Your Favorite Photographer - Past or Present

Also add Dick Arentz (platinum-palladium),
Eugene Smith (great story teller),
Weegee, (photojournalist)
Michael Kenna (beautiful existing light b-w photographer)
and John Sexton (an assistant to Ansel Adams in the '70s)

Edward Weston, first. I especially like the portraits he made of his girlfriend. I love the way he new how to use light on the subject. I try to do the same things with my portraits, sometimes I get it.
Ansel Adams, second. I just saw a large exhibit of his works at the Cleveland Museum Of Art. I believe they were from a private collection, and there were many prints I had never seen before.

Edward Weston, first. I especially like the portraits he made of his girlfriend. I love the way he new how to use light on the subject. I try to do the same things with my portraits, sometimes I get it.
Ansel Adams, second. I just saw a large exhibit of his works at the Cleveland Museum Of Art. I believe they were from a private collection, and there were many prints I had never seen before.

Which girlfriend? He had several as he (and his son Brett) were quite the womanizers even though he was married. :naughty:

Which girlfriend? He had several as he (and his son Brett) were quite the womanizers even though he was married. :naughty:
I've only seen photos of this one, she was his second wife I think:
Charis37.jpg

Frank Hurley, was with Ernest Shackleton on the Endurance trip to Antarctica, great images AND a great story of survival.

Many greats already mentioned. I will add O. Winston Link to this list. His B&W photography of steam railroading in Appalachia during the 1950's recorded the passing of a way of life in America.

Jerry Uelsmann
I missed your post the first time around, Eric. Also one of my favorites, and I had the privilege of seeing an exhibit of his work in 1992. Print reproductions of his work are no comparison to his original prints.

Josef Sudek
Another great, also known as the "Poet of Prague". Sudek lost his right arm in WWI, but still hiked all over the Russian countryside with a view camera, tripod, and bag of plate holders. An amazing individual. Even thought he is better known for his landscape (and cityscape) work, some of my favorite pieces of his are the smaller interior studies of his desk and studio.

There are quite a few. Man Ray, Robert Frank, Diane Arbus, Cartier-Bresson. Many more depending on my mood. Tentoze mentioned Jerry Ulesmann. He isn't really a favorite of mine but he is a very nice man. He was a guest artist at my college back in the early 70's. The things he could do in the darkroom frightened me! He was very kind to all the star struck photography students like me.

Back
Top Bottom