer.I deoxed the switch,but it didn't change anything.I have included a couple of pics of the connections on the bottom of the board,and it looks to me,that 6 pins are not soldered.I don't know if that is the correct setup for this switch.I'm not a tech....just a collector/listener.Any advice??? Thank you. Rich

100_0736.jpg

100_0735.jpg

unused

I am not a tuner tech but I can tell you from the photos that the pins you are seeing as not-soldered are simply unused conacts on the switch. You should notice that the traces do not connect to the holes where the pins are. What that means is that there is no solder because there is nothing to solder to, which implies that the pins are unused.

I've seen unused pins in relays. Usually they are cut off. You have to look closely to notice that they have been cut. When I order replacements, I occasionaly need to cut off the unused pins

You need a stronger signal to get a station in stereo than you do to get the same station in mono. The ones you can only get in mono would be ones where the signal is very weak.

As another poster noted, a better antenna will get stronger signals to your tuner, so you are likely to get stereo on the stations you're now getting only in mono. You're also likely to find some stations in mono that you can't get at all now.

You need a stronger signal to get a station in stereo than you do to get the same station in mono. The ones you can only get in mono would be ones where the signal is very weak.

As another poster noted, a better antenna will get stronger signals to your tuner, so you are likely to get stereo on the stations you're now getting only in mono. You're also likely to find some stations in mono that you can't get at all now.

:thmbsp: +1

I regularly listen to some stations I can only get in mono -- their signals are too weak for me to get stereo. Occasionally, depending on atmospheric conditions, I can get a stereo signal, but not reliably. Oh, and I have a rooftop antenna, if I didn't, I probably wouldn't get some of these stations at all.

Back
Top Bottom