Your first experience with McIntosh

As soon as I started working in the 1970s, I got into "high end" audio but I lusted after Mac gear. I bought an MC2200 to drive the heck out of my Magneplanar Tympani 1Ds. I soon drifted off into the nether world of "high end" electronics, selling my MC2200 for ARC, and later other stuff. But I always remembered that MC2200 fondly.

Recently having rediscovered Mac, I made sure to buy an MC2205 (love those meters). Should never have sold the 2200!

I also had a MC2200 before trading it for a MC2205. It sounded just as good, but had a very basic front panel. Ironically the MC2205 here gets stored/shipped in a 2200 carton. See at the bottom of this pic:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/g-abbey/Mc_boxes.jpg

No.. that's not all my junk in there. :)

-Gregory

Am guessing that there is no-one at McIntosh who would remember Dan Greenfield (talk about an eccentric, that was Dan - carried a snub-nosed 38 in his back pocket), who owned Danby Electronics on 21st Street in Center-City Philadelphia. When I got back from VN and returned to engineering school out on 33rd and Walnut I lived on 20th and would occasionally walk past Danby on the way to school. Ended up with a pair of MC60s. That is one pair of amps I should have hung on to. Don't begin to compare to the new MC275 for sonics, but still...........

I'm a newbee to Mac equipment-since '05. I've had mid-fi equipment since high school. I have heard of Macs but never had the interest because of cost. I finally got a real job. I had a sonic revelation when I auditioned it 2 years ago at a dealer. First the MC 402 then the C2200 then MCD201 then for this x-mas season I have my MC501s.:banana: My collection is almost there!?

I fell in love with Mac in the late 60's, visiting the great dealers we had then in Houston. Bought my first in 1973, when I traded my Pioneer, Teac system for MA 6100 and MR 77! Also went from ML 1's to ML2's to XR5's. In 1980 Dave O'Brien talked me into trading the 6100 for a new 6200 for Power Guard to keep from buring out my tweeters. I still have that system today!! Thanks to this forum, I now have MC 252, C46, MCD 201, LS 320 & LS 340's!! The support here can not be beat. THANKS ALL!

I don't recall the exact age, but when I was very young (10? 12?), playing
guitar, listening to music, playing with wires and plugs to get the 45rpm
record player to sound better, I also was reading the hi-fi rags of the day...
I sent in a "bingo card"/response card to McIntosh to get more info.

One day, the phone rang, my father (same first name as me) answered, and
said "speaking..." Someone from Mac called as a follow up, wanting to
discuss equipment, preferences and all that! The equipment was way beyond
our modest means, and yes, scowling looks were thrown in my direction.

Fast forward quite a few years...

I picked up a C2200 a few weeks ago.

This seemed an innocuous thread at first...

My first Mac experience was at a show in the UK about 2 years ago, and i cant overstate it. I'd heard of Mac in reviews, and through word of mouth as gear "for the well off" and didnt give it much more thought. When I walked into the demo room and heard it for the first time it was a revelation. That sounds like idle chat but, honestly, I couldn't bring myself to leave. and even when i did, i dragged my friends back 3 times!

I'd never heard such(to my ears) an ideal balance of wamth, detail and emotional involvement. And i'd listened to more than a few systems over the years! well, it's taken a little time but 5 weeks ago, thanks to an unexpected bonus at work, i got my Mac system. I could describe the hifi experience, or the nights listening to the music, but hey, everyone reading this has been there and i'm preaching to the converted!

So why post now, my first post after so long as a member of AK? It's definitely this thread. I've read many over the last year or so that informed me, but none so much that have made me smile and nod in agreement. I could quote others that have put it far more eloquently than I, but I've just spent the last hour absorbing every word that has been said on this thread and i felt i had to add in my part.

Thanks Ryan, for the best thread posted here, and for knowing about the sickness....!

To Ron C and all at MAC, keep putting out that gear guys.

Oh, and by the way, I got a MC201, a 402 power amp and Sonus Faber Cremona speakers. Heaven! :music:

Back
Top Bottom