Your Crazy Hoardings: What's A Fellow To Do With All This Tape?

Well I don't think I'll concede to THAT kind of contest giveaway. But ok. I'll let you goad me into setting up a holiday contest. Date and time still to be determined, but will be sometime in the next few weeks. I already have about three of the songs picked out. Haven't decided on the rest yet, but I can tell you this: In an effort to raise the odds of having a winner, I will make the songs only of one genre: Classic Rock.

So break out your cans of Billy beer, crank up the ol KR-9600, fire up the Dual turntable or Teac A-3300SX and start listening to some of the powerhouses from the Ford and Carter years. Because that's what all of the songs will be.

Maybe that's what's been the 'killer' of the past: mixing up several styles into one contest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DL-54 year old trapped in a 34 year old body (is that such a bad thing?)

you are a sick sick man.............and i applaude you! there may come a day when yu can't get that stuff your hoarding.............you can always get another wife!

I 'suffer' from cassettehoarditis as much as I do from reel to reel tapes. Take a look at my cassette tape pile and tell me that it isn't absolutely insane. First four pictures show all of my Maxell and Denon cassettes and the last one shows the futility of it all stuffed onto some shelves.

DL-Why are the people on TV laughing at me?

XLI_Cass_MegaLot.JPG

MaxPackHigh.JPG

MaxMetalAug2007.JPG

DenonCassettes.JPG

CassetteTapeStash.JPG

I would have to say that is quite impressive. I am drooling over that stash right now. The amazing thing is I spotted some Maxell UD/XL II tapes in there. Didn't they stop making those around 1982? All over those, from what I remember were quite expensive in their day. Quite an investment. Who knows, they may be collectible some day, especially unopened.

And now Des is trying to decide what tapes and/or reels to use in the upcoming Holiday giveaway contest. I have all of the songs picked out. Just need to finish filming, upload, and set a date.

DL-Maybe if the would-be participants voice their picks now I could decide

Just found this thread and decided to post my hoard of tape.

2wbvko5.jpg

All sealed NOS.

Count:
  • TDK
    • 67 x MA110
    • 81 x MA90
  • Maxell
    • 388 x XLII90
  • Fuji
    • 1 x FRMetal90

j

And now Des is trying to decide what tapes and/or reels to use in the upcoming Holiday giveaway contest. I have all of the songs picked out. Just need to finish filming, upload, and set a date.

DL-Maybe if the would-be participants voice their picks now I could decide

Im fairly new here, And i ****in loved your contest. I must have listened to that cat stevens song 50 times. But to no avail somebody beat me out when i was sure i was going to win. That song for me was hard to get. If that hadnt of been in the list i would have won. I really wanted one of the 10" maxelle reels.

Keep up the good work Des.

Plus i really like this thread.

Wow J,

You may actually give Des a run for his money with that collection. You could make a killing off Ebay with all those metal tapes.

Wow J,

You may actually give Des a run for his money with that collection. You could make a killing off Ebay with all those metal tapes.

Yep, you sure could and I don't know why you don't. Go ahead and flip them then use the proceeds to treat yourself to something that may be more satisfying than a pile of unused tapes.

FWIW, that's what I'm doing with a bunch of my stuff right now. If I'm not using it, or don't anticipate doing so in the foreseeable future, it's going up for sale to someone who can.

I just sold off a bunch of tapes and LPs and got myself a nice shiny iPod and some cords so I can use it in the garage and car. Seems like a good deal to me :yes:

I,ve picked up a couple of Maxell 35-90 UDs unused of the bay at reasonable prices in the last 2 days,,guess every body is hot for 35-180s still trying to find another TEAC 10.5 reel at a decent price so I have a pair

Man. After looking at some of these collections, some of you give the impression of being downright twitchy, LOL!:D Kinda like an old lady with 17 cats.

Wow J,

I'm waiting for chrome tapes to be disco'd. Just think, if the TDK MA's are selling for $15-20 now, just think what will happen if and when Type II's are discontinued???

In reality, I bought the MA's for myself -though my arm could be twisted if they ever hit $50 each like some of the better Maxell's are now. I think that might be very possible at that point that Type II tapes are discontinued. If they ever hit $10-15 per tape (more than likely, I think), that's when I'll sell a good portion of the XLII's and also when I suspect the MA's will increase in value.

We'll see. The problem is, that I could sell them, but then I wouldn't have them anymore. That poses a problem when I originally purchased them for personal use. Either that, or I'm just plain sick.

j

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66330&d=1193542433Most of the above is from Ebay, so I paid more then store prices for all that.

What would you do if I told you that none of the tapes in that pic cost me more than $1 a tape?

And what would you do if I told you that I picked up those 6 boxes of 5 ~ XLII90 10 packs for $12.50 per box -as in $12.50 per box of 50?

Though I doubt I'll ever find the $.25 per tape price again, I'll probably keep buying a 50 count box every so often until they're gone.

j

Man. After looking at some of these collections, some of you give the impression of being downright twitchy, LOL!:D Kinda like an old lady with 17 cats.

I only have two cats (though you can see 3 of my favorite dogs in some of those pics on my pic).

But I do have 15 cassette decks and 9 turntables.:D

j

Back
Top Bottom