Your Favorite Jazz Artists... You may vote multiple times

Favorite Jazz performer/performers- vote for one or many

• Total voters
ok gentlemen, here's my favorite artists: Not in any particular order, just the Jazz artists I like all of them the same.
1. Chuck Mangione
2. George Benson
3. Bob James
4. Earl Klugh
5. Billy Cobham
6. Lee Ritenour
7. Dave Grusin
8. David Foster
9. Sonny Rollins
10. Herbie Hancock
11. Maynard Ferguson
12. Herb Alpert
13. David Sanborn
14. Kenny G.
15. Kim Waters
16. Down to the Bone
17. Ottmar Leibert
18. David Benoit
19. Louis Armstrong
20. Legendary Doc Cheatham
21. Count Basic
22. Bona-Fide

ok gentlemen, here's my favorite artists: Not in any particular order, just the Jazz artists I like all of them the same.
1. Chuck Mangione
2. George Benson
3. Bob James
4. Earl Klugh
5. Billy Cobham
6. Lee Ritenour
7. Dave Grusin
8. David Foster
9. Sonny Rollins
10. Herbie Hancock
11. Maynard Ferguson
12. Herb Alpert
13. David Sanborn
14. Kenny G.
15. Kim Waters
16. Down to the Bone
17. Ottmar Leibert
18. David Benoit
19. Louis Armstrong
20. Legendary Doc Cheatham
21. Count Basic
22. Bona-Fide

Man, you and I listen to a lot of the same music...

:music:

Al DiMeola
Return to Forever
Jean Luc Ponty
Paco de Lucia
Dave Grusin
Lee Ritenour
George Duke
Stanley Clark

Haven't seen his name on the list yet, how about Grant Green. I also love Charlie Parker, and early George Benson.

The names on my short list are here, but my #1 isn't. Now he is. Vince Guaraldi. A brilliant career cut tragically short.

I'll second Hank Mobley! Soul Station remains one of my favorite jazz albums. Freddie Hubbard deserves to be up there as well.

Unlike many Rock groups, many of these artists played with each other on many albums so how can you justify one over another? Hmmm. How many of these artists wrote "Standards"? One wrote more than a dozen. And he is the only one to do that on this list. Although I have no favorite.

Some of the artists I enjoy most, in alphabetical order

Abdullah Ebrahim
Bill Evans
Chic Corea
George Benson (early, as someone mentioned above)
Gino Vannelli
Hubert Laws
Return to Forever
Weather Report

I resisted the impulse to click each and every name on the list. I like them all; but the ones I selected are in my top 10 faves. Oh, and yet another Dave Brubeck fan here:yes:

Am I the only one here who listens to Art Tatum? Sadly, the quality of most of his recordings is sub par, but his ability blows away most pianists in my opinion.

One of my favorite concert memories is of Tommy Flannigan playing at a small club in S.F. Wow, the guy was unreal!

Al DiMeola
Return to Forever
Jean Luc Ponty
Paco de Lucia
Dave Grusin
Lee Ritenour
George Duke
Stanley Clark

Now this is more my style, and I'll add

John McLaughlin (and Mahavishnu Orchestra)
Roy Hargrove
Chico Hamilton
Garaj Mahal

So many of the artists have collaborated (Ponty>Duke/Ponty>McLaughlin, etc.) that the list would be something else, but this style is what I like.

In terms of my favorites, here's a few I would include in that "others" category:

Duke
Maynard
Oscar Peterson
Joshua Redman (don't think I saw that name yet)
Jimmy Smith
Clifford Brown
Max Roach

I LOVE Sun Ra. I have several albums but Strange Celestial Road is my fave. It's the one where the "Arkestra" sound really gels and begins to sound like what I imagine an "Arkestra" would sound like- all playing at once but not necessarily playing the same song. It's a wonderful effect.

Some of my faves that didn't make it to the list: Herbie Hancock, Airto Moriera, Eric Dolphy, Prince Lasha, Alice Coltrane. And MILES! I'm nuts about his electric phase. I listen to Get Up With It, On the Corner and In a Silent Way all the time.

Some great calls here, like looking through my collection. Some notable misses so far:
Modern jazz Quartet
Ella Fitzgerald
Bud Powell
Billie Holiday
Benny Goodman
Dinah Washington
Herbie Nichols
Sonny Rollins
Joe Pass, etc, etc, etc.

My personal favorite jazz musician is the great sax player Zoot Sims. One of the legion of Lester Young disciples who played with style and grace. One of the Four Brothers in Woody Herman's Thundering Herd with Stan Getz. He played with Benny Goodman, Oscar Peterson, Sweets Edison, Joe Pass, Buddy Rich, Jimmy Rowles, Bucky Pizzarelli and the list goes on.

Here are some cds I can whole heartedly recommend if you dig straught ahead jazz: http://www.amazon.com/Zoot-at-Ease-Sims/dp/B00003L9GR (Zoot At Ease with Hank Jones, etc.)

http://www.amazon.com/Zoot-Sims-Gershwin-Brothers/dp/B000000YOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226077805&sr=1-1
(Zoot Sims & The Gershwin Brothers. With Oscar Peterson et al.)

Pretty much anything recorded by Norman Granz of Zoot for the Pablo label is worth buying. Enjoy.

I'd like to put in 5,000 votes for Coltrane, 3,500 for Monk and 3,200 for Mingus, please.
And write in King Oliver, Teddy Wilson, Count Basie.

Back
Top Bottom