Your Crazy Hoardings: What's A Fellow To Do With All This Tape?

Anyway, you got yourself a decent stash there Brax. Enough to keep you going for awhile anyway, although your collection is definitely more diverse than mine.

Thanks. I bought the majority off Ebay at Ebay prices. I'd hate to know what I actually spent on all those tapes. As you can see I like variety. It's always fun to choose which tape you are going to use next with a perticular recording. But that said I do prefer Maxell over anything else. Second runners up would be TDK, Denon, and Sony.

I thought you got a hold of a Revox A77. That's a 10" capable machine. I know that you were having some issues with it but had gotten it fixed. Did you get rid of it or am I thinking of someone else? Now that I think about it, it must've been someone else because I put together a real nice package of tapes, reels, splicing block, leader, and splicing tape for that guy. And I don't think I shipped them off to Canada. And no, it wasn't free. He did pay me for it all. But at cost. I made zero profit on it.

No it was someone else. I will be looking for a 4 track high speed version of the B77. It was the deck I used in college and I've heard good things about them. I don't know when if ever I'll be getting one (depends on funds), but if I do- I'll email you about getting some tapes. I also might want a similar kit, since I have zero stuff here for reel to reel.

I seem to have a reciever OCD. I have many more in each room of the house and my garage. Also turntable, amps, Speakers, R2R's and thousands of records, 45's and LP's.

Bang & Olufsen Beo Master 1900
Kenwood KR-5400
Marantz 2220
Marantz 2220B
Marantz 2230B
Marantz 2238
Marantz SR-1000
MCS 3212
Nikko STA-4010
Pioneer SX-1050
Pioneer SX-1500TD
Pioneer SX-3700
Pioneer SX-425
Pioneer SX-535
Pioneer SX-535
Pioneer SX-636
Pioneer SX-780
Pioneer SX-828
Realistic - STA850
Sansui 210
Sansui 5000A
Sansui 5000X
Sansui 5050
Sansui 661
Sansui 9090DB
Sherwood S-7100A
Sony STR-7045
Yamaha CR-420

Last edited:
I was recently suprised to find that my "couple here, couple there" approach to picking up blanks at the thrifts has resulted in enough tapes to fill two of those 100-tape frames. I have used three so far. At that rate I have about a 60-year supply on hand. Stashed about 20 7" RTR tapes away too but I haven't used any of them yet.

Hi Des Lab,
I am in awe of your foresight :)
um, can i please, please, please, please, please buy some 10 1/2" XLI's off you ?
he he... I am yet to try one new 10" on my, new to me, freshly repaired and serviced (by me, yay...) Teac X-2000.. I'll write you a tune..
Cheers,
Mimmo

Gosh. And I only got about 6 10 inch reels and 60 7 inchers. To make it more interesting, my Teac r2r isn't working.

Anyone know someone they would trust to fix a r2r? Basically, the tape sags during playback. Right capistan/pinch roller isn't keeping tension.

Check the posts here...

Gosh. And I only got about 6 10 inch reels and 60
7 inchers. To make it more interesting, my Teac r2r isn't working.

Anyone know someone they would trust to fix a r2r? Basically, the tape sags during playback. Right capistan/pinch roller isn't keeping tension.

Sounds like the drive belt has seen better days. The pinch roller is an easy fix. Check on AK as there is a wealth of info on how to fix TEACs. Too bad you are not in the southeast NY area. I'd give you free overhaul. Or at the least could show you how to fix it. All for the love of the hobby.

Eric:music:

No Des is Mr. Maxell. He's always been Mr. Maxell. Yes I too would like to buy some 10 inch XL-I tapes when the time comes. It all depends on what happens to me next year and a possible move or not.

You guys definitely have way too much 10 1/2" tape! I, on the other hand, have a Revox 10 1/2" reel 2 track deck (C270) and no tape to use on it. Feel free to send me any surplus!

I have repeatedly offered up some free tapes via my "name those tunes" contests. Only once did someone win and claim a prize. And that was cassette tapes.

Due to low participation (and for that matter, people who even open those topics), I have decided to place an indefinite hiatus on those contests. They just take too damn long and too much effort when on a good day, maybe 30 people will view it and maybe 8 people will participate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
DL-And Maxell reels are going for $80+ on the bay right now

It's marketing man!

I've enjoyed your contests. But each time I've tried I can only come up with 7 - 9 out of 10 and I think I'm pretty good with songs. It's frustrating...you got to have a higher success rate for people to keep playing.

My teeny stash of tapes will last me a life time. I'm playing just for fun.

btw...very impressive tape stash!

Well maybe if this subject and the 'demand' keeps up and I get into a generous mood, I'll do a "Holiday" contest for some free tapes sometime soon.
If I do, I'll try my best to make sure someone wins. Of course I've done that before and that hasn't been the case. So again...we'll see.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DL-But you gotta be ready. Ya snooze ya looze

I have tried at least 2 of the contests but couldn't identify more than 1 or 2 songs. I thought it was just me, but OnePixel has alot more varied taste than I do, and if he couldn't win, it supports my thinking that those songs are just waaaay out of the mainstream.
I'll tell you what. How about a contest where we try to stump you? Set some ground rules and we can upload files to Youtube or wherever. The winner gets a tape.

Pikers and amateurs.

I have 132 receivers, over 50 pairs of speakers, probably 30 turntables, 30 or so cassette decks, etc...and an almost full 10x10 storage area.

My problem's bigger than your problem! :D

how about, let it go, dont pay storage bill, tell me when auction is and ill come get a receiver! must be some problem ya got..

I seem to have a reciever OCD. I have many more in each room of the house and my garage. Also turntable, amps, Speakers, R2R's and thousands of records, 45's and LP's.

Bang & Olufsen Beo Master 1900
Kenwood KR-5400
Marantz 2220
Marantz 2220B
Marantz 2230B
Marantz 2238
Marantz SR-1000
MCS 3212
Nikko STA-4010
Pioneer SX-1050
Pioneer SX-1500TD
Pioneer SX-3700
Pioneer SX-425
Pioneer SX-535
Pioneer SX-535
Pioneer SX-636
Pioneer SX-780
Pioneer SX-828
Realistic - STA850
Sansui 210
Sansui 5000A
Sansui 5000X
Sansui 5050
Sansui 661
Sansui 9090DB
Sherwood S-7100A
Sony STR-7045
Yamaha CR-420

I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to relieve you of some of that excess stock in your garage :D.

I'll tell you what. How about a contest where we try to stump you? Set some ground rules and we can upload files to Youtube or wherever. The winner gets a tape.

Been there done that. Des didn't get all my songs either, so its mutual.

Back
Top Bottom