You guys rock - literally

NWHR_FST

Hi. Quick intro and big thank you to thank the AK community for providing lots of info, opinions, encouragement.

I got interested in vintage audio because I wanted to give my husband, who is 10 yrs older, an epic gift by re-building the system he bought as a young adult.

My husband still had his speakers, but he thought they were toast because the surrounds were disintegrating. I knew from reading AK that the surrounds could be replaced, so after a few clicks on eBay, the perfect replacements were on their way. A few nights later, he had replaced his first surrounds and gaskets. Even used the Dremmel to shine things up a bit before gluing.

The amp and tuner were a little harder to come by, but I finally found both (and exactly what we were looking for) from a vintage shop I discovered on eBay -- and even drove 2hrs to pick 'em up vs shipping. Just need to find bulbs for the tuner dial. (Well, of course I overpaid...it was a KILLER gift)

Check it out: KA-7100, KT-7500, CV D-1
Excuse the mess and the XM radio -- it's so old now it's almost vintage too
KA7100KT7500CVD1.jpg

Thanks to AK for great info and resources...I am definitely hooked now and find myself obsessed with Craigslist.

Next up: though the D-1s are a surprisingly robust speaker for the size, I know the 7100 can really shine with upgraded speakers...

Hi. Quick intro and big thank you to thank the AK community for providing lots of info, opinions, encouragement.

I got interested in vintage audio because I wanted to give my husband, who is 10 yrs older, an epic gift by re-building the system he bought as a young adult.

My husband still had his speakers, but he thought they were toast because the surrounds were disintegrating. I knew from reading AK that the surrounds could be replaced, so after a few clicks on eBay, the perfect replacements were on their way. A few nights later, he had replaced his first surrounds and gaskets. Even used the Dremmel to shine things up a bit before gluing.

The amp and tuner were a little harder to come by, but I finally found both (and exactly what we were looking for) from a vintage shop I discovered on eBay -- and even drove 2hrs to pick 'em up vs shipping. Just need to find bulbs for the tuner dial. (Well, of course I overpaid...it was a KILLER gift)

Check it out: KA-7100, KT-7500, CV D-1
Excuse the mess and the XM radio -- it's so old now it's almost vintage too
KA7100KT7500CVD1.jpg

Thanks to AK for great info and resources...I am definitely hooked now and find myself obsessed with Craigslist.

Next up: though the D-1s are a surprisingly robust speaker for the size, I know the 7100 can really shine with upgraded speakers...

Welcome to AK!

The KA-7100 is a nice amp and has a very good phono section. That means records sound really good on it! Some KLH Model 6's would sound really nice with that amp. They're acoustic suspension speakers from the 60's and early 70's that are almost iconic. Should be pretty easy to find in your neck of the woods. Lot's of them up on ebay for decent prices.

Now that you've got the vintage stereo bug, be warned that it will only be cured through more purchases! :D

Hello and welcome.

This site is a wonderful source of information for vintage gear.
I love to see it save the stuff.

If you are having trouble locating lamps for the unit, contact AK member dgwojo. Dave is the go to guy around here for lamps for vintage gear.

He has a web site and it has said "under construction" for years.
Although it doesn't list everything for everything, he probably has something that works. So just email him.

Great story, and welcome to AK!

My wife bought me some of my nicest pieces, and has accompanied me to AKFest and to drop off amps in Ohio for repair. She doesn't care for music much, but we enjoy the time together.

Congrats, and have a good time here!

Welcome to the madness aka AK!!!

It is a breath of fresh air to see a wife supporting the husband's hobby. My wife lets me indulge in the only hobby I have. She also enjoys the benefits as she loves music just as much as I do.

It would be wonderful if you and your husband become active members and participate as often as you can. As you already know, AK has a wealth of information just waiting to share and help when needed.

Enjoy the music, especially together! :music:

Back
Top Bottom