You ever bid on eBay not expecting to win...and you win?!

jeff spicoli

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Today I put a bid on a pair of altec lansing 846a valencia speakers. I put one bid in and was outbid immediately. I put 3 more bids with the minimum amount and the last one stuck.....$660. I was shocked, I thought for sure I'd get outbid.

Anyways I'm the proud new owner of some altec lansing 846a Valencias. EBay item number 182623733704.

I own klipsch, AR, and ADS but never big Altecs. What do these Altecs sound like? Ill be hooking them up to a Sansui AU9500, Marantz 2226b and a restored Altec 345a power amp paired with a C29 and Carver CT seven. I have a medium sized room and a smallish room with hardwood floors and high ceilings.

So tell me.....how did I do? You can be honest, I can take it

I can't answer your question about the Altecs, but "yes" to your thread title.

I was in the market for a PL-630 turntable, and a pretty decent one came up for auction. During the final day, I decided to say what the hell, throw in a max bid, and let eBay take it from there. When I woke up the next morning, I got an alert saying I had won.

I about fell over cause my winning bid was $179!

- Jeff

A few years ago, I threw a low-ish bid at a Marantz 2600 that was local to me. I thought I had a chance because the auction was ending during the Super Bowl...which turned out to be advantage Socal Sam. I picked it up in person and the guy was understandably pissed.

Yeah we always hear about our good buys but rarely do we hear from the sellers of our good buys. Not saying mine was a good buy I just assumed the altecs brought more

It happened to me many times... actually EVERY time I've put a low bid on an item I didn't really wanted or needed, being sure to be outbid at the last minute then... BINGO !! I won it.

You will love the Valecias. Pair them with tube gear and you will love them them with every you pair them with. Jazz to rock, I love my Valencia's.

Makes you wonder if eBay really is the best place to sell stuff?

Much of top dollar often depends on how long you're willing to hold out, and or the desirability of the item. If you want to hold out long enough someone may be willing to pay a very high price, or you may have the item for a very long time gathering dust.

One thing is certain, eBay gives you exposure that you don't get many other places.

I accidentally bought a car one time by doing this. Entered a $1,000 bid on a cool old Alfa, kind of just to be informed of what it actually sold for, then promptly forgot all about it. Five days later I got the email informing me I'd just bought a car in Illinois.

bs

Somehow I once bid on 2 different auctions for the same set of videos. I was informed that I was outbid, and bid on another auction. I won both. Someone must have defaulted and I was in second place. It became a Christmas present.

Makes you wonder if eBay really is the best place to sell stuff?
It use to be. I think the market is now well saturated with more vintage gear then people now want. Most of the buyers looking for a piece of vintage equipment have gotten what they wanted off eBay as a world market place or Craig's List and Audio Gone. Of course there are still pieces of equipment that gets the big bucks but I think that will also change in time

I accidentally bought a car one time by doing this. Entered a $1,000 bid on a cool old Alfa, kind of just to be informed of what it actually sold for, then promptly forgot all about it. Five days later I got the email informing me I'd just bought a car in Illinois.

bs
Nice. So how'd that one work out?

I do that fairly regularly. Make "losing" bids just to keep track of things. Sometimes I win.

Back
Top Bottom