You may only keep one guitar...

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by Ross6860, Jul 13, 2017.

1. vonclod

vonclod AK Subscriber Subscriber

Probably my Desert Camo Jackson..I like the ebony fretboard, very simple but suits the music I like to play
    jackson.jpg

jack_shite, louisjames and Ross6860 like this.
  2. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's a beautiful guitar. I love having a Telecaster in the stable.

I keep a MIM Tele out in the family room at all times. A Pacific Blue 60th Anniversary model with Fender CS "Vintage" pickups, Fender American tuners, CTS pots and I can't remember what cap is in it (either Mustard or Mallory, I think).

IMG2_0244.jpg

I rolled the fretboard edges and I had to do something about that stark white maple board. It was a PITA to get something to color the board because Fender poly-u's the necks. I sanded the finish off the neck and as much as I could get off from between the frets without messing them up and then tung oiled it. Leveled and polished the frets when it was all said and done.

It's a keeper, just not #1.

vonclod and jack_shite like this.
  3. James Hart

James Hart Webguy :: Bassist

Guitar, I'll stick with my 83 Ibanez RS315 turned into an Esquire...
    [​IMG]

If you are talking any string instrument... it would be my Bee...
    [​IMG]

but my URB would give me pause since it is where my current learnin is focused...
    [​IMG]

4. Northwinds

Northwinds Huh? Turn what down? Subscriber

Just saw this and your correct about the Classic Plus. Take a look at the snot greenish yellow inlays, the neck that was as wavy as the lake seen from my backyard. Henry should have named it a Crappy Plus

I am pretty sure the pancake bodies ended in the mid 70s after a short run. I think they started in 1969, same year as when the volute start showing up on Gibson's which was actually a damn good idea. I have seen so many older Gibson's with the headstocks snapped off from falling over or other accidental mishaps. Good way to strengthen that area

5. Northwinds

Northwinds Huh? Turn what down? Subscriber

Here is the best Henry era Les Paul I have owned and regret selling everyday still. 1991 Tobaccoburst plaintop non weight relieved Standard, this played and sounded every bit as good as any Les Paul of any dollar amount I have tried out or owned. Only thing not stock was I pulled the original pups and put in a pair of Tim Shaw wound PAF's, both read 7.9 ohms (he was more known for his T-Tops and Dirty Fingers winds). This guitar was a perfect match for me, one that got away that I can never replace short of buying it back from the woman who owns it now, problem is she lives in Sweden last I knew

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    john111/LZ, vonclod and louisjames like this.
  6. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

Jack -- always loved this look on a Tele. I remember first time I saw one when in the booklet for a Clapton compilation album. I think it was from the Blind Faith era. After that a Tele Custom was on my short list.

jack_shite likes this.
  7. jack_shite

jack_shite New Member

Yeah, my camera pic under shop floodlight doesn't do it justice.
    It looks 'right'. The sunburst looks like a friend's real one. His has worn differently due to nitro lacquer aging as opposed to poly, but mine has enough dings and character to make me happy.

8. louisjames

I know you've posted this one before but gotz to say that is one drool-worthy LP in really beautiful condition. I especially like the pickguard and pup rings against the Tobacco Burst and chrome.

9. BobbyBluz

BobbyBluz Well-Known Member

My 70 LP Custom that Hubert Sumlin gave and signed to me 30 years ago. I still use it regularly 20476251_10209671426558957_4973792101020835108_n.jpg 20793385_1532837563404670_1926745813_n.jpg as a gig guitar.

10. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Smokestack Lightnin' His-self...wow. I would never give that up either.

I'm sure there's a good story to go along with that guitar.:)

11. louisjames

Even nicer up close. Is that a TP6 tailpiece you added? I did similar to my LP as the Grovers were slipping and I found the fine tuning tailpiece a real advantage.

12. BobbyBluz

BobbyBluz Well-Known Member

Yes, it had a chrome one when I got the guitar from Hubert. It needed a lot of work. I got that tailpiece for $10 from a friend at a local music store. I had to do a little work with a Dremel tool to get it to fit properly. I see they now sell for well over $100 new. Here it is in action a few years back running directly into my reissue 65 Super Reverb. Rockin' Johnny Burgin is on the other guitar.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017 at 11:51 PM