Yet another wonder tweak

shelly_d

Not An Audiophool
To all those who use this forum for real improvements, I offer an applogy, I simply did not know were else to post this.

To the moderator: Please move where you think this belongs.

Yet another magic tweak that is supposed to make your phono cartridge work wonders:

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/pht-grown-in-california-legal-in-all-50-states/

Available on the auction site for only $200 / pair. Collect all 8 pairs!:rolleyes:

For that money I'd replace both cartridge and turntable.

Shelly_D

I guess it comes down to this; are you posting to mock and start a round of piling on or have you tried these, maybe intend too? They apparently have a "30-day no-risk money back guarantee" so are you going to see if replacing your turntable and cartridge for $200 is a better choice?

If this is what I think it is - a troll to mock a tweak - yes, this thread will go away in this forum.

Please prove me wrong. :)

Color me a skeptic but I never dismiss something out of hand. I am always willing to try something for myself before making an opinion. However, what I am disappointed in is the lack of any real data in the sales pitch. Using buzzwords without even attempting to explain the science behind the process is the deal killer for me. I would request any sales associate to provide the basis for the claimed improvement and submit for my perusal a data sheet of the testing process. That goes for anything I would consider investing time in.

The technical white papers, data sheets, and testing methodologies are most certainly on their way soon; the company has apparently discovered some amazing principles in its research and a quick look over the site shows it is still in the process of its content being provided - some of the products are still pending descriptions, even the price sheet page has not been provided a link on the page that says to "click here" to go there.

Just looks like things are still being set up, and no wonder; their research results must be keeping them very busy - speaker cables and interconnects built using a ten step five hour quantum tunneling process, phono cables built using 3rd generation quantum tunneling, their multi-outlet power strip is subjected to a quantum tunneling treatment, and even the little two-to-three prong ground lift adapter is quantum (although that is one of the items which is still pending a description).

Furthermore, they have not ignored classical physics while pursuing the results of their quantum research; they have also discovered how to ground classical mechanical energy just like electricity and just as fast.

It should be no surprise that the sales people writing the content may not really grasp and be able to present the technical principles involved in these discoveries. Once the technical content is provided to them I'm sure they will put that up as well... hopefully the wait will not be too long as I only saw one name mentioned as the research discoverer of these things; he may be quite busy.

"Phono transducer"? Would that be a device that converts variations in electrical signals into sound? Or, vice versa? Seriously?

Excuse me while I bong some hash.

"Phono transducer"? Would that be a device that converts variations in electrical signals into sound? Or, vice versa? Seriously?

Excuse me while I bong some hash.
Yup, a speaker driver is a transducer and so is a phono cartridge, or didn't you know this?

Have a look "A transducer is a device that converts one form of energy to another form of energy"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transducer

So referring to the device as a transducer means that it converts one form of energy into another form.

I haven't tried these, have any of you guys? as you seem to know all about them. A bit rich for my blood, but then I'm not the target market with my lowly SR-838 and 2M Bronze, It's those that have the income to have a table and cart that number quite a few thousand that will try these.......not a bottom feeder like me.

Last edited:
Looks like it would take the sound vibrations from your speakers, convert to vibrations to the cartridge fattening up the sound (think delay). Just a minute amount. My guess....

Yup, a speaker driver is a transducer and so is a phono cartridge, or didn't you know this?

Have a look "A transducer is a device that converts one form of energy to another form of energy"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transducer

So referring to the device as a transducer means that it converts one form of energy into another form. . . . .

Well, that was sarcasm on my part. Do we have a sarcasm smiley here?

Well, that was sarcasm on my part. Do we have a sarcasm smiley here?
Don't think so, haven't seen one anyway :scratch2:

On these things, my guess and only a guess as i haven't tried them. Is that they convert the vibrational energy in the cart body into another form of energy that is less or non destructive to the audible frequencies.

Basically moving that energy outside of that frequency range. Do they work or not? i don't know as i have not tried them.

Hay! It's as good a guess as any here, and IMO better than some ;)

Don't think so, haven't seen one anyway :scratch2:

On these things, my guess and only a guess as i haven't tried them. Is that they convert the vibrational energy in the cart body into another form of energy that is less or non destructive to the audible frequencies.

Basically moving that energy outside of that frequency range. Do they work or not? i don't know as i have not tried them.

Hay! It's as good a guess as any here, and IMO better than some ;)
Uhhh, wouldn't the phono cartridge body and head shell do that anyway, without an extra device tacked on top?

Murray

I would like to hear from someone/anyone who has actually tried the devices in question. Snarky remarks from others are not very informative.

I like to work out if something may or may not work before discounting things without any good reason to do so.

A few times I had been skeptical on something in audio only to find it has validity after all. I also see no positive thing about being closed minded on these things :scratch2:

No doubt that if they do have something real behind them, they wouldn't help with systems that have so much distortion elsewhere the effects would be far from apparent....so for many there is little advantage.

Last edited:
Informative remarks come from the designer himself...here is one that demonstrates the level of his familiarity and understanding of phono playback mechanics.

In the comments section he states that the little device weighs about 1/1000 of a gram and stipulates that the tracking force must be adjusted to compensate for this.

Uh huh - so this thread is exactly what I thought it was.

Now it's time for many posting here to read this forum's rules and post accordingly - if you just can't resist practicing your audio comedy routines or trashing tweaks, find somewhere else to do it - this is NOT the place.

This will be the last warning.

Thank You.

given the tone of the op, I read bemusement with the product line as consistent with the spirit of the thread.

honest question: is there a way to structure a thread within AK where things that look to be more amusing than anything else can be laughed at?

given the tone of the op, I read bemusement with the product line as consistent with the spirit of the thread.

honest question: is there a way to structure a thread within AK where things that look to be more amusing than anything else can be laughed at?

Point taken, but as I've learned over the years, we should not be condescending to things we haven't tried.

Personally, I don't have the technical understanding of how this would help, but its best to leave things like that alone. It causes threads to break down real quick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom