Your Favorite VCR

Bimphert

Just wondering if I could get your recommendations for a good quality VCR (used of course)???

Models you've had good results with in the past. My last VCR was a Marantz MV5100.

I'd look for a good deal on one of the Mitsubishi S-VHS decks. Just replaced the belt on my HS-U69 and it works flawlessly. Bought it new in '95 and put lots of miles on it.

As far as reliability and quality, I would suggest a JVC HR-S5900 if you can find one in good working condition. Of course it is discontinued. It is a lot simpler mechanically and circuitry-wise than a lot of the older "built like a tank" models and should give trouble-free service. I repaired VCRs for 27 years for a living and that model JVC is what I have in my main system. It plays all the standard and S-VHS tapes I recorded on Mitsubishi, JVC, and Panasonic VCRs I owned over the years. Problems I've seen with the HS-U69 are usually electrolytic caps failing in hi-fi audio, video and tuner circuits, worn out brake pads, pinch roller, back tension band, belt, relatively simple repairs but mechanical parts are no longer available, even for newer Mitsubishis made as late as 2000-01.

I own a Panasonic PV-4760 4 head VHS Hi-Fi VCR. It's heavy, cool LED VU meters, solid and works quite well. Bought it for $9.99 with remote at Goodwill.

I also have a Mitsubishi HS-U69 that someone gave to me, it needed a new belt and everything works except for the SVHS portion. Trying to record SVHS results in unplayable tapes on it or on another SVHS machine, SVHS made on another machine are also unplayable. I have several Panasonics made before 2002 that I like and have given little problems.

Sony, JVC, and Mitsubishi all made (or at least sold under their brand names) some very nice consumer VHS (and Super-VHS) HiFi Audio/Video VCRs. VC of course originated the VHS format. Mid 80s to early 90s was the heyday of nice consumer HiFi VCR equipment.

FWIW, I've owned and used a Zenith-branded HiFi VHS since 1986. It produces and reproduces excellent VHS HiFi audio. This machine is rather unique in that it has a smaller (squarer) footprint enabled by a sidewase-loading configuration for the tape.

Here it is in use last December, dubbing holiday music from vinyl to VHS HiFi stereo audio. This deck has variable record level controls and peak/average reading fluorescent meters for level monitoring.

attachment.php

Professional decks are also a good thing to consider, as would be (if you're producing tapes ab initio) a good Beta HiFi deck (Sanyo and Sony come to mind).

I cannot suggest model numbers, at least off the top of my head. I am far from expert.

Last edited:
For Beta, avoid the Sony SL5000 deck and its Zenith equivalent(#?), very trouble prone, from 1st hand experience.

I have a Sony SL-HF550 that I like, it has pretty good video quality. It has the interesting feature of being able to record PCM audio onto the tapes - it has no A/D or D/A converters, it is just the mechanism for recording. :scratch2: It does have LED audio level meters, input volume sliders, and a variable headphone out. Unfortunately, tuning to channels is really clunky (and it can't tune to channels between 41 and 62 or something like that for some reason), so it is just sitting in my basement, unplugged, to save the VFD. Pretty solid unit, though. I love the clear window on the top so you can see the progress of the tape.

sonysuperbetamaxsl-hf550_1.jpg

I would look into some of the final DVHS decks that were made. HD video on SVHS tapes as well as being really nice VHS and SVHS players.

Ive got a Hitachi VCR thats so old, the remote connects to the VCR via wire. Still works well.

Get you a Panasonic pro editing VHS deck if possible. Much better than consumer toy like decks. Much more durable and easier to service.

Wow, LOTS of good ideas.... I wouldn't mind finding a used Marantz MV8300. I think it was released in '03. It's HD unit (D-VHS) capable of also playing S-VHS and VHS. I don't really need an HD VCR but if I ever find one used, I'll have to scoop it up.

In the meantime, I just want a decent quality unit with decent video AND Audio and of course, RELIABLE!

I still have my old Sony DVP S7000 DVD player and it functions flawlessly. Recently replaced all the old Electrolytics and now it's good to go!

That's a good idea (Pro VHS Deck) although I'm not looking for a unit for editing, just for playback (old movies etc). Not sure about the old Betas. No experience with those! Are you referring to the old Beta Max version?

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions! :thmbsp:

`

For Beta, avoid the Sony SL5000 deck and its Zenith equivalent(#?), very trouble prone, from 1st hand experience.

Honestly I'd just avoid beta all together at this point in time. For VHS players I would go with the creator (JVC) of the format's offerings form the mid 80's to the mid late 90's.

I like Panasonics, but they're hit and miss. My present one is 13 years old. I had another in that time that didn't last 11 months!

Tom

Get you a Panasonic pro editing VHS deck if possible. Much better than consumer toy like decks. Much more durable and easier to service.

Mine is a somewhat low-end AG-1960, but my buddy has some of the bigger ones (numbers escape me at the moment), but they're incredible, picture-quality wise.

I love my jvc hr-s8000u but unless its recently had a good one over by a competent tech be weary. There is a lot to go wrong with them. However as a brand jvc should be on your list. I've also heard great things about mitsubishis as well. I fully support panasonics though. My second vcr was amagnavox but in those days panny was building many others brands deck.s including that one. It has a super beefy diecast transport. Id imagine their own premium decks would be ever better.

I can certainly vouch for the more recent JVC decks. Very simple mechanically, and at least around here parts like clutches and belts are still easily available. Some JVC chassis though are to be avoided.
I have a recent Mitsubishi, works really well, has since new, but no parts for when it does give trouble:tears:
Wouldn't touch anything Panasonic unless it had a D deck or older mechanism. (But not too many HiFi models) More recent ones have power supply issues in a big way and have a knack for all things wearing out at the same time, good design in some ways, but a nightmare on the second hand market. On the up side, parts for all but the most recent ones are still available, but at a ridiculous price.
Sony VHS is generally not to be bothered with in my experience, costly parts and early motor failure can be an issue. The best of the older ones can be a mechanical nightmare. The most recent ones here used a Samsung deck with a small gear in part of the clutch that broke in two. Regular cause of failure on these.
Of some of the old ones, i have had great experience with older Akais, some are pretty nice, built like tanks and not too hard to work on. Hard to find in HiFi though.
In this country working Beta machines go for stratospheric prices, especially if they are HiFi units. Sony units are popular, but the Sanyo decks are generally more sought after as they are generally considered more durable. Other brands can be hard to source parts for. But all these old decks can have problems that could write them off. Have to be careful and well research your purchase.
Cheers
Tony

I have had several brands and the best were the Panasonics. I still have a couple 4 head Hi-Fi models that work perfectly. No matter what you get, make sure it is Hi-Fi/stereo. The sound is near CD quality.

Have an old friend whom I just ran into.... He used to do a lot of video editing (professionally) and he basically said that there are only two brands I seriously consider!

JVC and/or Panasonic!

Of the Panasonics, he recommended the AG-1980. For JVC, he recommends the SR-VD600U or the HR-S9911. He also mentioned that although most people view the JVC SVHS series as the TOTL, many of them (he used in the past) also were notorious for destroying tapes. Therefore, he suggested the DVHS line (SR-VD600U in particular).

I have NO prior experience with any of these models. I am hoping that someone here has some experience with JVC (and the different models to consider). I'm leaning towards JVC because they have been recommended the most here, not to mention they were also the pioneers of VHS.

So, any specific models "you" would recommend!

'

I'd have to go with JarredCrowe and say the jvc hr-s8000u, it may not be one of the most common players but damn is it good plus it's got some real looks.
JVCHR-S8000UMACGYVER1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom