Your favorite headphones: Opinions Wanted

Thanks Night1, for your feedback in the form of the great, in-depth review! I'll second all of what you wrote, being a proud owner of the same model.

TerryO wrote:
I've been using Sennheiser headphones since 1975. While I've listened to a number of very good cans, in the end I've always ended up with Sennheiser's.
Presently, I've using the 580's. Having heard the newer (and more expensive) TOTL models, I don't believe there's a big enough difference to upgrade and would spend the difference on a new headphone amp, better tubes or even a new DAC. YMMV, TerryO

I'm pleased to know that Terry's been a Senn fan for decades as have I, although I own the model below the 580s. I've enjoyed every minute of the wonderful performance from my 560, series IIs for decades and basically wore out the cable. The pads are worn, too. I bought a new cable straight from Senn and they still perform fine, yet I was ready for a new set after so long, so I recently bought the 598s; what a great addition and I totally agree that after trying, the higher models just don't contribute enough extra to justify the leap in prices.

That said, I can only imagine the fine quality that their present and newest flagship model HD 800 must deliver :scratch2:. Taking that huge leap down in price from the flagship 800 (800, 650, 600, 598), the 598 being only the fourth down from the top should indicate something great right there.:yes:

+2 Sony MDR-V6 -- no competition in that price range. Full flat freq. respomnse, easy to drive, VERY comfortable, lightweight, fold-up, VERY sturdy and well built, good--looking, indestructable coil cord with combo jack, the choice of studios for 20 years, and what tumbleweed said:

+1. As long as you immediately replace those dreadful faux vinyl earpads with the velour ones from Beyerdynamic.

personally i loooove akgs :D so i would get the AKG K172HD which are on sale on harmans website for 199.99 or the AKG K142HD which are on sale for 159.99.

are we discussing favorite headphones now? if so,everyone already knows i'm probably one of the biggest fanboy of the AKG 240DF. nothing is as chameleon like and brings music to life once you finally get these to sing. when you do,music will begin to talk to you.

I paid $200 for my Sennheiser HD600's on Barter Town here in AK. They were used, but the best sounding headphones I've ever heard.

In my opinion you'll have a hard time beating the Audio Technica ATH-AD700's in the open back category , not only at there wholesale amazon price but in there MSRP price bracket. They give a very detailed and un colored sound and delver very accurate bass reproduction. They are also very light and comfortable, never had problems listing to them for long periods of time. The only drawbacks i can think of are the looks (to some people, I think they look cool) and some people have problems with the fit (though that's an issue with most headphones). If you're looking for a pair of great open back cans than look no further.

If you possibly can tolerate open cans you owe it open yourself to check out grados. I have some Grado sr-80's (the current ones are sr-80i) and they will pull you into another dimension. They're not the most comfortable phones in the world but they sound remarkable. I've had jvc had990s which I loved, Sony mdrv6 (mine are made in japan), Yamaha yh1, various Koss models and a couple sennheiser models. The mange infested dog of the batch was sennheiser hd485. Absolute total dog shit.

I need to get some new sealed ones and I'm tilting toward the audio technica ath-a900's or maybe ath-m50's both of which are very different from each other.

Also forget the current crop of Sony mdr-v6's. From what I've been able to determine they are now made in china and are not only poorly constructed but are also not as good sounding.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom