You may only keep one guitar...

]I have owned over a hundred guitars and basses in my life, but it really comes down to just two.
1) '71 Goldtop Deluxe LP with a full humbucker in the bridge position ( I know, I know)
2) black '86 Standard LP

Neither is of any vintage to speak of, but they are both far above any other guitar I have ever played in tone quality and playability. The black one is my favorite by a little bit, but the beat up goldtop looks amazing. I have been told by more than one person that the Standard sounds a whole lot like a real '59. I've had it for years, and dragged it over several continents with me in the name of rock !!!!

I thought that I had quoted your post earlier but apparently there was some operator error!
The "Thanks, much appreciated!" was intended for you.:beerchug:

Agreed on J45 / J50's. I've had slope shoulders made by other luthiers - Santa Cruz, Kevin Kopp and John Walker (both of whom came out of the Gibson Montana shop) as well as a Greven that I liked very much. While the Kopp, Walker and Greven came the closet to what I hear in my head as the J45 / J50 sound, only the Gibson I had nailed it. That said, I had to play through a boatload to find the "one" and surprisingly enough, it wasn't a vintage one, nor the most expensive. And while some will diss the adjustable bridge versions like yours or like the 65 sunburst I had, I think they are excellent. The only ones I didn't really care for were the early 60's transitional models with the plastic belly bridge and pencil necks. And nice that it worked out for you. I think many of us have had similar experiences and hearing that sellers are honorable is always heartwarming.

My circa '43 "banner" J-45 is the best sounding and playing acoustic geetar I've ever owned, and I've been through (owned and/or played @ shows, shops, etc.) A LOT of acoustic geetars during the past 47 years.

Nice to see another Ibanez AM fan. I've had an AM-100 since the early 90's and it's one of the very few guitars I've always kept. Amazing that it took Gibson 20 years after Ibanez introduced it to tip to the smaller "335-type" body size. Typically great Ibanez build quality, playability and sound. And while the AM-200 with the burl top was considered the one to have, I always liked the 50 and 100 the best. First time I saw one was this ad in Guitar Player featuring John Bushnell "flying" through the air.

moz66oMG9zMsUUf5Kcr3GYQ.jpg
They really are great guitars. I also like the "what the hell is that" look it gets from other players.

I don't want to live in a world where i can have only 1 guitar. But if forced to keep 1 acoustic and 1 electric ...it would be my 1956 Martin D-18 and custom made Campbell American UK1.

Probably one that I let go of when I was in a discouraged phase,
A Travis Bean TB-500, serial # 107
Nothing ever played like that thing.
Wasn't crazy about the pups, modified it (with a Bridgeport mill ) to accept DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Now I really miss that cheese slicer, I'll never see another.

I have 40 guitars currently. But if I had too.
My 2000 Korean Epiphone Les Paul Cherry Sunburst
Why? Because it was $320 (no tax law in 2018), with a HSC. A No Brainer. And if you put a blind fold on, you think you were playing a $3k Les Paul. One of my top playing sounding guitars.

Honorable mention, any of my Ibanez guitars made in Japan

20200421_094431.jpg 20200421_094445.jpg 20200421_094459.jpg 20200421_094518.jpg

It would be my Les Paul for sure. It just feels right in my hands and I just love the sounds I can get out of it.

My Matsumoku made Vantage VP820. This guitar plays and sounds wonderful Coil tap to get single coil sound on both pickups, plus a switch that puts the pickups out of phase to get the "Peter Green" sound.View attachment 1843707

Vantage (Matsumoku) made a lot of really nice guitars in the late 70's through the early to mid 80's. I had a similar model VP795 which I enjoyed for years. Would like to eventually get my hands on an Entertainer model.

This would be very, very hard. It would come down to either my New Hartford-built Guild D55 or my Huss & Dalton DS Custom. With much angst and pain, the DS would probably stay, as the D55's weakness is that doesn't do bluegrass very well :(

No great guitars here, but I'd probably keep my Ovation Balladeer and Ibanez AS-73 (335 copy) with P-90s.
It's not really the guitar... it's the guitar player that makes 95% of the difference.

Back
Top Bottom