You Never Know What You Missed...

4Play

Since I sold the MA5100, I had been using the Jolida JD202 tube integrated. As much as I love the tube gear, the only problem I have with the Jolida is there no tone controls. The buyer returned the MA5100, so I connected it to the system and turned it on and set the tone controls. I didn't realize what I was missing. The sound is so much extended instead of flat.

Eventually I would love to upgrade to a MA6300. Until then, I will enjoy this 48 year old MA5100. :banana: :music:

Jon, I couldn't agree with you more. As good as the Jolida is, it would be a much better amp if it had tone controls. I don't think I will be selling the MA5100 anytime soon. Unless someone has a MA6300 for trade, and only then will I consider parting with it.

I think someone in this thread said not to sell it:rolleyes:

ha ha anyway Im glad it came back to you..:thmbsp:

Yes, I remember that person well. :thmbsp:

If things keep going good, I may have a nice Jolida JD202 for sale in the near future. Why they don't include tone controls is beyond :thmbsp:e. That is the only downside to owning tube gear.

Regarding the returned MA 5100... You still owe me some money 4Play! I'm tired of this "good ole boy" persona you seem to have created for yourself here on AK. I never thought I would get burned by another AK'er who wouldn't take responsibility for his poor packing!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=665678

PayPal has taken care of you. You got your money back. As for me paying you any extra, sorry Bub but that dog don't hunt.

Your post does not belong in this thread. You have stated your concerns in Feedback and PayPal has reimbursed you. As far as I'm concerned this case is closed, and you can keep your comments to yourself.

I rarely use tone controls myself but am very glad to have them when they're needed. Recordings are as different as the engineers making them.

I rarely use tone controls myself but am very glad to have them when they're needed. Recordings are as different as the engineers making them.

Tone controls come in handy when listening to internet radio and analog. I guess I'm too old school.

If you're wanting to upgrade to a Mac integrated with tone controls, you'll need something other than the MA6300; it has no tone controls. McIntosh does not put tone/EQ controls on entry level integrates or top-of-the-line preamps.
If you really want to enjoy the benefits of tone shaping on a Mac integrated, you best save up for a used MA6900, an MA7000 or the current model MA7900.

:dammit:

That is a shame. Don't understand McIntosh's logic on this one. Not sure what I will do. Need to give this more thought.

Thank you Mortis for sharing the information.

Why not seek out a high quality octave equalizer, like an Audio Control or Crown for example, and insert it in the tape loop? Such an EQ will allow you to tweak til your heart's content and they're somewhat inexpensive. It's as simple to remove it from the audio path entirely by switching the Tape Loop OUT.

I always found the 5 controls introduced in the C32 to be almost perfect for fixing some of the abominations recording engineers created to sell albums via the radio.

In that vein a MA6200, MA6900, or MA7000 should meet your expectations.

I always found the 5 controls introduced in the C32 to be almost perfect for fixing some of the abominations recording engineers created to sell albums via the radio.

In that vein a MA6200, MA6900, or MA7000 should meet your expectations.

I have had the same experience. Most of the time I don't use them but having them when I need them makes listening more enjoyable! And they are out of the circuit when set to "flat".

RR goes into great detail as to why those 5 particular frequency centerings were chosen and yes, they are very effective.

I find the 4 kHz and 20 kHz on the MQ 101 come in handy as well.

After spending many years voicing systems with room, parametric, and graphic EQ's I have my own slant on the subject. If your system isn't voiced properly to begin with then tone controls, be they simple treble and bass, 5 band graphic like a C-34 has, or filters like a C-46 or C50 have are really not performing as well as possible. They will emphasize nasty peaks already in the system due to poor speaker design or bad room design. Dips caused by above or due to resonant panels or glass panes flexing can never be corrected by any electronic device. Standing waves and other anomalies have maybe a 30% chance of being controlled. So get the room correct first, then think when selecting your listerning position in relation to the speaker locations, then voice the system, and finally your tone controls will do the job very effectively with very little adjustment. 3 or 4 db in boost or cut can really make a world of difference in the reproduction of a performance done exquisitely from the beginning. Those who say they don't need the flexibility of tone controls are in denial. Like Paul Klipsch you to say. Go to a live concert and get your ears tuned up. And I say do it often. In doors, out doors, large venues and small. You'll soon fine that different labels have different sonic signatures, DG for instance. Some european equipment has a special EQ setting for DG recordings. They need it. Other labels like Chandos tend to mic a lot of performances at to far a distance for my taste. With just a simple little boost her and there you turn a very laid back performance to a closer more pleasing experience. Those of us with line array speakers may find some recordings to intimate which means the graphic controls on Mac pre-amps can help put a little distance between us and the performer. That's one complaint I have with the 2k and 1k, they sometimes bring the performance to close, and why I prefer the XR290 and XRT28. The XRT 26 is even worse than the IK and 2K at over emphasizing hi frequencies. I don't want Buddy Rich's cymbals and trap set sitting in my lap, and that can happen with 1k and 2k speakers. The 10 KHZ control can really return the proper perspective in most cases. Have you all ever heard a recording of classical music when every thing is just fine and then all of a sudden either the triangle, small cymbal or tambourine is just to strong with the strings having and edge as if you were sitting on the directors podium. Well a treble control with 3 or 4 db de-emphasis at 10 khz can be just the answer. Want that disco sound in your home. its easy with a parametric EQ. Just shelve up the bass from 70 hz down to 25 hz up 5 to 8db. Make sure there are no peaks. The bass will be tight and move those thigh muscles to dance, without the bloom of mushy bass contributed by frquencies over emphasized above 70 to 150 hz. Some producers choose Colette mics from Shoeps to get the emphasis above 7 khz they want, or they'll use some of the older classic tube Telefunkens or Neumann mics to get a similar result but while keeping control of the over all balance. Have you noticed in modern recording of the human voice the over emphasis of frequencies above 6 khz that were never there on recordings in the 50 60's and early 70's. Nat king Coke, Sinatra, Perry Como, Dinah Shore, Peggy Lee Julie London all had big full natural sound with out the over emphasis of todays recording from performers. Macs graphic controls are ideal to control todays overly exaggerated intimate soloist recording.

Back
Top Bottom