You must try Infinity beta 50's!!!

thunderbird3370

Good morning people! I was in the market for a new home theater system, and I came across a set of Beta 50's for 150.00 a peice, open box special, they retail for 1200.00 with taxes, for boxed new ones, anyway, I got them home and wanted to see how they would sound on my marantz 2385 receiver, and "Oh my god" do they ever sound sweet--creamy mids and beautifull highs and chest pounding bass from two little 8 inch drivers in each, and this is TIGHT bass mind you! They really "LOVE" the clean sound of my marantz, These are really awsumb for entry level speakers, and very solid cabinets at 70lbs a peice, has anyone ever hear these? You must try them, and I bet they are sweet on tubes too!! fairly easy to drive at 91db's rating at 8 ohms, and 250 watt peak handling power, go and audition a pair and bring them home for thirty days, if you dont like em take them back!! BUT they seem to love vintage very much--I beleive these are the new version of the primus series! "go try-em I thinks you'll love em! :yes: the bird

thunderbird3370 said:
--I beleive these are the new version of the primus series! "go try-em I thinks you'll love em! :yes: the bird
Actually, I believe the Betas are the next line up-market from the Primus series. The Beta line uses the more expensive CMMD drivers, as opposed to the MMD drivers in the Primus models. The B50 looks to me to be the more expensive brother to the Primus 360. Similar design with improved drivers, I would expect the sound of the Beta 50 to be at least similar and perhaps an improvement on the 360.

I have a pair of Beta 20's on the way. Look forward to trying them out in stereo before they go into the HT set-up.

I've listened to these in at least two different stores. Given their specs and their price I really, really wanted to like them.

Unfortunately, they just didn't appeal to me in their settings and being driven by new-style electronics (A/V receivers.)

The Primus 360 did get great reviews here and in the magazines and the Beta is notch above. The equivalent JBL also got a good review - they thought the JBL was good for rock music - doh!

Try them on vintage!

Whitehall said:
I've listened to these in at least two different stores. Given their specs and their price I really, really wanted to like them.

Unfortunately, they just didn't appeal to me in their settings and being driven by new-style electronics (A/V receivers.)

The Primus 360 did get great reviews here and in the magazines and the Beta is notch above. The equivalent JBL also got a good review - they thought the JBL was good for rock music - doh!
If you can, bring a good powered vintage receiver or just bring a pair home on the 30 trial(circuit city) and hook those puppies up to a vintage--"VERY" big difference compared to the Onkyo tx nr1000---my vintage 2385 marantz really really opens these up---and you know whats funny is the fact I just paid 3700.00 for this onkyo home theater receiver, and the marantz WILL eat it alive with sound and power, these betas really do love my marantz--trust me--especially if you got a very strong powered marantz you will love these set properly at two feet from side of them and the wall behind 18 inches away, for proper sound--they are really amazing--the best 300.00 I spent in a long long time- and I will be going back for 4 beta 20's for surround and rear surround and the betta center and hopefully can find a matching infinity subwoofer as they dont make those for the beta series! as you all DO know vintage IS RAW power compared to nowaday stuff! I just by the streak of luck got these for a mere 300.00, and I'm very happy with them, and Ifinity still has that 5 year warrantee too! I just might have to get another pair to have on my marantz! :yes: the bird

also too!

JUst wanted to add that these beta's are great with jazz and easy listening, soft rock, not sure how they would handle hard rock, as I do mostly jazz and easy listening, and new age and blues---it's all good! the bird

Back
Top Bottom