Yorx M2601 Multiplex Receiver - saved from a thrift!

Audiomax

Does anyone have one of these beasts? At 18.1 lbs and with all those buttons, knobs and switches, it just had to be saved. It is a Yorx Model 2601 FM/AM Multiplex Receiver with Stereo Cassette and 8-track Recorder. After getting the dust out of it and cleaning up some 30 years of grime, it looks and sounds decent driving a pair of Scott S-15s. Everything still works! The backlit AM/FM panel and the VU meters look nice - especially at night. I couldn't find much about Yorx on the 'net, except that they now make low end stuff. This model was made in Japan, I'm guessing in the early 70's.

Attachments

• YorxM2601.jpg
    YorxM2601.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
I had a similar model, but was a newer version, purchased around 1982. It had 8 track too and a large green LED digital clock. It also had a turntable built in on the top. I ended up blowing the speaker outputs when I decided to "bridge" them. :no:

I'm not aware that Yorx ever made anything but lower end mass market stuff, the only place I've ever saw it for sale around these parts was Kmart.

That being said, if it trips your trigger, fire away.

Nice looking unit. Reminds me of the MCS "beasts" that are now collectible. As long as you keep it cleaned up and running, it will be collectible one day, too!

Oddly enough, Heathkit offered one Yorx combo in their later years. Had a Dolby cassette deck and I think around 25W p/ch output. [EDIT] Found a scan of the catalog description. (Borrowed from Mark.) Look at the price! :screwy:

attachment.php

Last edited:
this reminds me of a dream I had...I had a dream that I was on a roadtrip to a town called Raymond...and I was on one of the last "legs" of the journey when I stumbled upon a store called "Yolonda's Yorx Hideout" hahahahaha

this reminds me of a dream I had...I had a dream that I was on a roadtrip to a town called Raymond...and I was on one of the last "legs" of the journey when I stumbled upon a store called "Yolonda's Yorx Hideout" hahahahaha

The only dream scarrier than that would be one about hair growing out of your teeth.

Celt - Interesting! Looks like the pre-Dolby M2601 preceded the M2600. I'm trying to date this receiver. Is there a date on your Heathkit catalog? The M2601, like the M2600 in the catalog, has the 41-detent "click" volume control. Why 41, I wonder?

wizargoz - I have no doubt that this is NOT collectible, but it is a decent bedside system with a Toshiba SD-3107U CD deck and a Technics M6 deck (yes, with Dolby and more brushed aluminum). And makes for a nice night light, too!

Yikes! I can always take it to Yolonda's Yorx Hideout.:D

I think what the guys are worried about, is that you will charge a toll to pass your bridge, like another member that we once had.....

If not, then welcome aboard..:D

Heathkit was bought by Zenith and the scan was from that era. They became a shadow of their former selves after being bought. The scan is probably from around 1982-84.

Oddly enough, Heathkit offered one Yorx combo in their later years. Had a Dolby cassette deck and I think around 25W p/ch output. [EDIT] Found a scan of the catalog description. (Borrowed from Mark.) Look at the price! :screwy:

attachment.php

Hey, I saw this exact beast this week, though it was a bronze colour and was a 'Sears' model if I'm not mistaken. For $9.99 I almost picked it up for fun----I mean where else could you record your own 8-tracks! It actually looked pretty cool when it was all lit up.

Looks to me to be TOTL Yorx..... Most Yorx I ever saw was not good. This might actually be pretty darn good....

I have 2 of those "biggies",need to check them out....by the way.....whatever happened to ole' Raymond?? Rob

THAT'S freaky! I believe I had something VERY similar to that in 1980 or so and the name was PANASONIC....

It DID sound really good though...

Don:music:

Back
Top Bottom