You will take my iPad from my cold dead fingers

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I slipped a little farther into the Apple universe today. I was west of Cheyenne to video the Arrival of the 4884 locomotive, 4014 Big Boy the most powerful class of steam locomotives ever made. This was the first time I have ever used the video capabilities this iPad Air has. It was very handy to be able to see exactly was was being recorded on the screen The biggest problem I had was seeing the screen through a set of glasses with Transitions lenses. While I was holding it up recording I was getting some quizzical looks from people who had never seen anyone using a tablet to do a video. I am pleased with this first effort Below is the raw video I have not yet tweaked it with iMovie.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRSfmN30UuiqCYMDFPM-oGQ

cool video! who knew apple would all but eliminate the need for digital cameras ? other than Steve that is.

Cool. You certainly captured Wyoming from what I remember. A little more wind and I would belive I was right there. :D

It just amazes me. I had a monster VHS video cam' back in the day, it was like I had a Stinger missile on my shoulder.

Very cool! I saw a 4884 in Rock Springs years ago on its way East to Cheyenne.

Last edited:
EDIT: never mind. No way to say it nicely. I'm glad you like your Ipad. Consider that people behind you might not like it so much to have their view blocked. That is all. :D

EDIT: never mind. No way to say it nicely. I'm glad you like your Ipad. Consider that people behind you might not like it so much to have their view blocked. That is all. :D

Nobody behind me to block, this is Wyoming not packed in like sardines :D

Nobody behind me to block, this is Wyoming not packed in like sardines :D

I apologize, my remark came off badly. I'm sure you're right. My initial response was emotional, based on my experiences dealing with phone-and-tablet wavers at events I had been asked to cover as a photographer. Soccer Moms just *love* holding those things over their heads to get their lil' darlin' dashing about on the field, regardless of the fact that no one behind them can see a thing. Weddings are a disaster these days (I haven't shot a wedding in a long time, but I'm still in contact with lots of my old pal wedding photographers). Those tablets take up a lot of space, and held overhead is just rude (when there are people behind you).

Again, my apologies for coming off the way I did.

That is OK that sort of thing would chap my a$$ as well. I actually had the pad in front of my face. One thing I learned yesterday is sunglasses and automatic darkening lenses do not work with an iPad out side I could barely see what was on the screen. I think an iPhone would have worked better.

Still the subject of much debate.

I get you there is room for argument on both sides. I am just happy that in a few years we in Cheyenne will once again hear the song of a Big Boy which my mother who remembers the days when the 4884's where in service she told me you could hear 10 miles away in the right conditions they certainly could be hear through out Cheyenne. The bottom line is a Big Boy has come home to live again.:D

4884 tractive effort 135,375 lbf
2666 tractive effort 110,200 lbf

2666 7,498 hp
4884 6,290 np

But the 2666 "Allegheny" locomotives are all in museums, sad.:sigh:

Back
Top Bottom