Your favorite DIY trick

These are exactly what I was hoping for for this thread--simple, homespun tricks that are sometimes so obvious that they never occurred to us.
I fry naked. Makes me feel alive. :bigok:

On a more serious note. I like to combo CRC contact cleaner with Deoxit to save on the expensive stuff. Flush with copious quantities of the former, light shot of the latter. Works well and the CRC doesn't leave oily overspray.
I use the CRC, too--it seems to work much better than Deoxit. Is Deoxit more like a long-lasting barrier against future gunk?

When dismantling/reapiring gear, I often have a bunch of things on the go, waiting for parts etc. Screws need to stay with the gear and not get lost.

Ziplock bags are painful and often you need to group screws carefully to reinstall. Magnets are great for this.

Buy a packet of 25 magnets for a few dollars. When you take the top cover off, stick several magnets underneath to the steel and put all the screws you remove on the magnets, in groups or however you like to have them. They will never get lost and are always attached to the lid where you left them.

View attachment 1215444

View attachment 1215445

View attachment 1215446
Nice! Damned clever.

These are exactly what I was hoping for for this thread--simple, homespun tricks that are sometimes so obvious that they never occurred to us.

I use the CRC, too--it seems to work much better than Deoxit. Is Deoxit more like a long-lasting barrier against future gunk?

CRC is almost entirely solvents so it cleans well. Deoxit is better for removing oxidation and preventing/postponing future problems. :)

Ha,beat me to it Birch! It's gotten to the point where I'm gonna need suitcases for all of those bags,then a trunk for the suitcases...and so on....:confused:

I have a bit of a fascination with Digikey's packaging. Part of me wants to order something enormous just to see if it still comes in a baggie. I literally have one here that's 1 ft x 2.5 ft or so.

I have a bit of a fascination with Digikey's packaging. Part of me wants to order something enormous just to see if it still comes in a baggie. I literally have one here that's 1 ft x 2.5 ft or so.
Funny! Trying to hold the laugh in so my sleeping son doesn't wake up!

Ha ha! It's fun; nobody in my "real life" will talk about this stuff with me (and I can't say that I blame them). So that's why I come here from time to time.

I have a few IRL friends that are into my hobbies, Sadly I left most of them in California when I moved back east.

When swapping carts out we'll inevitably mount one up that has pins smaller than the previous one. Use a wooden tooth pick and slide it into the head shell lead clip and then use your favorite tweezers, pliers and squeeze against the tooth pick first.
Not so much of a chance of flattening the clip this way.

I remembered some more--

If there's a bunch of wires getting soldered together at a single connection (like all the tiny little wires that go to the light bulbs in a Scott 350R), I'll zip-tie them in a neat bunch so they stay put during soldering.

I put down tools everywhere while I work and the bench becomes increasingly chaotic, so I dug out an old mechanic's tool box, the one with two sliding drawers and a tall lid that opens up to a big space. Sprays, clean rags, heat gun, etc. go in the top; screwdrivers in one drawer; cutters, flush cutters, wire stripper, etc. in another drawer--you get the picture. I'm trying to put the tools back into the drawers as soon as I'm done using them so they stay in a known locale.

The other day I was working on a bunch of different amps and receivers. When one was "done", I hooked it up to my test speakers and let it play while I worked on the next unit--you'll think you fixed something, only to hear something weird after ten minutes of playing (after it's carefully hauled back up two flights of stairs and lovingly re-inserted (sorry! that's the only way I could think of saying that!) into your stereo rack.

I buy clean, all-cotton shop rags in giant packs (I forget how many but they're $20 at Home Depot). If they've just got Windex or Simple Green on them, I'll run them through the wash with my carpentry clothes, separate from the rest of the family's stuff. I love always having clean, white shop towels.

When I clean face plates, knobs, etc., I've had good luck simply washing them in warm, soapy water (dish soap like Dawn) with a clean, new sponge (soft side of sponge only). I rinse them under the tap, then dry immediately. Nothing else unless I'm really in an OCD cleaning mode. What's great about warm, soapy water is that it's very kind to delicate, aged lettering/glues/etc. on said face plates. Older stereos with real glass in the face plates are much easier to get clean and seem far more resistant to scratching.

If you want to meet the High Priest of receiver/amp detailing, go over to Curt Jane's site but do not attempt to do what he does--the guy is a like a heart surgeon. I think I ruined at least one amp trying to copy him.

I have a few IRL friends that are into my hobbies, Sadly I left most of them in California when I moved back east.
I lived in LA for four years, near my best friend. Moved back to MA about 12 years ago, which was good because I met my future wife here (wasn't going to meet Mrs. Right where I was in CA). Do you miss the weather? (Dumb question)

When swapping carts out we'll inevitably mount one up that has pins smaller than the previous one. Use a wooden tooth pick and slide it into the head shell lead clip and then use your favorite tweezers, pliers and squeeze against the tooth pick first.
Not so much of a chance of flattening the clip this way.
You are brave. I am a TP4 man and that is probably why I haven't destroyed any TTs lately.

You could try ordering one of those giant transformers you see on telephone poles; they sell those, right?

Back
Top Bottom