Your Favorite 8 inch 2-Way Speakers

I'm still partial to the EPI 100 . . .

Do you remember the old EPI's that looked like a Bose 901 clone, except that it was turned around, so the drivers pointed at you, instead of into the wall? They blew the 901's into the weeds. (Not that that was difficult.) :D

You must really like them if you take them camping...:)

Not a bad Idea. I would probably opt for something like this.
MQHmsvt.jpg

They are AR,sort of. Anyway I mostly camp out at the Holiday Inn Express nowadays. Free WiFi you know.

was hoping that some version of the AR-18 would show up in this thread, and I'll nominate the earlier AR-6 to the list. This speaker has essentially the same tweeter as the 18 (but I'd call it an 1-1/4" cone, not 2-1/2").

Must of had AR4x's on my mind.

Anyone that swaps out speakers all the time like I do should really appreciate a good sounding 8 in.two way. So much easier to move than those 10 in. and 12 in three ways.

Last edited:
My main speakers are DIY Eton 8.1s that someone else built. They wouldn't like to crank out the full 250 Crown watts to which they are connected but other than that, they are fantastic speakers.

Later gen Snell Type Es are also pretty fantastic at their original price point. I'm not remotely in the market but I'd like to hear what Audio Note has done, working with that general design.

My favorites in this general class of two-ways are Paul Carmody's Classix II's, built from a kit. The woofers are only 6.5", not 8", but they play relatively flat from 35 - 20,000 Hz. Plenty of low-end response. I like them better than the few pairs of EPI 100's that I've had.

index.php

I really haven't owned many 8" 2-ways, but I'll also toss my hat in for the ADS L520. I had a pair for about a year and was very impressed by their overall sound and the tight bass from those little guys. I ran them in my bedroom system until they were replaced by a much large pair of 8" 3-ways (KEF 104/2).

The Signet sl280, amazing speaker and can handle the power of my pioneer sx1050 with ease.

I have a few entries in this field but for just plain listening for hours to music not equipment, I find my Morduant Short Carnival III's to be very enjoyable. Typical British sound. They make my Boston A-60's sound almost harsh by comparison. There are many speakers in this category and I don't think you could ever get to hear them all. I recall being impressed by Mission's back in the day. Couldn't afford them then, wouldn't turn any down now. However, I've found that what impresses you first sometimes fatigues you later.

I had some OHM 2-ways with an 8", can't remember the model, but they sounded sublime. Wish i still had em, they're one set i search for. Great low end.

I love the Walsh 3s I stumbled upon. And yes they are sublime. I was surprised how well they compare to my Maggies and Quad ESL-63s.

NHT 2.5's are an impressive speaker with an eight inch woofer. I wish I still had mine. Only issue was not very efficient, really opened up with 100 watt plus amplifiers.

Human 81, which is actually the modernized EPI 100

Got a pair on the way. I've been told it takes several months to get a pair but I got lucky and he posted a new pair ready to ship on EBay. It was an impulsive buy on my part, lol.

Back
Top Bottom