You Vintage Tape Guys Are Infectious!

Dr. Music

I've been hankering to get a cassette deck after years of being away from the format, mainly because of reading how much doggone FUN it seems like you tape guys have. A month or so back I picked up a few NOS TDK SA-90's sitting on the shelf at my local GW, knowing that at some point I'd be joining in the fray. Been seeing so-so cheapo junk cassette decks going in and out but wanted to wait for something I consider decent to start back with.

Last night they finally had a deck I considered worth taking home. I picked up a Technics RS-TR272 cassette deck in wonderful cosmetic shape at my local GW for $6. Dual well, Dolby HX-Pro, one of their later models. Not an elite deck by any means but a good starter deck to see if I want to do more than just play around with the format these days. I've always owned Technics decks since the 70's and they were all solid workhorses.

There were also some NOS TDK D-120's in among the prerecorded tapes and I jumped on them as well. Back in my early twenties I used them plenty; not quite capable of producing a high bias tape recording sound but still pretty good and they always help up well for me. Thing is, I KNOW I have some NOS packs of good tape sitting in my storage shed as well... I'm gonna have to start excavating and see if I can find them :)....

Last edited:
Its a disease I tell you :) I now have 8 cassette decks, 3 need work. But I do enjoy listening to them all. Have fun

Things get like that. I picked up a couple decent decks. Now I have to keep them fed. :D Not a bad bug.

I know what you're saying for sure: I have 5 cassette decks. But if you think cassettes are infectious, just wait until you get an open reel deck!:D

I hate this forum. It ruined my life. I sleep with tape decks. I really need therapy.
And they won't stop showing up at the front door!!

What have I become.....

Therapy nothin'

At this rate I am gonna need a divorce lawyer in the near future lol.

I got 'bit' by the audio bug again buying some old gear for my teens.. I absolutely hate these horribly over priced things you hook an i-pod/mp3 player to that they call a 'stereo'...sheesh. Without spending a ton of bucks most of them have the equivalent of a cheap car radio for an amp with some full range no-room-for-bass-throw drivers. And then there is all that plastic....*shudder!*

So I was gonna show 'em what stereo equipment was really all about 'back in the day'. I started out finding them receivers, then tape decks and even *equalizers (*never used on my 'good' system but they look rather cool and are impressive to a kid who has never seen one before).

I showed 'em you can use the tape in for most players.... good thing most of the big ole receivers had 2 tape loops... Now I have them making me (gladly) cassettes from mp3's for my '87 Shelby GLH-S Charger that still has the original tape deck in it! Woo-Hoo! :smoke:

All I had to do was touch a dial and WHAM! I got the disease again myself...
Now I am actually looking at restoring my old Nak 700II cassette deck and am actively hunting NOS tapes....

btw... If you think you can relate...??? I don't think so... 'cause I don't have a wife to bribe... I AM the wife lol.

Time to start buying him some more power tools I guess lol :D

Silver

This is how it all stared for me as well, one year ago. If then someone told me I would have several open reel machines, looking for 1/2 inch fridge-size monster, it would have seem impossible. Now it's real. Tapes are everywhere. Wife and friends treat me like a drug addict - with compassion but also firmly. And this forum, some members in particular, made a major contribution to where I am now. The worst of all, is that I do enjoy it, even when it is clearly insane!

They are fun. I have been recording some albums over the last couple of days and am enjoying listining to them on my way to and from work. The car is a great place to really sit back and listen to the music.

They are fun. I have been recording some albums over the last couple of days and am enjoying listining to them on my way to and from work. The car is a great place to really sit back and listen to the music.

Yes, the car is a good venue for the cassette format. More easily handled and therefore less distraction from the road. But here's the question, can you still get a decent car cassette and at a decent price. All I've seen lately are junky $20 models at discount stores. I've got 3 vehicles w/ decks and they all are getting long of tooth but thank goodness still funtional.

Decks can be very habit forming. Probably passed up 5 or 6 last weekend @ yard sales. But couldn't pass this one up, besides the 2 dollars was burning a hole in my pocket anyway. :smoke:

09200061.jpg

Back in the day - late 70's - I started out with a silver Technics single well player, God only knows which one as it's been long ago replaced by other Technics decks along the way; I'm guessing I've owned 4 or 5 up to the time I got away from the format in the 90's, and have never spent a significant amount on a deck, usually in the $200 range. I definitely want to find another well performing silver face along the way!

Decks can be very habit forming. Probably passed up 5 or 6 last weekend @ yard sales. But couldn't pass this one up, besides the 2 dollars was burning a hole in my pocket anyway. :smoke:

09200061.jpg

Does it work? I paid $25.00 for a CR-1A and thought I was getting a pretty good deal. The CR-2A is definitely a nicer deck since it has the bias fine tune and variable output. Nice find!!!:beerchug:

I wanted a black faced unit for the H/T setup and picked up a CR-1A at last years 'fest. It doesn't see much use, but does sound very good for a low end unit. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom