Your Favorite FM Station

Jazz fans in South Florida are fortunate to have two stations to enjoy, WDNA listener supported radio on 88.9 and WLRN, the local NPR affiliate on 91.3.

WDNA has Jazz, Latin and World Music. They have knowledgeable DJ's, many who have been there for decades.

WLRN has the incomparable Tracy Fields playing Jazz every night from 9:30 to 1:00 AM. Sunday evenings, Ted Grossman's Night Train show runs every Sunday night from 8 to Midnight. This show covers big bands and traditional jazz. Ted has been doing this show for 40 years now.

WLRN also has the usual NPR feeds during the day and a crack local news crew.

Ed

I mostly listen to the local NPR station, WHRO FM 89.5.
I also like the WTYD FM 92.3, a local station that does not appear tied to a specific format.
They play what they like, and I like that about them.

I like Hampton University's jazz station, WHOV 88.1 for late night listening.

Every other station in my area is too formulaic in their playlist to interest me.

KRTU-FM 91.7 in San Antonio TX is a listener supported station that plays Jazz from 5:00am through 10:00pm every day with Indy Rock after 10PM. The DJs are very knowledgeable regarding Jazz history and play all styles of Jazz. They recently increased their power to 32,000 watts on a higher tower with excellent signal quality. I support the station yearly and was one of the contributors to the new transmitter and tower.

My two favorite shows are on WFMU(well, one is on their online only branch "Give The Drummer Radio"), so both have to be listened via stream. Locally in the SF/Bay Area lucky to have several good FM stations that I can listen to through the Mac MX110 tuner. Most of the time is classical KDFC.

My favorite lies in the past, in Jackson, MS, in the 1970s - WZZQ, 102.9, playing then-current rock, with DJs having the freedom to play pretty much whatever they wanted. I've forgotten which night was new album night but recorded those quite often. It changed formats to country back in the 80s, and was moved further up the dial but never achieved its former popularity. I decided to browser-search it and just found this:

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2009/sep/16/zzq-revisited/

WFMT 98.7 FM in Chicago. Between "Today's classical playlist" on AK and the selections from the station, I'm in the midst of a ravishing love affair with classical music.

Living near Detroit I have 2 in the memory on both my receivers....CBC Radio2 89.9 across the river in Windsor and WRCJ 90.0 in Detroit. Both play classical, jazz, and modern. Nice mix and good reception.
Same here. Both great stations with interesting playlists. I also listen to a couple of the NPR stations within range. Once in awhile WCSX when we're in a classic rock mood.

Back
Top Bottom