You know you got some big ass speakers......

blown windows- almost!

I stopped a hair short of blowing out the extra large sized windows
in my 10th floor college dorm room. The windows took up an entire
wall of my room , about 12 feet X 8 feet. I cranked up my Pioneer sx 1250
to 11:00 driving Bose 901 series 2s, heard,saw, & felt the glass vibrating-
thought about how cool it would be to blow them out with sound, then thought again about the wind whipping in on the 10th floor & how long it probably would take for the school to replace the windows (and who would be paying for it!) Let them shake a little longer, then threw the muting switch.
It was a close call. But a cheap trill.

A friend of mine has 6 big-ass Polk towers in his HT set-up, LSi25s. As well, two other 12" subs, everything powered by a flock of Brystons running off a Marantz pre/pro. The man races cars for a hobby, so he is already near deaf as a post. He wanted to show off his new HT to me, so he fires everything up, and drops in Days of Thunder. Cut to the race. CRANKS everything up. The room is 14x18, maybe. LOUD, stop your heart loud. The large ficus tree in the corner is shaking so bad, it is dumping leaves like a November frost hit it. I am sitting next to him, screaming at him to turn it down, and he can't hear me. Ten seconds of movie couldn't end fast enough. He turned to me, grinning, and said, "Great sound, eh?" I couldn't hear him. Walked outside and felt like I was underwater. Could hear my heartbeat, and little else. Took three hours to get my hearing back.

Latest word from my buddy is that he scored an Infra sub from Bagend. Trying to work that into his LR. "Gets down to 8 Hz, maybe lower!" I'm not setting foot in that room.

When they can compare to...

Standing at the starting line at an NHRA Top Fuel race. I did that once, and also for a Pro Modified final. My body/mind continuim was rotated 180 degrees out.

Nearest to that was a ZZ Top concert in the '70s. Ears rang for days afterward.

Sandy G said:
Enya ?!? Jeez...-Sandy G.

Ed Zachry.

Then again, what else would a guy that drives a pink Miata listen to? A fresh Franklin says he's got Liza's entire collection, and a full size poster to boot.

It's not Liberace, it's Thorace.

TA, I've got bookshelf speakers you can't see over for cripes sake. The Amazings must be like the goddamn Hoover Dam to you.

Thank you folks, I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitresses and bartenders.....

Cheers,
Russ

hah servo subs god..... so many bad experiences, actually in ehre my romm right now i have 1/4 of my bass rig down to practise and the shake was knocking my guitar stand around..... another time i had a full stack that was without feet and standing on the handle, a bit unstable but the two cabinets were out of phase and boom it collapsed... suprisingly no damage to speakers or cabinets..... go figure

my speakers

my speakers can make dust fall from the cieling blow fuses and crack windows and shake the silver wear in the cubbords is that good? remimber im only 15

hah 16 here, you gotta be a scrounger like me, my home reconed EV's wow..... those move a lot of air

Wornears said:
Standing at the starting line at an NHRA Top Fuel race. I did that once, and also for a Pro Modified final. My body/mind continuim was rotated 180 degrees out.

Nearest to that was a ZZ Top concert in the '70s. Ears rang for days afterward.

Been there... but how about being BUZZED (at an Air Force air show) by an F-104 (going to full A/B!) at just over treetop level? As in, he "did a flyby" of the tower (as in Top Gun).

Broke windows in one of the hangars. Bet that super stick got his @$$ chewed good by the CO when he got back on deck! :D :lmao: :thmbsp:

Also you think a TOP FUEL car is loud, how about one of those freakin' TRACTOR PULLERS with not ONE, but FIVE blown Hemis?? Makes a noise that sounds like the universe coming to an end! I think that's still the loudest steady-state (as in 10 seconds or more!) noise I've ever heard... even with ear plugs and my hands over my ears, it STILL was too much!

Though, I have to say... we've got a HT system at work, that was setup with the Tannoy Eyris dual-concentric floor-standing speakers, matching center, bookshelf rears, and the Tannoy TS10 sub, running from the NAD T773 HT receiver (NAD's biggest receiver)... and playing Mario Andretti's 'Super Speedway' DVD... THAT's what a REAL race car sounds like! I've BEEN THERE (Road Atlanta) when (older) Champ cars were running, and that HT had it to where it was pretty much EXACTLY LIKE what I remembered hearing. I'm still impressed with THAT!

Regards,
Gordon.

HUH? WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY???

I'd say the winner is the one without a bad case of tinnitus by the time he's 50. Hearing damage is nothing to screw around with.

Use your brains guys.

Just being annoying, Gary, just being annoying...some of her stuff I like too. I'm funny-just because I like a particular artist/group doesn't necessarily mean I won't rip into 'em occasionally. I'm the kinda fella who'd bitch if they hung me w/a new rope...-Sandy G.

I would of liked to of been at the launching of a Saturn V rocket, reportably the loudest thing on Earth.

Good Advice

EchoWars said:
HUH? WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY???

I'd say the winner is the one without a bad case of tinnitus by the time he's 50. Hearing damage is nothing to screw around with.

Use your brains guys.

I cant agree more. . . I have a pair of AR-1s that I bought from Big Yank each one has a sunfire sub ,500 watts on a 15 in both speakers and they will flat come after you if thats your thing. They work so well I sold my Adcom GFA-565 and my SVS 2039. . .

That said I keep it setup properly and I usually watch movies at -20db not ever at referance 0db. . . The bass is there if called apon, even at -20 it can get wickedly loud.

I worked around Saw Mills all my life and I have protected my hearing. . . Many of my friends who are my age have serious hearing damage. . . Once gone it wont grow back. . .

When you guys crank her up just keep it brief. . . Shoot I have been known to wear ear plugs when "Showing Out"

Saturn 5 launch

DanTana..,,,,,

I WAS at a launch of a Saturn 5 moon rocket.July 16 1969,Apollo 11.My parents and I were visiting my Moms sister in Florida.I was 7 at the time,and
really obsessed with rockets/space stuff,so my Dad took off work so we could
be in Florida at the time of the launch.
We camped out a a gas station with about 100 other people about 3-4 miles away.I believe this was about as close as civilian observers could get.It was just incredable!!!!!This WAVE of sound and vibration just rolled over us,ground shaking like crazy.I still remember that day like it was yesterday. :thmbsp:

Greg

27 years of driving around 50 feet away from J-57 and then TF-33 engines, on a tanker that has a joke for soundproofing, wearing headsets that were worthless at providing hearing protection (they finally started getting David Clark equipment for us around 1983), did my ears a lot worse than my speakers ever could. I am quite aware of my condition and I don't mess with it. Just because their big doesn't mean I play them real loud.

TA

Sandy G said:
Enya ?!? Jeez...-Sandy G.

Now, now, I was doing the dishes, the only two times I crank tunes is partying and when I do the dishes ;) My hands were in the soap washing so I couldn't change it right away, the ladies of the house have had me DL a ton o' stuff that ain't mine to listen to but since just hit play and use the shuffle feature and press FF on my RF PC remote control when a song comes on I don't like. So I had of few minutes of that Enya song from the Titanic going and just happened to notice the silverware dancing in the drawer ;) :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom