Your Favorite FM Station

KGON 92.3 FM Classic Rock since 1977 I'm listening to the same DJ's that I listened to in 1978-79 when I first started listening to them.

WXRT in Chicago also still has a lot of the same DJs they had in their glory days, 30 years ago. Terri Hemmert, Lin Brehmer, Frank E. Lee, Tom Marker, Marty Lennartz, Johnny Mars are all still there.

The radio stations that I listened to most in the 50's thru the 90's were the rock and roll stations in the NYC area.
WABC 770 AM and 98.7 FM
WINS 1010 AM
WCBS 101.1 FM
WMGM 1050 AM
And all the other NY Oldies and Rock stations not mentioned.
I was recently traveling to the NYC area and I tuned to WOGL 98.1 in Phil.
They were still playing oldies from the 60's to the 80's.
Then I tuned to WCBS FM 101.1 in NYC. What a bunch of garbage ! They sounded like their "Jack FM" days AWFUL ! ! Why can't these stations remain true to their listeners ? It's because of the "SO CALLED MARKETING EXPERTS" that think because they play the same old crap everyone else is playing that listeners will flock to their station making it number one.
I don't know about anyone else but I would like to have an oldies station around to listen to even though I am not in the " CURRENT TOP AGE MARKET" , I am 68 and I like my oldies.
Thats why I listen to 50's on 5 on XM radio. There are even the same DJ's from the oldies era on. Cousin Brucie and Norm N Nite both from NY radio.
Thanks for listening
Edward Lipman

SF North Bay, Kalifornia - in the old days it was always KFAT. I have the last days of KFAT on R2R tape including the midnight switch over. The folks there went away for a while, but there must have been enough synergy, that they could not resist doing it again. Now most of the record collection and many of the same folks operate KPIG out of the Aromas (near Watsonville). It covers most of the Monterey Bay Area. Great eccentric blues, folk, blue grass, humor, etc. They're on the web too. In SF, you can get them on low power AM at 1510 or there abouts :)

Since I can't get them directly, my second choice is KRSH up in Healdsburg in north Sonoma County. I can get them but it's tough. I have to run in mono to get any sort of fidelity. But it's a good mix of similar music without the ribald humor (no early Chuck Wagon & the Wheels :( ). Both are independently owned and operated with only local support and advertising.

if you like KPIG, have you checked out Joe Ed Dick's show Lubbock or Leave It on KFJC, on Wednesdays

WQXR,New York--after 3 years!!!

After three years (today) I have rigged up an antenna to get this station. Sadly FM has become a vast wasteland. I used to get them via the cable along with many NY City stations. Then Time Warner took FM off the cable. I put up a five element FM antenna to get their repeater in Dutchess County. Ulster County is on the west side of the Hudson River in southeast NY.

Everything was fine til I moved to Hurley NY from Stone Ridge,about ten miles to the north three years ago. My lady companion owns a house where I kept her TV antenna going for FM. Thirty feet in the air with a rotator. A radio mans dream. Right? Wrong. I get tons of FM. WMMR from Conn. is a NPR station that plays Classical music. At only 9000 watts I should not get it at all. That antenna works great on every channel except WQXR's repeater at 103.6. Yet my Zenith Transoceanic and Sangean portable radios get it.

For three years that how I listened to the morning show. In Feb I set up a small system in my sleeping quarters. Why not hook the Sangean to my free Pioneer SA730 amp? It has a stereo headphone jack. Worked ok.

Today was red letter day. I was going to put a KLH compact in my sleeping quarters using a Dual 1009SK instead of the Girrard. It would not fit:tears: Since the portables work with a telescopic ant why not try a set of rabbit ears. For 99 cents on Ebay I got a set. Brought up my Onkyo T-4 tuner and hooked it to the Pioneer and the rabbit ears. Its a great day. My sleeping quarters now get WQXR load and clear. Listen to them every morning! Spin vinyl at night!!

Sorry this is long. Story of my life. I always want to weakest station on the dial!!!

Eric:music:

Good Thread. it depends on where i am though. All stations have decent or strong signals and can be pulled in inside or in the car with no problem at all. i listed them in order by which i listen to the most.

Pottsville PA:
93.3 WMMR (Philadelphia)
105.7 The X (Harrisburg)

104.5 "Radio 1045" (Philadelphia)
102.9 WMGK (Philadelphia)
94.1 WYSP (Philadelphia)

Levittown PA:
93.3 WMMR (Philadelphia)
105.7 The Hawk (Jersey Shore)

104.5 "Radio 1045" (Philadelphia)
102.9 WMGK (Philadelphia)
94.1 WYSP (Philadelphia)

Bethlehem/Allentown PA:
107.1 The Bone (Lehigh Valley)
93.3 WMMR (Philadelphia)
95.1 WZZO (Lehigh Valley)

and i think its only fair to mention my Vero Beach Florida location as well

Vero Beach FL:
96.5 WHTQ (Orlando)
95.9 "Pirate 95.9" (Sebastian)
98.7 The Gater (West Palm Beach)
103.1 The Buzz (West Palm Beach)
99.7 WGNX (Vero Beach)

sorry if i got too much into detail here. ;)

Favorite FM Station

No contest - KFAT was THE best, ever, in my opinion. Since it's demise, KPIG was my favorite, but I hear it's going down the tubes, as well. WMVY is very good station on Cape Cod - you can get it on the internet, and there's a good station in Annapolis, I can't recall the call sign...

The FM tramsmitter in my basement. 5000+ files of FLAC and high quality MP3 from a 24/7 headless PC running Winamp with intelligent crossfade and audio leveling plugins. Always something on that I like and it sounds great!

Oh, sorry, answer the question. Probably Portland local WMPG college radio, otherwise for short sessions in the car maybe any of the generic rock stations when I tire of talk radio. Used to love KFJC when I lived on the west coast. KOME, KSJO and KFOG were the rock stations in my heyday there. KRQR @97.3 was "The Rocker" before it got snipped and became "Alice". ;)

Nice 8 year old thread resuscitation here eh? Hopefully FM will never die either.

Last edited:
WMMR in Phila used to be my go to when it came on line in the late 60s,,, way too much "modern stuff" for me for a quite a while now,,, WMGK is the local classic rock station, but the % of Beatles and commercials, along with their very limited playlist has me shunning FM for sometime now...
Probably tune in to Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving next time I listen!!!!

KJZZ - the Phoenix NPR affiliate. Blaise Lantana is very knowledgeable and has a wonderfully infectious enthusiasm for the music.

If you like Classical music, WBJC in Maryland is a good choice. There isn't the constant harangue of a PBS style station. The announcers seem knowledgeable and the music they play I enjoy.

The mighty NCPR. I known I've beaten this particular horse to death, but where I live, northern New York, is a hardscrabble place. We are lucky to have a public radio station this good - years ago they rejected the "Just repeat NPR's national programming" argument and the station is a superb mix of (some) NPR/syndicated programming, much, much local music programming across most genres and a top notch local news operation.

Seriously, they're one of the best, if not the best, small public in the country. They've got repeaters everywhere, but the official call for the home station is WSLU-FM out of Canton, NY.

s.

Many of these posts make me homesick for the SF Bay Area.:(

My favorite was KKUP, a 200 watt transmitting from Loma Prieta, by the Radio Club of Cupertino. It was a fun club station - I got to DJ on occasion.- "Date Night with Mr. Joseph."

When I had the APS-13 on a rotor in San Jose, I could pickup KPIG when the fog layer was right. KCSM was another favorite.

When I moved to Hanford, Washington, there was a PBS college station from Pullman that had a few good shows worth listening to.

Here in Abu Dhabi, only "Abu Dhabi Classic" at 91.6 has appeal. No need for call letters in this market!

WXPN in Philadelphia. 88.5 FM, with repeaters in Baltimore, Jersey, and Harrisburg / Lancaster PA. They stream their over-the-air programming, plus a second channel.

Member supported (non-NPR) radio from the University of Pennsylvania. It's staffed by pros and definitely not a college station. A vast variety of music with an emphasis on newer Indie artists, but always a steady sprinkling of classic rock, country, folk, blues, and roots, and just about every genre except classical. They are the originator of World Cafe, a syndicated show carried by lots stations across the country. I listen to Kids' Corner almost every weeknight.

Back
Top Bottom