Young enthusiast that may need some guidance

a.gang

Hi,

I just joined this forum after being recommended by the gentleman that I purchased my bang & olufsen beogram 4002. So I return home to resurrect a hand me down stereo system, a luxman r-114 receiver that's routing some b & w floor speakers, when I came across something that I could not pinpoint.

So I tested the system with the tape deck and everything is in proper order. Now, I plugged in the tt in to the aux/phono input and, when there isn't a signal (stylus is lifted), it is silent but as soon as the needle drops, there is this electric buzzing coming through the speakers. From that point, I did a few checks on other inputs and it wouldn't even power on the cd input or the av input, something that may not have made sense due to my lack of experience. I did a series of test & checks and I ended up with a muddy sound, not like what I heard at the gentlemans home. Yes, I understand that my system isn't to par with the system I demoed the tt on but I don't think that it has to do with that. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm wondering if it's the receiver, and if so, can I fix this or is it a deficciency in the model I have? If not, what should I be looking for in a used receiver on a budget? Could it be the wiring, or phono inputs on the receiver? And lastly, the tt seems quite delicate, inside (he took it appart for me at his home), could it have gotten damaged on the car ride home? It was as secure as it could be, being placed on the passenger seat floor on layers of moving blankets.

I heard from this gentleman that this forum is full on helpful knowledgeable people and that he has only good experiences to talk of, please help me sort this out and educate me for the future. Thank you.

Hi, and welcome.

You've come to the right place. There are tons of people on here who are very knowledgeable in all sorts of audio and non-related audio stuff, and most I've encountered are more than willing to share their knowledge. Excellent group of guys.

As far as your problem though, I'm afraid I don't have an idea. On my table, I get a hum when there's no cartridge connected, but I've never heard of a hum only when the stylus is down.

Offhand, it might be possible that there's a flakey connection with the cartridge or in the wiring that the travel of the tonearm causes a ground loop. I suppose there could be a loading problem...but that would hum all the time.

But have no fear, if someone hasn't responded in the time I've been typing this, someone will soon.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Dewdude, I'm pretty positive the cartridge is fine, it was recently replaced, besides I'm getting a lot of help from the turntables section. Thanks, again.

Welcome to AK. I'll bet it's the Luxman not liking the Beo. Besides the selector switch in the front, isn't there a toggle switch on the back of the Lux for Aux/phono?

Welcome aboard! Check to see if your TT has a ground wire and if it does connect it to the back of the Luxman.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Dewdude, I'm pretty positive the cartridge is fine, it was recently replaced, besides I'm getting a lot of help from the turntables section. Thanks, again.

Well..I never said the cartridge was bad.

The thing that gets me is you said it only has a hum when its down on the record, if it was a ground wire, it would hum all the time. A bad cartridge won't actually cause hum, I've seen them fail and cause low output.

I suppose its possible there's a relay or something that disables output from the cartridge when it's not playing, which would go against the way most tables I've encountered work, usually the cartridge is wired directly to the outputs.

What I was suggesting was maybe somewhere inside the tonearm a wire decided to give up and maybe its not making a solid connection when its lowered to the play position. Its unlikely, but it was the first thing I think of since I see wires break inside the insukatikn all the time.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

it turned out to be the ground, from what i've heard there is something that disables the cartridge when lifted. Although, I'm concerned that it's a bit noisier than I've heard it. There are so many factors to consider, I want to clean everything and start tracking it down. For all I know, that's natural for that TT; my ears are new to it. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom