Your Attraction To Photography?

pioneervato

Lunatic Member
I have seen a lot of excellent photographs posted in this forum and I am curious to know what your personal experience/attraction is to photography and what got you started?

Here is how it happened for me: (rather longish, sorry)

I have always had an interest in art and during my high school years I took as many art classes as my schedule would allow. But, interestingly enough, photography was not one of them. Photography was not offered through the art department but, instead, was offered through the English department as part of the newspaper and yearbook staff offerings and all the staff positions were already locked up.

I then focused (pun) my attention on ceramics and it was at this point during my senior year in high school that I decided to seek a career in teaching art and ceramics would be my area of specialty. It was something that I enjoyed doing very much (and still do) and I had always been told to look for a career that allowed me to do what I enjoyed and so teaching art became an instant "no-brainer".

And so it was during my first year of community college (1974) that I enrolled in a beginning photo class as one of my fine art choices. However, there was one small problem - I did not own a 35mm camera and practically new nothing about them. All I knew was that they were expensive but I had worked all summer and saved most of my money to help pay for whatever expenses I would incur. Tuition at the community college was cheap enough at $72 per semester and books were a helluva lot cheaper than they are now.

The first weekend after school started I drove to Mesa and stopped by a K-Mart store to check out what they had. The camera manager pulled from the display case a brand new Minolta SRT-101 SLR with a Rokkor-X 50mm f1.4 lens. I was very excited about getting a 35mm camera and at 17 years old it was to become a life-changing event for me.

The camera manager was good enough to go through the functions of the camera but nothing made any sense to me. But the camera sure looked purdy!

After several minutes of one-on-one instruction in how to operate the camera I reached into my pocket and pulled out a metal film can that contained a roll of bulk loaded Plus-X film that my photo instructor at the college had dispensed to every student in class. Bill, the K-Mart camera manager, took the film from me and showed me how to load the film into the camera, set the film speed by adjusting the ASA dial of the camera, and how to set the exposure using the camera's built in exposure meter. ASA numbers, f-numbers, shutter speed numbers? What the.... none of this technical photo jargon made any sense to me but the Minolta camera sure looked purdy! Not only was it purdy but it was heavy which, to me, meant it was built well. :D

The camera manager then took the camera from my hands and took a few pictures of me as a demonstration on how to hold the camera and advance the film. (Somewhere I have the negatives from that very first roll of Kodak Plus-X film that I developed back in 1974).

The camera "kit" was priced at $259 which consisted of the SRT-101 body, f1.4 lens, PX-13 battery, and the original Minolta case. The box, as I recall, was a long box wherein contained individual boxes housing the camera body, lens, and case. A few years later most camera kits were broken up to be purchased as separate items.

I no longer have my original and beloved Minolta but I do have another that I acquired a few years ago and every time I dig it out it takes me back to my 1974 experience at age 17. The "magic" I felt when I developed my first black and white photograph under the soft glow of the darkroom safelight hooked me. It is an experience I still cherish to this day and it is that experience that I try to convey to my students so many years later. Those of you who have experienced printing in a traditional darkroom know what I am referring to. The experience of taking the photograph and producing the image through the "magic" of the darkroom still excites me to this day. This new discovery became cemented in me when, as part of a field trip in 1974, our class took a trip to the University of Arizona to view an Edward Weston exhibit. Edward Weston's beautiful 8x10 contact prints mesmerized me. The "Pepper", the "Nude", and the rest of his prints on exhibit made a lasting impression on me. An experience I hope to remember for a long time to come.

Well, as some you know, I did fulfill my dream of teaching art but it was photography that gave me a new sense of purpose. I have been teaching photography now for 30 years and in about 6 weeks I will begin year 31. Man oh man, does time fly.

Currently, I shoot primarily Nikon for 35mm format, Bronica in MF, and Wista for LF. I still enjoy the darkroom experience, smells and all. Something I cannot experience from the digital process of making prints even though I do shoot with my Nikon D200 and print with Epson printers.

When shooting film my choice is Kodak T-Max 100 for all of my formats but on occasion do shoot Fujichrome and Ilford. My current printing paper of choice is Oriental FB VC, glossy, which I get from Freestyle Photo. My enlarger of choice is the Beseler 45 MX with an Oriental variable contrast cold light head.

PS: When I transferred to Arizona State University in 1976 I was hired and worked at the same K-Mart store where I bought my SRT-101. Bill, the camera manager, (from whom I bought the camera in 1974) still remembered me and we worked together for 2 years until he left retail to pursue other interests.

OK, now it's your turn.

Being a journalist, I got sick and tired of waiting for the photographer to show up to do his thing (well, not all off course...). I figured I could do some basic photography myself, so bought a good camera, did some courses and especially did a lot of practice. Portraits are my weak point: although technically OK, there's always something missing which a good photographer can capture. So I stick to landscapes, buildings, plants etc. which works out fine for me.

I like fine optics and the look and feel of a well-designed and crafted camera body (like, say, a Leica or a Rolleiflex or even a vintage Nikon).

I have a terrible eye for composition, so I enjoy photography now vicariously through our son's work (as many of you know). www.icouldbeahero.blogspot.com

Nice story there pioneervato! I have always been artistically inclined since I was little. Been in music all thru school, took art all thru school. Funny thing is, I never was interested that much in photography until my 1st son was born. I wanted something better than a P&S camera for capturing images of my son. So, I went and bought a Pentax K 1000 and a couple of lenses. Didn't take me long to figure out how to use it and to start getting some nice images.
I have never taken any photography course or lessons. But I have read a lot of books and found info online to help me out. As you can see see from some of the pics I have posted here, I'm into nature Photograpy more that anything else. Don't care that much about shooting people, but will when a good situtaion comes up that I think will make an interesting image. I do also like shooting scenes in everyday life. I like to wander around town and see if I can find some things that I think will be make interesting images.
I do love digital cameras. I like that I can get instant pics of what I am shooting and can alter the shooting method as needed. It also is good for experimentation as there is no film wasted. The possibilities with digital are just about endless and I think that's one reason it apeals so much to me.
I'm the kind of person, that if everyone is doing things a certain way, I want to try and do it differently. Digital photography gives me the chance to try and do those things differently, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. But to me that's the fun of it, learning new techniques and ways of doing things. :yes:

I first took a summer school basic photography course when I was in eighth grade. We learned how cameras worked, and even developed our own b&w film and prints. I found that I absorbed the mechanics of cameras, lenses, film, paper and light very easily, and I found cameras to be work-of-art machines. Through high school I shot a lot of film experimentally... so much so that I caught the eye of my teachers and was made head of photography for my senior yearbook (1977).

The bad part is that while I easily got the mechanics of photography, I had and still have no real artistic qualities that others seem to be able to express. I'm a technician, not an artist. When I realized that, I pretty much have stuck with the occasional snapshot since then.

Tom

Timing...these are some of my favorites ( not by me naturally )
gored.jpg

Kategorie_Nature_David_Maitland_Who.jpg

ejection.jpg

untitled.jpg

snaaake.jpg

lightning.jpg

nehe20deer20river20forest20fire20pi.jpg

.....I realized when my first kid was born, I didn't have any knowledge about cameras and needed to....I went to McCain Mall here, and met a guy who would catch me up quick....Nolan was the salesman at a cameras section on afternoon shift for a long time....made J C Penny's a lot of money from what I saw every time I'd go back in....bought a camera from him, and went in at least once a week for awhile for filters galore, a tripod, and a flash for the Yashica TL-Electro....I really thought I was "somebody" carrying that camera, little did I know....when I'd go back in, Nolan would always break away from what he was doing and come help me....he helped me see and understand the 1 to 1 ratio between f-stops and speeds in certain applications, which turns you loose to do exposure compensations....he also taught me about cheating the asa to get a reading on a night shot when, what filled the viewfinder had no points of light at all, and was daaaark.....

.....I remember exposures of 10 minutes plus....with Kodak VPS film, the print would look like a day shot with stars showing....love this game, have from day one....one of my early batches of prints contained shots of a coke machine and two garbage cans sitting at a fence, I got made fun of....hey, was only learnin' to shoot verticals :).....

Last edited:
My 1970's roommate at the Univ. of Maryland was an avid amateur photographer.
I was always amazed at what he could do with even the most simple of scenes?
His black & white photography was almost surreal.....and started me on my own modest journey.........................................

Steve

spent all of high school drawing, took every art class I could.

did fine arts in college. did sculpting, printing, water color, acrylics, sketching, etc.

got photoshop 4 on my first PC, and learned that mighty fast.

picked up a point n shoot digicam about 8 years ago, and kept upgrading cameras every year as I outgrew their capabilities.

currently on a canon xsi.

I have always been creative in some way or another, I have always been very hands on.

photography was a logical step for me.

spent all of high school drawing, took every art class I could.

did fine arts in college. did sculpting, printing, water color, acrylics, sketching, etc.

got photoshop 4 on my first PC, and learned that mighty fast.

picked up a point n shoot digicam about 8 years ago, and kept upgrading cameras every year as I outgrew their capabilities.

currently on a canon xsi.

I have always been creative in some way or another, I have always been very hands on.

photography was a logical step for me.

I Agree. I too have been artistically inclined in art and music. I believe photography is another way for us to express ourselves. Having a good eye as to what makes an image interesting is a very important part of being a good photographer IMO.

I loved art but, can not draw a straight line with a ruler. I was a nerd in HS and could not attract a lady to save my life. Was a member of the Physics Club and it had the dark room. I finally put them all together and found that the ladies were attracted to those who were studious who could make them look like models on film and they were willing to go into the dark room to see what developed.

Okay, so that is a dream. I got into it the 1st time my folks let me, their 5 year old or so kid, touch their Argus Six-twenty tlr with its almost impossible to see through finder and I saw the results of my venture. I was hooked.

As to the HS dream, never got a girl in the dark room, was not a nerd and had a steady girlfriend. But, did find out the advantages of Polaroid :).

I have something like 2 dozen Polaroid cameras including a 180 and 195 now sitting in a box. I hope the European guys are successful. I have the lot b/c when I taught photography, I had the students retire their cameras and concentrate on light and composition. As they all had pretty much the same camera to work with, it was their skills that they honed and developed and none could allege that an Exakta with Schneider glass or a Leica or that Nikon made the difference in the result. Not surprisingly, many of my students after the class sought out a 180 or 195 as a primary camera as well as their pack film auto 4xx series for everyday shooters.

Seeing my first Ansel Adams in Santa Fe, New Mexico I fell in love with B/W and said "I want to do that!". I'm still a student, always will be. I won't part with my first real camera, Nikon N65 and still have the first camera I ever owned, a brownie... along with some of the pictures I took with it on a field trip in the 5th grade in Florida. I've moved into the digital age but still snap a few shots off on the slr just for the memories... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I first got into photography in Junior College I was the Yearbook/paper Photographer.
I majored in partying and minored in girls (young and stupid). I flunked out and got oou in the real world. I saw an add in Popular Photography for The Art Institute of Atlanta. I applied and was accepted. I already had working experience in B&W darkroom work from Junior College. I graduated in September 1990. I found out really fast I was not God's gift to cameras by photographers who have been in business longer than I have been on the earth. I worked for a few photographers before I landed my dream job and have loved it ever since.

Harry

Well i started shooting a lot in highschool when i get a hold of what amounted to a point and shoot SLR. I wasn't sure what i really wanted to do in college so i ended up taking photography full time there. I was a great experience over all. I learned to shoot on 4x5 large format which is great because it really makes it slow down and think about what you're doing. Then i slowly moved along to digital. I do small jobs where and there today but still have a day job to pay the bills for now. Hoping one day to work in a digital lab or go fully pro.

great to read all the stories

Here I Am On That Very Day

The camera manager then took the camera from my hands and took a few pictures of me as a demonstration on how to hold the camera and advance the film. (Somewhere I have the negatives from that very first roll of Kodak Plus-X film that I developed back in 1974).

:D

I could not find the negative but here is one of the photo's the camera manager at K-Mart took of me as he was demonstrating my new Minolta SRT-101 to me.

Attachments

• Buying my 1st camera.jpg
    Buying my 1st camera.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom