You got to love this hobby....

jstang

Honey,I can't hear you...
No one home this morning but me, the dog and the system.... Made some recent mods and wanted to give them a high power spin....

With no one home I got the chance to let the system run and stretch its legs.....

It gave me goose bumps with a live recording of the DM Band in Central Park. I was in the Park with them... :D

You got to love this hobby, it never fails to entertain..... :)

Jk

Love the Central Park show. If you really want some goosebumps, spin the Live Trax Volume 1 on vinyl, one of the best pressings I've heard in the last 10 years, the blue vinyl version anyways, not sure about the black vinyl repress, but I'd assume it is the same.

Thanks, Will have to check that out....

I love going to concerts... But there is something about a great live recording that seems to beat being there sound wise. The odds of being at a performance that the sound crew got it just right for where you happen to be sitting are not the best odds....

But a great live recording can be one in a million.

DM is very good sounding in concert. But the best live rock performance sound wise for me was the Who in MSG in 1999. It sounded like huge stereo playing live. It was perfect with no distortion or bad echo. That is so hard to achieve anywhere, let alone in the Garden. John Entwisle was still alive and he put on show on the bass like few can match. They were in their early 50s and could still blow you away.... My wife hated the Who till she saw them live at that time, that sound at that concert turned her into a huge Who fan over night.... She never expected them to play and sound like they did.

Right behind the Who live, DM is my favorite concert, one time I saw them and the sound crew got it just right and it was crystal clear where I was sitting.

The venue, sound crew, where your seats are and if its good or bad night for the band ... All can add up to good or a great show....

But a great live recording on a great system.... Is there for you every time you spin it....

Jk

No doubt about it, to get your best bang for the buck LIVE is a shot in the dark.
My favorite LIVE concerts:
1) Led Zeppelin's first US tour, supporting their 1st Album, opening for
Santana, supporting the 'Abraxas' Album, at Aaron Russo's Electric Theatre (later renamed the Kinetic Playground) in Chicago, 1969, up front, right at the stage,
2) The Cream, supporting the 'Wheels of Fire' Album, at the Chicago Colosseum, 1968, fourth row center, on the isle,

Just to illustrate the chance factor... I also saw the Doors in their prime, and also Jimi Hendrix, both also at the Chicago Colosseum, in 1968, IIRC. Neither concert was anything to write home about; but, of course, my expectations were very high.
Alas, it just wasn't happening that night; and yet, to this day, Jimi is one of my all time favorites.
Hard to beat 'Electric Ladyland' on a good system.
Go figure... When you're Hot, you're Hot; but, when you're not, you're not.
Yep, that's why you pay the big bucks for that once in a lifetime home Audio System...

Last edited:
Sorry to thread hijack but had to respond to PB Audio. The Chicago stadium had the worst acoustics on the planet but I still loved it. Saw Deep Purple in '72 with ZZ Top as warmup. Saw so many great shows around Chicago. Favorite venue was the Auditorium.

Ohh yeah you gotta love it. So sweet to be able to crank it without bothering anyone but the cats!

Every Friday afternoon when I got home from work I would blast "Working Man" by Rush at concert level. My wife took my son to piano lessons and they got home about an hour after me. My dog Max would play air guitar.

One of my all-time favorites I wanted to see live was Neil Young. He cured me of wanting to see him again and my LPs sound different now. Santana did the same years ago when they played at a stadium jam drunk/high and sounded like crap. Same with BTO.

But Rory Gallagher, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, America, David Bowie, The Cure, The Rolling Stones were all excellent live. Rock on.

Sorry to thread hijack but had to respond to PB Audio. The Chicago stadium had the worst acoustics on the planet but I still loved it. Saw Deep Purple in '72 with ZZ Top as warmup. Saw so many great shows around Chicago. Favorite venue was the Auditorium.

I can one up you. Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento Ca. Worst ever but I saw so many bands there anyway. Even Frank Zapa's last tour.

Goose Bumps this morning ....

Best of Peter Gabrial.... At an average of 200 WPC this morning.....

Lay your hands on me or the rythem of the heat at high volumes can not be beat. Not to mention your Ohm speakers really suck up the power.

I was on the concert committe at college, so for most concerts I was literally 10 feet away side stage. So 10 feet from Billy Joel I am hearing the piano live along with his vocals.

others: at the same distance:
The Kinks
The Ramones
South Side Johnny
867-5309 dude
The Good Rats (local NY rockers)
Pure Prarie League

Goose Bumps this morning ....

Best of Peter Gabrial.... At an average of 200 WPC this morning.....

On to ELP's Lucky Man and I believe in Father Christmas....

Both are a favorite of my this time of year....

Saw the GD at Soldier Field a few times in the 80s. Awful shows, horrific acoustics.

Dude...Nice... There are so many bands that would have loved to hear live, but never got around to it....

I think I saw the Ramones and Good Rats, but those brain cells evacuated the premise.......

I was on the concert committe at college, so for most concerts I was literally 10 feet away side stage. So 10 feet from Billy Joel I am hearing the piano live along with his vocals.

others: at the same distance:
The Kinks
The Ramones
South Side Johnny
867-5309 dude
The Good Rats (local NY rockers)
Pure Prarie League

It gave me goose bumps with a live recording of the DM Band in Central Park. I was in the Park with them...

Maybe a DM question, but we talking the Dave Matthews Band?

If so, I just caught their Red Rocks concert on AXS a bit back ... outstanding! I've seen it scheduled a couple times, so keep an eye out or get the CD or DVD ... or better yet, both!

PS ... the AXS concert is from 1995. I was just digging around Amazon and found a box set they did for another series of concerts at Red Rocks in 2005 that has a lot of the same material and better engineering. Includes free MP3 download for instant gratification ...

If not ... never mind ... :D

I love it when the wife goes to visit family....dogs and I rock the garage down! I love the sound of Whitesnake S/T and Slide it in. Sounds amazing. And as for concerts I agree with the above...Billy Joel at the Virginia Beach amphitheater was beyond great!

Back
Top Bottom