Your fav detective on either screens?

Great! What mentions to follow up on.

Without these Brit suggestions, I'd never have had these names to work with.

To date, there has been no real mention of Brit Bond...the James one that is.

Maybe most don't regard him as detective material?

Curious.

Q

Bosch. He navigated through the pure scum of the earth, both on the streets of LA and Vegas as well as some of his fellow detectives, many who were not much better, yet he always maintained some integrity in a way even while binding a few rules. He was a Jazz head and had an interesting stereo that I never could really identify. His wife was a real looker too.. Of course it canceled after 2 years. Thanks amazon! :rant:

Bosch has been renewed for seasons 3 AND 4 by Amazon!

Great! What mentions to follow up on.
Without these Brit suggestions, I'd never have had these names to work with.
To date, there has been no real mention of Brit Bond...the James one that is.
Maybe most don't regard him as detective material?
Curious.
Q

I think he falls into a different genre, the spy, or secret agent.
Sort of related, in that they do detective work, but for their federal governments, not the general public or local police detective.

If you did include James, you need to include the men from UNCLE, Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin.
Of course someone did mention Emma and Mr. Steed, who fall into that genre.
Then there is the 'Danger Man' John Drake. You very likely know the song 'Secret Agent Man'.
Then you need to throw in Kelly Robinson, and Alexander Scott.

I think he falls into a different genre, the spy, or secret agent.
Sort of related, in that they do detective work, but for their federal governments, not the general public or local police detective.

If you did include James, you need to include the men from UNCLE, Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin.
Of course someone did mention Emma and Mr. Steed, who fall into that genre.
Then there is the 'Danger Man' John Drake. You very likely know the song 'Secret Agent Man'.
Then you need to throw in Kelly Robinson, and Alexander Scott.

Thanks for the clarification of genre description.

Some how I DO have difficulty seeing Roger Moore as a "gumshoe type...even a Bond-type.:)

Q

I've been sort of binge watching Luther on Netflix.

Detective Chief Inspector John Luther is played by Idris Elba.

Great show, and like just about everything BBC, it's way better that American TV shows.

I used to like Hunter - anyone remember that one ? Ex football pro, Fred someone, I think was the lead in it

As a Brit though, I am of course spoiled for choice when it comes to top class detectives. My faves would be the Prime Suspect series with Dame Helen Mirren in the lead role and A Touch Of Frost with the totally brilliant Sir David Jason in the lead role as Detective Inspector William 'Jack' Frost.

I will also add an honourable mention for a series I have been watching here in NZ called 'Sensing Murder'. I've always been a total sceptic of any spiritual world programs BUT - if this show is what they say it is, filmed with the psychic in isolation with no prior knowledge of the crime and only a photo or personal effects of the deceased to work with, then I'm seriously beginning to think there may be something in it after all.......
Fred Dryer who played for the L.A. Rams. I remember hearing him on a radio interview where he was the first player to have a no cut clause in his contract and a guy in personal who disliked him because Dryer addressed him as Tubby told him to clean out his locker because he was cut. Without tipping his hand Dryer cleaned out his locker and went to Hawaii for a few days. When the Rams figured out they violated his contract they tried locating him and when he returned from Hawaii he returned to camp and was greeted with apologies and when he ran into Tubby he told him " You really stepped in it Tubby" Classic...

Dick Powell as Philip Marlowe in "Murder, My Sweet".

Great dialog....

Lindsay Marriot: I'm afraid I don't like your manner.
Marlowe: Yeah, I've had complaints but it keeps getting worse.
Marlowe: I caught the blackjack right behind my ear. A black pool opened up at my feet. I dived in. It had no bottom.
Marlowe: Skip the water. Make that one with scotch. It'll save time.

There's this rather new det TV series that features a thin Brit who wears this bacelet that he can't take off, which brings him incredible luck. The only way it comes off is he has to die. and now he's run into a femme fatalle who wears the same. Sorry can't think of the name of it right now.

At the start of watching it, it was kinda cool, but there seems to be a sameness in the plot, and you just know that he's gonna come out of top, wearing that damned piece of jewelry.

For the most part the UK produces solid stuff, but this one is beginning to wear thin!:(

Update: "Stan Lee's Lucky Man" is the TV's series title.

Q

Last edited:
I was just gonna type in the thin man series of movies. I see I was beat to the punch. He could solve a crime drunk. And that damn Asta.

Giving major props to Detective Sam Tyler & the entire 125th Precinct crew from short-lived U.S. version of "Life On Mars". Haven't seen U.K. version yet, but it captured 70's-era Nueva Yorka quite realistically. Too bad we never got to see how good a detective Annie "No Nuts" Norris would be. Coulda been as bad ass as Anne Francis' "Honey West" (;{) David Janssen's "Harry O" was a delight, also. Was a template for what "Rockford" evolved into. Must be rough when you have Farrah Fawcett & Loni Anderson as beach neighbours (;{) And, for someone who was reviled for four years, Lt. Philip Gerard earned fans' respect when he helped exonerate "The Fugitive" in the finale. Gerard rarely overlooked clues, & repaid Dr. Richard Kimble for saving his life multiple times.

Rockford and Magnum good mix of sleuthing and watching them go thru all the normal everyday stuff in their personal lives, made the shows believable and not out of touch to the average Jo. I think we watched them with the attitude "what's going on with these guys today".

No love for Cagney and Lacy? I thought they did a good job

Looks to me like the Sherlock Series is on top after reading all the Posts

Rockford and Magnum good mix of sleuthing and watching them go thru all the normal everyday stuff in their personal lives, made the shows believable and not out of touch to the average Jo. I think we watched them with the attitude "what's going on with these guys today".

No love for Cagney and Lacy? I thought they did a good job

Looks to me like the Sherlock Series is on top after reading all the Posts
Oddly enough I was just on another forum less than a minute ago talking about The Rockford Files. Mill Creek is putting the series on blu-ray; I was able to catch it streaming on Netflix before they yanked it, and the HD transfers are top notch!

Back
Top Bottom