Your Favorite Desktop Amp w/DAC

rcspkramp

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi Folks,

Doing a survey. What is you favorite desktop amp with usb dac onboard.
What cha got?

Peachtree's iNova (not your grandpa's Nova - better DAC and more powerful amp) is getting big raps for it's ability to drive big Vandersteen and Magnepan (ok - ANY Magnepan looks 'big' to many amps) speakers. I can only go on what I've read, but I plan to audition one on my Magical Mystery Tour. The W4S mINT also seems to have surprised many with the power on tap from such a small chassis - I think both are based on ICEPower modules, but implementation is everything.

What is this sorcery? That undercuts the preamp with similar feature-set that I was going to order this upcoming year by $130. How is it?

I'm not asking terribly much of it, just computer sound, YouTube, some mp3s, but I like it. I posted a short review. Oh, and the DAC seems to be the best part. MUCH better than my computer soundcard, which is actually just an integrated chipset on the motherboard. The MP uses better chips, I guess.

All in all, more than I could have asked for, for much less than list. (I got it lightly used)

I use a Nufore Icon 2 and a pair of John Blue JB3s as my desktop setup. My first introduction into computer audio. The Nuforce is 15Wx2 with a 24/96 DAC. It makes a nice organic pairing with the JB3s that I can listen to all day without fatigue.

My setup is a bit different but I'll throw it out there. Apogee Duet II as DAC/preamp straight into powered monitors. With the limitations of space on a desk, and my not liking of clutter, active loudspeakers make a lot of sense to me, at least in a desktop system. The Apogee is also a standalone headphone amp and other things.

Apogee Duet, but mine is/was the original firewire 400 one. This is a gorgeous DAC- understated and transparent. I think it is better, much better than the Lavry DA11 which cost almost 3 times as much. It sounds great with the Audio Technica ESW-9 the lower end HP with wooden cups, I reckon this HP sounds crap with everything else I used it with- too much bass. I'd still be using with a pair of Adam A5 powered monitors if I hadn't tripped over a RCA lead and left a pin lodged in the socket- bummer.

I also have/had a great Marantz PM-75 from 1990 with the 15 or is it 14 bit Phillips TDA single crown chips. If you run digital files through it, it sounds the same as the identically chipped and fabulous CD-80.

Alas, my brother, niece and nephew are in possession of all my stuff now since I'll be saying adieu to this metropolis of narcissism and living out of a suitcase for the indefinite future.

Audio-gd Ref 10.32

RE10.4.JPG

I wish...

At a more reasonable 4 bills: the Audio-gd NFB11.321

NFB11.321.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom